Brewer Fanatic

Anit-virus software

NeedMoreFans

I just got a new computer and it came with a 90 day trial of Norton. I've had the computer for one day and I already hate Norton. Are there any good free anti-virus/anti-spyware programs out there for download? Any good firewalls? If need be, I'd be willing to pay a little bit, but I know there are some freebies out there that are pretty good. What does everyone use?

(added tag --1992)

Go to Avast dot com and get their free version. I've used it for years, and it works well without causing conflicts. It updates daily, so you're always up to date. It automatically scans downloads, emails, web pages, etc., so that you catch the nasties before they get in. Also, if you set your screen saver to "Avast Antivirus" it will automatically scan every time your machine goes into screensaver mode.

I don't like it because it bogs the system down. Anytime it does something and I'm running a program, my computer slows down a lot. The new Norton that came with my computer also has a "protection" program, which is popping up continually saying it is fixing a problem. How do I have a problem on a new computer? Then it keeps telling me it creates new rules for programs. Uggg, I'm sure there are settings I could change to get rid of those annoyances.

Well I know you can set up the level of protection you want. I myself don't have it set-up to run a full scan till the middle of the night. I in two years using it have never run in to the problems you describe. There is a reason why it one top selling anti-virus programs. Having a worm or virus can cripple your computer and possibly compromise personal info.

Archived