Brewer Fanatic

new to bowling league, advice needed

patrickgpe

I am going to assume that some people here have been or are in a bowling league. The guys at work have got me to join their team. I have bowled a couple times in my life, and can have an average about 130, which is not great but I hope I can improve over the course of the season. Its a 100% handicap league so i will still be able to compete with everyone.

My question is, how important is it to get my own ball. Does anyone know of a way to get a cheap one that is of a decent fit. I know the few times i have bowled i could not get a ball to fit my comfortably. Can I go to a sporting good store and get fitted. I am very ignorant on this so any help is appreciated.

as someone who carries 4 different balls with him to bowl i may be able to help out. The best advice is go to the pro shop at one of the houses near you and talk with the pro there. Depending on how you bowl he will be able to show you the right type of ball to use, and he will also be able to have it drilled perfectly to your hand and to the type of throw that you do. I would expect to pay around 100 for a ball.

You definitely have to get your own ball. House balls are a joke.

I'd look into a low end or midrange ball. You'll go to a pro shop and see balls that are $150-$250 drilled. You don't need any of these.

As jwill said, you'll be looking to spend $100.00 or less for a ball that's fitted and drilled for you.

I'd think about buying a urethane ball or a low end reactive ball. But go to a shop and tell the guy you're new to bowling and want a ball for a beginner. He'll probably set you up with a plastic ball if you determine you never want to try and hook the ball. He might set you up with a urethane or weak reactive resin ball if you possibly want to learn how to hook it some time.

You could end up with a plastic ball (Ebonite Maxim's are good, as are Brunswick's Viz-a-ballz) fitted and drilled for you at around $65.00 or so. but act quick. Pro shops tend to get VERY busy around this time of year and you might end up waiting longer for your ball. The pro shop guy is usually going to make his regular customers a higher priority. And since the shops tend to be really busy right before leagues start up they don't always have a lot of time to drill equipment.

I usually go to "Dave's World Pro Shop" in West Allis. He's a good guy, fits and drills reasonably well and won't rip you off. In fact I've gotten some amazing deals from him.

Also, buy shoes! They pay for themselves. You can get a pair for $30.00. Consider it costs $2.00 to rent them every time, after 15 trips to the lane the shoes are paid for. Get a ball and get some shoes. You'll enjoy the game a whole lot more.

I'll also recommend that you get your own ball. You could also try to find a used ball at the pro-shop in a move to save some money. A lot of the shops will carry used balls that didn't suit the previous owners style...

Also, get your own shoes. Like was stated previously, they will pay for themselves over the course of a season. You will also bowl better with a new pair of shoes that actually fits YOU instead of the 3000 people that have worn them before...

Edit - not to hi-jack this thread but do any other bfan.net guys bowl in the Oshkosh area?

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

No, I bowl in Milwaukee. I just finished up a PBA Experience summer league. Those oil patterns were insanely tough. Can't wait to go back to a house shot this fall. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Also to the parent, a lot of times Pro Shops will have sales for beginner bowlers which include a nice beginners ball, shoes, a bag and a towl for like $120.00 or something. Usually dependent on the ball you get.

My advice on what ball to get for a new bowler is a Brunswick Power Groove Reactive. They don't cost much and they are reactive so you can learn to throw a hook. And if you become good and want better equipment down the road, it works as a dry oil ball or spare ball.

But if you're never going to desire a hook shot, just get a plastic ball like an Ebonite Maxim.

I laugh at the people who seem to think you only need one ball if you want to be competive at bowling. I carry three different "hook" balls with two having the same grip and the another with a more open grip to more hook. I also carry a plastic, non-reactive ball for 10 pins. You think i am bad, my step dad bowls on the senior tour and has over 16 balls at home and carries 6-8 with him for tournys.

Yep, you absolutely must have your own ball. House balls are garbage and unpredictable. You want the same feel and action on your ball every week or you'll never really get good because you'll be adjusting to a new junk house ball every week. Even if your ball is low end, you'll still benefit from predictability and comfort that comes from using the same ball every week.

If you're a hack bowler like me, your own ball won't do much. When I used to bowl weekly, I'd average 145-150, before and after, 130-135. We've never found my ball since we moved, and I can't say it's much difference, though troublesome to find a ball that feels good sometimes.

A ball was a great christmas gift from my brother a few years back. However, I only bowl in Wisconsin, so I don't get to do it much. Still, it's a blast. I throw a straight ball, but if I ever enter a league I want to get a ball drilled for hook and learn to throw it. Actually the best for me was getting chalk. I have friends that need rosin, but I need chalk to absorb moisture as my hands get sweaty

I didnt mean it that way, sorry. I should have said i laugh at people when they make fun of the fact why i bring 4 different balls. I then have to explain the different lane types, oil patterns etc. I didnt mean it as a knock, just an observation.

I've got one bowling ball. It's resin, I believe, with a couple big, fat Milwaukee Brewers logos on it. It's sweet. I'm really not a regular bowler but I can get it 160-170 when I can go out once a week.

As for oily lanes and such, I'm sure it's a big deal if you've got a hook or a regular bowler. For the regular folks, like me, with a straight approach and release (left-handed, mind you, although for fun sometimes I'll bowl an entire game 1st ball with right hand and then try to clean up with my left on the second ball) oil levels and such are not a concern. Now, bowlers that don't know bowling etiquette? That's another story.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I grew up with two parents who bowled regularly (each was in their own league--mom still is--and they bowled in a couples league), and Saturdays saw us watching the PBA on TV. Having your own ball is a plus regardless of how often you bowl--as several have said, it's so much easier to bowl well if you have the same ball everytime. There are a wide variety of ball types available (as has been mentioned); mine is a re-drill of my mom's old ball, after she got a new ball to go to fingertip grip. Shoes are also a plus--getting the right fit every time (not a stretched out pair) can make a difference in your game. Whatever you end up getting, have fun and good luck with your new team.

Community Moderator

Buying a new ball is a must, and new shoes will help as well--even if you only get the $30 ones. If you live in Milwaukee, I recommend going to B&G Golf on Burleigh--just west of 124th St. I have gotten coaching and drilling from Dwight and he is the best in Milwaukee and will give you honest advice on which ball to buy.

Sidenote: Anyone else planning on going to the USBC Masters at Miller Park this October?

Archived