Brewer Fanatic

Escobar

As Mass pointed out in yesterday's link report, Alcides Escobar is still just 20 years old and is spraying singles all over the Huntsville outfield. His batting average is sitting right around .300 in what is turning into a decent sample size (170 ABs.) But aside from his statistics he isn't someone that I've followed very closely, so I have some questions for those that have seen him play or follow the link reports more closely than I do.

Does he have the potential to add any more power? From what I remember in spring training from the last couple of years he almost appears to be so small that there may not be much room to build a lot of muscle. (He's 6' - 1'' and 155 pounds.)

He has stolen about 30 bases per year the last two years. Is he fast enough that with some solid coaching and improving his instincts he could crank that up to 40 per year? (of course he would also need to cut down on his caught stealing (12) this year. If he could, it seems like he could be a great leadoff hitter down the road.

What are the brewer's plans with him? If he continues to hit the magical .300 for the rest of the year in Huntsville does he get the bump to Nashville to start next year or does he have more to prove at the AA level?

I know that his defense is solid, but what are his strengths? (range, arm, consistency, etc...)

Thanks for all the help!

From the reports and videos I've seen, he has an absolute cannon of an arm. I've also read that he may be the slickest fielding prospect in the system. If he continues to fill out and produce, I could see him being moved to 2B.

I saw him play in Huntsville last month. He definitely is thin. Rail thin. But he was very slick in the field - made every play that came his way except for a slow roller that he tried to bare-hand and throw to first, couldn't quite pick it. That would have been an outstanding play, so you can't hold that against him. He does have a rocket arm. All things considered, we should be excited for his future.

Archived