Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 8/14 -- Latest: More on Chapman's HR Mark

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

http://www.dailymail.com/story/Sports/+/2007081553/Power%27s+Chapman+enters+record+books/

Power's Chapman enters record books

Michael Dailey

Charleston Daily Mail sportswriter

West Virginia Power outfielder Steve Chapman entered Tuesday night's game against the visiting Charleston RiverDogs just one big swing away from etching himself into the team's South Atlantic League franchise record book.

Chapman, the Milwaukee Brewers' sixth- round pick in the June 2004 baseball draft, entered the game with 19 homers, trailing only Jason Parsons, who swatted 20 homers in 1997.

For Chapman, who entered the season with 16 career homers in three professional seasons, securing a spot in the franchise's record book would be honor.

"I set a goal of hitting 10 homers this season, so it's nothing that I'm trying for," said Chapman about an hour before first pitch. "Of course, it would be nice to have a record in my name. I've never held a record before."

That was until the 6-foot, 180-pound Chapman deposited a one out, ninth-inning fastball over the right field wall.

Chapman's solo shot wasn't enough to prevent a 7-3 loss to the RiverDogs, but it did secure a spot in Charleston baseball history for the 22-year old prospect.

The blast tied Chapman with Parsons and Karl Pagel, a star for the Class AAA Charleston Charlies, as the only players with 20 homers in Charleston since 1981.

The single season record holder is Luke Easter, who hit 30 homers for the 1955 Charleston Senators of the Class AAA American Association. The Senators' Bob Chance (Class AA Eastern League) and Richie Zisk of the Charlies smacked 26 homers in 1963 and 1972, respectively.

"I was seeing the ball pretty good today," said Chapman, who finished with three of the Power's six hits. "I was glad I could get number 20 under my belt. I wasn't trying to hit home runs, but it's always in the back of your mind.

"Getting number 20 out of the way, it should be a lot easier to hit 21, I would think. But I'm happy to be able to put my name in the record book.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to break it."

But when he does break the record, it won't be the first home run record at Appalachian Power Park this season.

The team has already shattered the Class A SAL franchise record for homers in a season.

West Virginia has 104 team homers this season, easily eclipsing the former benchmark of 91 homers by the Cincinnati-affiliated Wheelers in 1992.

The Power's other double-digit homerun hitters are Kenny Holmberg and Andrew LeFave, with 14 apiece, along with Taylor Green (12) and Brent Brewer (10).

Power hitting coach Corey Hart credit's the team's approach at the plate for the record-setting power performance.

"I think they have a good approach at the plate," Hart said. "They're trying to hit line drives and use the middle of the field. That's when you hit home runs. When you try to hit home runs, you don't.

"When you take a good swing, the swing is shorter and quicker. The looser you are the better swing you take. When they just take a nice short swing and the bat goes through the zone, it's easier to hit home runs."

Chapman isn't exactly sure what's prompted the team's long ball surge, but credits an offseason workout regiment and the team's hitter friendly park for his personal surge.

"I don't know," Chapman said when asked the difference in this season and those in the past. "If I knew what it was, I'd definitely do it again this winter.

"It's a good hitter's park, especially for a lefty at 320 feet down the right field line. And maybe I'm getting a little older and a little stronger.

Last offseason I trained for a lot more strength instead of speed because I knew it would be a longer season.

"Maybe that helped. I'm not really sure."

Archived