Brewer Fanatic

Buying an XBOX 360, need help on accessory's to purchase

Marleyboo

OK, i've finally talked the wife into letting me purchase an xbox 360. I know I'm getting the 360 with the 20 gig hard drive and gears of war. I'm guessing that will run me around four twenty including tax. My question is that i think i can sneak one more accessory in without the little lady flipping out. What should it be? Do i need to buy a charger for the wireless controller that comes with it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(added tag --1992)

Not to be the voice of negativity, but...can you wait on that purchase a month or two?

Most gamers expect Microsoft to come out with a 65 nanometer chip for the 360 (which should remedy several of the problems with the console - loud cooling fans and the overheat / red ring of death that caused MS to extend console warranties for 3 years), some time before the start of the holiday season.

Additionally, there are already reports that the 'premium' 360 (20 GB HDD) is starting to show up on store shelves with an HDMI output. If you own an HDTV, or plan to, that might have real value for you.

As for the accessory question, I'd normally recommend the Wi-Fi adapter (if you need it to set up online play, and already have a Wi-fi router & broadband in your home).....but since you're on a budget, the Charge & Play probably makes the most sense.

Yeah, if you can wait, do so. Otherwise make sure you get one with a HDMI post (labeled on the box). Not only does it have an HDMI port, it comes with an extra heatsink which seems to solve the big issues the 360 has had.

Now there is a holiday bundle coming that includes Forza 2 and Marvel:Ultimate Alliance free. Right now you can get Top Spin 2 free at Best Buy or Table Tennis free at Circuit City.

I agree with the wait and see method, especially with holiday sales/specials coming up at Thanksgiving

slightly off-topic, but if your 360 does get a red ring o'death and you send it in, will they be fixing yours or sending a refurb or sending an upgraded unit with the new technology? I would guess they send a refurb but at what point is it more beneficial to start actually fixing the flaw instead of replacing the same flawed parts?

I did some checking around. Amazon has the 20G Premium with an HDMI output listed on their website. Heres the link http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Console-20GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B000UQAUWW/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1/102-2723262-1824107

Supposedly Microsoft is slowly releasing them into stores without advertising it. So i think i will go to best buy and rummage through all of there boxes and look for the little HDMI logo.

Look for me in the Duluth Best Buy store. I'll be the one in the middle of the aisle with all the 360 boxes piled around me mumbling HDMI to myself.

Archived