Brewer Fanatic

8/14/2007: Cardinals (Wells) vs. Brewers (Capuano) 7:25 CT - Tribute to the great memories of Rafael Roque IGT

thablingster

Kip Wells (5-13, 5.27) vs. Chris Capuano (5-9, 4.96)

I figured since we have a lefty going it was only fitting to have a tribute thread to our opening day starter in 1999, lefthander Rafael Roque. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew/image/1999/may/raf502.jpg

I know Brewers.com lists 7:05 as the time, but Uecker said on the broadcast Sunday first pitch time will be 7:25 because of the 82 team reunion thing going on Tuesday. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Feel free to delete as always if Woogie, etc. is around to make a high graphics IGT.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I think its fitting that we honor Roque in a game against the Cardinals. Remember in 1999, Lopes actually named Roque the opening day starter against St. Louis. The Crew won that game 10-8. Heck Sean Berry even hit a homer in that game. Did he hit another one the rest of the season?

Rafael went just 2 innings that day and only gave up 1 hit and 1 ER. But walked 5 batters.

Here is the box from that game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN199904050.shtml

Since we are honoring the 1982 team tonight. shouldn't we have a tribute to one of them?

I was going under the assumption we were continuing with the tributes to bad Brewers, as per brettac's suggestion:

I would like it to stick with players who were on the team when it was really awful and non-competive. Luckily there are no shortage of those players.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

In many ways Roque deserves this tribute and many more. Is there any other answer to the question who was the Brewers worst Opening day pitcher ever? Is there any better illustration of Geno's finest creation the designated rotation stooge? And when we are talking about the history of Brewerfan you have to think about Geno. More importantly the early comraderie forced upon all of us back in the ESPN days having to watch that epically bad rotation when Scott Karl was a #2 starter practically, and Jim Abbot was almost the ace for awhile. That shared experience proved to be the catalyst for so many of us turning to the minors and the Power 50 for any signs of hope. So there you have it my memorial to Raffy Roque.

Since we are honoring the 1982 team tonight. shouldn't we have a tribute to one of them?

bf.net's just filling a niche.

I vaguely remember being at Rafael Roque's MLB debut, which baseball-reference.com says was August 1, 1998 vs. Arizona. Mr. Roque gave up 3 runs, all earned, on 5 hits in 4 innings en route to a no-decision. Chad Fox blew the save and was charged with the loss in a 5-4 game.

Fun fact: Rafael was also the starting pitcher of record when the Brewers hosted the Cubs on September 23, 1998 - fondly known (around here, at least) as the "Brant Brown Game." He gave up one of Sammy Sosa's two home runs that day.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I vaguely remember being at Rafael Roque's MLB debut, which baseball-reference.com says was August 1, 1998 vs. Arizona. Mr. Roque gave up 3 runs, all earned, on 5 hits in 4 innings en route to a no-decision. Chad Fox blew the save and was charged with the loss in a 5-4 game.

I was at that game as well. Bronswell Patrick came on in relief, hit for himself and went deep by the LF foul pole.

agreed...maybe this should be the buck rodgers IGT. he was fired early in the season...the worst player on the team was yost, but he hit that huge game winning hr ( his first of the year ) against boston giving the brewers a win with 4 games to go in the season.

i think we need to honor the heros of 82 in the next few game threads against the cardinals. just a thought.

Among the many people who have NOT necessarily cashed in on the cannibalizing of the corpse of the '82 season (and, God, do I love 'em, but this is getting ridiculous), is Larry Hisle. Yeah, yeah, I know, he didn't play but a few games and had been gimpy the previous years, but his arrival in Milwaukee was one of the big signals that we were going to be big time. I always thought he was such a class act (his actions after his career have more than proven this point).

Archived