Brewer Fanatic

The craziest thing just happened to me...

jaybird2001wi
I didnt know dogs could cry?

They don't cry like us (in terms of tears) but they get upset and start whimpering. It's rather annoying. It's like a whimper/bark/howl. It's what they do when they're upset, scared, etc. Especially little puppies. Often times the whimpering turns to full blown barking.

I highly doubt the bat got into the house from you leaving a door open a tad too long. Just as Toby reminded all, they're rodents that can fly. A much, much better bet is a crack/hole in the foundation or near the roof. Sorry to hear about the traumatized dog; I hope all is well there! (I have a huuuuuge soft-spot for dogs!)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I had a bat in my house once. Once it got into a room that I could close off, I just shut the door. He attached himself to the patio door screen. I opened it and he flew out. It was really easy and took less than a minute to 'free' him to go outside and continue his job of eating insects.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I went up north to my cabin a few years ago with a friend. We slept out on the screen porch because it was a nice night. About 3am I'm sound asleep and get woken up to my friend throwing his pillow at my head. He goes, Jason, dude, there are bats everywhere. I looked up and there were about 10 bats flying around inside of the screen porch. Now I hate bats, so I did what all macho dudes do..I screamed and ran into the cabin. My friend picked up a fishing pole and started swinging but didn't get any as bats are quick as lightning. He opened the screen door and came into the cabin. I haven't slept out there since. Every time I see a bat, I think of that night.

I'm a big fan of the broom technique. When I was up in La Crosse for school a few years ago, we routinely had bats in our apartment. They would always sneak in through my roommate's closet. If he didn't jam a towel underneath the door, I'd be called in to take them down. I was actually very surprised how easily they would succomb to a little kitchen broom. Sometimes I'd barely make contact w/them and they'd still be knocked out. I did have fun whipping them in all directions out of the apartment though!

The vast majority of bats do not carry rabies. If you come across a bat that is unable to fly, then you should be concerned. But if it is dive bombing your coffee table it is a safe bet that it's a non-infected bat that simply wants to go outside where plenty of insects are out and about. Also, the easiest way to get them out of the house is to simply close all the doors except the one that leads outside. They will find their own way out rather quickly. You should try to limit contact with them as their guano is quite capable of harbouring any number of pathogens, besides rabies, that are quite dangerous to humans.

Which means bashing them with objects isn't very smart, or disease concious.

Archived