Brewer Fanatic

8/14/2007: Cardinals (Wells) vs. Brewers (Capuano) 7:25 CT - Tribute to the great memories of Rafael Roque IGT

thablingster

"Braun hardly "lost" this game for the Brewers. How about Capuano not being able to pitch?"

In the fifth with the Brewers leading 3-2 Cappy does what he is suppose to do getting Rolen to two hop it Braun. You can't assume a double play but it was perfect and Braun oled at it. You need to knock that ball down at the minimum but if he gets it the Brewers are leading 3-2 at the mid point instead of down 8-3. The \game was over but if a good defensive 3bagger would have held the lead for us. Growing pains I understand but stop the ball!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Braun hardly "lost" this game for the Brewers. How about Capuano not being able to pitch?"

In the fifth with the Brewers leading 3-2 Cappy does what he is suppose to do getting Rolen to two hop it Braun. You can't assume a double play but it was perfect and Braun oled at it. You need to knock that ball down at the minimum but if he gets it the Brewers are leading 3-2 at the mid point instead of down 8-3. The \game was over but if a good defensive 3bagger would have held the lead for us. Growing pains I understand but stop the ball!

Braun's error was a two run error, not a five run error, although I understand your thought behind it, I have to disagree. Before Braun ever mis-played that ball the bases somehow got loaded with one out. Before that play ever even happened HE (Cappy) put his defense in a position they should have never been in. Cappy stopped attacking hitters, and started knit-picking. Look at his first inning, he was attacking the zone and going right after hitters. All of the sudden, he decided to play it all cutesy and was nibbling around the plate. I know Braun had a key error last night, but that's hardly enough to cost the game. Pitching and lack of any offensive production from every player not named Prince or Ryan (and Geoff's one swing last night) is far greater the blame.

This game was a combination of poor pitching by us and little nub base hits for them.

I'm with you on poor pitching by us... The Cardinals though had a lot of solid line-drive hits though. -- It occurred to me as well -- watching our pitchers have to throw 50+ more pitches to get out of the game, that some of it may be poor pitching -- but then some of it may be professionals like Rolen, Edmonds, etc.. working the count better for more/better pitches. The only Cardinal batter that I thought the Brewers did well against was Ankiel -- but of course he is sort of a rookie, so that was to be expected.

Pitching and lack of any offensive production from every player not named Prince or Ryan (and Geoff's one swing last night) is far greater the blame

The defense certainly did not help -- the Cardinals got a lot of IF hits. Finesse pitchers like Capuano and Suppan HAVE to have good defense and a DP or 2 a game to help them stay on top of their game.

There is NO questioning the talent on this team. They definitely have the talent, so it's not that.

Rickie Weeks and his .207 BA told me to tell you hi!

Seriously though -- the talent on this team needs to be called out. All of our veterans are either crappy or platoon goofs, none of our pitchers are doing well, and players like Braun and Fielder, while mashing at the plate, are questionable on the field -- certainly our young guys could improve, but as it stands today, we are lacking in the talent department.

I somewhat agree with Ennder that the Cards have a below average lineup -- however, I think "not very good" with their veteran approach, will probably be good enough to seriously challenge for the NL central. If the Cubs and Crew can only get 4 hits off of guys like Kip Wells, the Cards lineup will beat you.

Some random notes from the game.

1.) Weeks looks slow on the field to me.

2.) I don't know how Braun's triple was not scored as an error.

3.) It seemed to me (sitting on the first base line) when Harvey's widow went to throw the first pitch -- Simmons went to hug/kiss her, and then shortly afterwards spit out a stream of Redman. I don't know if that was an intentional (and fitting) tribute to Harvey, but it made me laugh.

4.) Jim Gantner got lost before the national anthem. he was literally running out to 2b with his hat on his heart.

I didn't see Simba spit out anything but I did notice something I thought was pretty classy. After the ceremonial first pitch and the hug Bud came up to Ted and gave him a big hug. They talked for a ten seconds or so then you could see Ted ask Bud where his wife was. Bud pointed over to the seated area and Sue Selig came over gingerly and gave Simba a big hug. Great to see an athlete ask about a wife imo. It shows character and heart.

Braun's hit should have been an error but since he's on my fantasy team I didn't mind.

This team has too many easy outs

How can you follow up a 6 run inning with an 8 pitch inning. Work the count someone!

It looks to me like Yost should have some idea on a set linup by August 15th.

JJ in the 8th hole he is a five hundred hitter. I know it is a small sample, but he looked so much more relaxed. In the second hole he just looks to me anyway like he is very uncomfortable.

Weeks in the one hole to me is a crap shoot. You take what you get.

But moving Corey down in the lineup is just plain silly. I watched every game on the road trip and last nights game. I bet he has hit 15 to 18 hard line drives or balls deep in the gap that are just being caught. I know he's only hitting .233 as someone mentioned, but he certainly is making alot of loud outs.

And lastly why move Braun to the four hole, makes no sense. I know he had a good game last night, but mark my word his average is going to hurt in the long run because of this move. In the three hole it's very seldom that he doesn't get a pitch he can drive because they would rather face him than Prince.

So in closing Yost make up your mind and leave the lineup alone. Am I alone in this thinking.

Preferred lineup:

Weeks

Hart

Braun

Prince

Hall

Jenkins/Mench

Estrada/Miller

Hardy

Pitcher

This game was very bad. I missed the begining and Im glad I didnt sit through this game. I did catch Braun's HR. The only good thing about the game. I hope Cappy's ass gets sent to the pen. 0-15 the Crew is in his last 15 starts. That is just brutal. I hope Parra or Villy get his rotation spot, and then Sheets gets it when hes back.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived