Brewer Fanatic

8/14/2007: Cardinals (Wells) vs. Brewers (Capuano) 7:25 CT - Tribute to the great memories of Rafael Roque IGT

thablingster
Awesome game for the Cardinals today. In fact, I'd call it a statement game from them. The ol' "we ain't going away easily" in the divisional race type of display from them as they move within 4.5 of their usual divisional lead. Clicking on offense by stringing together hits, a come from behind W, and awesome pitching. I think of this as a wakeup call game for the Brewers. This Cardinals lineup is very good and the way our pitching staff has been, this could be a very bad series and they might be 2.5 back before we know it.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eckstein, Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Duncan, Molina.....I like it. They have the experience and talent around Pujols to make this race interesting down the stretch. Don't be so naive my friend. A 10 game lead in May or June doesn't guarantee anything. STL is going to make a run at us and I hope this 3-game series doesn't give them the confidence to springboard right past us and never look back.

They might make a run at us but that lineup is definitely one of the weaker ones in baseball. Eckstein is a well below average player, Edmonds is below average at this point, Rolen is below average, Molina has always been below average, the So Taguchis of the world are also below average. They are Ankiel, Pujols, Duncan and a bunch of suck on offense.

They have a solid bullpen, a solid bench and the best manager in the division so I'm not counting them out, but that team is just not high on talent in the lineup or the rotation.

Wow Ender calling St. Louis lineup weak? Are you kidding me, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Duncan, Eckstein, Ankiel, Molina, Ludwick. Pujols is Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds are still solid major leaguers, Eckstein is a scrappy lead-off hitter the kind that hits good with runners in scoring posistion, works counts. Ludwick has serious power, same with Ankiel, Duncan hits with average and power. Molina is our version of Estrada.

Wow Ender calling St. Louis lineup weak? Are you kidding me, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, Duncan, Eckstein, Ankiel, Molina, Ludwick. Pujols is Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds are still solid major leaguers, Eckstein is a scrappy lead-off hitter the kind that hits good with runners in scoring posistion, works counts. Ludwick has serious power, same with Ankiel, Duncan hits with average and power. Molina is our version of Estrada.

Only 2 teams in baseball have scored fewer runs than the cardinals. Only 5 teams in baseball have a lower OPS. Only 2 full time players on the entire team have over an .800 OPS. How is this a good offense?

Awesome game for the Cardinals today. In fact, I'd call it a statement game from them. The ol' "we ain't going away easily" in the divisional race type of display from them as they move within 4.5 of their usual divisional lead. Clicking on offense by stringing together hits, a come from behind W, and awesome pitching. I think of this as a wakeup call game for the Brewers. This Cardinals lineup is very good and the way our pitching staff has been, this could be a very bad series and they might be 2.5 back before we know it.

It'd be even better for the Brewers to make a statement themselves and win the next two games. That is still the small amount of liquid left in the glass half full approach, but I have to say it's getting emptier and emptier after every other pitcher we throw out there.

It'd be even better for the Brewers to make a statement themselves and win the next two games. That is still the small amount of liquid left in the glass half full approach, but I have to say it's getting emptier and emptier after every other pitcher we throw out there.

It's a bummer that it's turning into more of a glass is quarter full approach, which of course is better than glass is three quarters empty.

I just really hope they find something that makes them click, soon.

I have Ryan Braun in Fantasy but he lost the game for us on not getting that dp. I could see Don Money squirm on not getting to that ball. Someone earlier started a thread wondering if defense matters, well look at Braun's stats and mark this one down on him for not getting that ball. BTW why was Prince playing 15 feet off the line on Wells with 2 strikes on him. There are lots of problems with this team and no one is making plays. Great we had 3 HR's and they had 17 singles. Cubs lose but what a week for the Cards getting to play the two teams ahead of them who are playing so poorly.

This team needs to improve on pitching, the error at 3b was questionable, keep in mind the other plays made at 3b are only a sign of positive things to come. 19 hits, it makes no difference how many plays you make or not you can't win a game with that type of performance.

If we can hold on until September we at least get a few new arms in the pen that hopefully sparks the team. I feel we will win the next two games and move on.

I wish I could waste my 900th post on something else, but I think it is fair to say that Chris Capuano honored Rafael Roque the wrong way today: by pitching like him.

I really would like to see a move to the pen for a while for Cappy and either Parra or Villanueva (one can hope) get a few spot starts. Anything to get him going. I think it is fair to say that there is definitely something going on there.

I didn't read the entire IGT yet, but did anybody else notice the David Eckstein love-fest from Brian Anderson tonight? It's pretty much what every other announcer says so maybe it's not just Darin Sutton. I think he is a great story anyways, no matter what many people here think of him.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I couldn't bear to watch the rest of the game after Cappy was pulled in the 5th and decided to go to bed instead. My girlfriend said I was being rediculous for making that decision. I replied saying that I already knew what would transpire. I've seen this type of game over and over and over again.

...the bullben would completely melt down

...the bats would continue to be frozen

I'm glad I made the right decision after hearing the final score this morning.

I have Ryan Braun in Fantasy but he lost the game for us on not getting that dp. I could see Don Money squirm on not getting to that ball. Someone earlier started a thread wondering if defense matters, well look at Braun's stats and mark this one down on him for not getting that ball.

Braun hardly "lost" this game for the Brewers. How about Capuano not being able to pitch? How about the rest of the entire offense making Kip Wells look like freaking Roger Clemens circa 1993? You can't say that an error cost a team a game in the 4th inning (might have been the 5th, don't remember off-hand). A lead off man who can't get on, and zero production from 6,7,8, and 9 in my eyes all contribute more than a Braun error.

Did anyone else notice the cameraperson catch Yost asking Maddux if he should pull Cappy? Personally, I was asking for the move after he hit his second batter to load the bases. At that time is was a full gone conclusion that Capuano was not going to get out of the inning. Maybe Cappy should stay in the rotation, but if that is the case he should never see the 5th inning. He simply cannot make it out alive.

Archived