Brewer Fanatic

who is getting madden today

patrickgpe
i thing i always did was sign bigger free agents, whether i needed them or not, and then before the draft, put them up for trade and get as many 1,2nd and 3rd picks that i can, even trading away some of my lower ones, have 4 first rounders is awesome.

One time I was being stupid and I wanted to see whether I could get the first 10 picks in the draft. I actually was able to do it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Signing free agents and trading them for players/picks you want has been a staple of mine for years, I am glad I'm not the only oen who does/has done that lol

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Signing free agents and trading them for players/picks you want has been a staple of mine for years, I am glad I'm not the only oen who does/has done that lol

Thats funny, I've always used the exact opposite strategy. I trade all of my picks for star players, so that an average draft for me consists of maybe one or two picks in the late rounds.

i was severly dissapointed in the 360 version last year so I hope this year is much better.

As long as we are on the topic, and I am a somewhat new 360 owner, can anyone explain to me the XBOX live deal? Hows it work?

My cousin and I back a few years ago would just create like 45 year old super star players, sign them to one-year deals and trade them away. They'd retire after one year and you'd easily get 1st round picks for them. It's pretty easy to get all first rounders for them, and then I'd acquire some good young players with those draft picks.
Gruber Lawffices

aracko[/b]]i was severly dissapointed in the 360 version last year so I hope this year is much better.

As long as we are on the topic, and I am a somewhat new 360 owner, can anyone explain to me the XBOX live deal? Hows it work?

So far it's a big improvement over last year's game.

XBox Live allows you to play games online (like Madden) against other players. You will need a fast internet connection or the games will play like crap. It costs $50 a year.

One other advantage is you can get game updates downloaded right to your Xbox. Roster updates are done every week during the season for Madden.

when you guys sign Free Agents, and then trade them away, don't you get Cap Penalties? That's what happens to me, so I'm always stuck with guys, if I resign them, and they become busts. (I resigned Ahman Green, and in the 2009? season, he's an 84-85, with 82 speed. When I play, I mostly pass (Brett Favre retired after the first season, so I either signed Marc Bulger or Drew Brees) and Brees/Bulger-Driver gets a crap load of yards and TD's.

when you guys sign Free Agents, and then trade them away, don't you get Cap Penalties? That's what happens to me, so I'm always stuck with guys, if I resign them, and they become busts. (I resigned Ahman Green, and in the 2009? season, he's an 84-85, with 82 speed. When I play, I mostly pass (Brett Favre retired after the first season, so I either signed Marc Bulger or Drew Brees) and Brees/Bulger-Driver gets a crap load of yards and TD's.

You can get cap penalties, but in owner mode there is a little cheat to clear them. I am hoping the cheat still exists in this year's game. http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/devil.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I got Madden last year for my 360 and the game blew. The menus were horrible to navigate, that radio announcer actually makes you long for Madden and Michaels and I still have yet to figure out why the heck they paid for the ESPN rights when they never use any of them (At least the NFL 2K series always used the ESPN graphics and halftime/postgame features).

I tried All Pro Football 2K8 and while it's not better than Madden last year, it was decent. If only someone could wake the NFL up to the fact that without a competitor, NFL games are going to become rather complacent and not improve all that much. EA needs someone to push them to put forth the best NFL product they can. As it stands the Madden franchise seems stuck in a spot where they pray the great graphics makes up for the crappy gameplay.

Rp

You only get cap penalties if the player has a signing bonus, since it gets pro-rated to your cap. If you sign a free agent for the sole purpose of turning around and trading them for picks, don't give them any guaranteed money (no signing bonus). But you'll need much more cap room for this since it will be harder to sign the player.

Also, the "cheat" to clear cap penalties I think you can only use once a year (I'm not sure on that) and it will lower your team's prestige rating making your club less attractive to free agents, so I'd recommend signing players to 1 year non-guaranteed deals if you planning on flipping them for picks immediately. I used to do this with the top players remaining in the free agency pool (Ty Law and Dan Neil, for example in Madden2006), then flip them for whatever picks I could.

Gruber Lawffices

Roster updates are done every week during the season for Madden.

Just a quick question on this: can you update your roster in the middle of a franchise season? I know on PC Madden you can't do that. You have to load a roster at the beginning of the franchise and that is your roster that you play with the whole way. If you want to keep it up to date, you have to make the trades, signings, etc. yourself. If you try to use an updated roster in the middle of your franchise, you crash the game. Maybe on PS3, PS2, and XBox360 you can so I'm wondering if that has been fixed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Any changes to the playbook editor?

I know that the default playbooks have option routes, but I don't believe in the past those could be used when building a play from scratch.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Roster updates are done every week during the season for Madden.

Just a quick question on this: can you update your roster in the middle of a franchise season? I know on PC Madden you can't do that. You have to load a roster at the beginning of the franchise and that is your roster that you play with the whole way. If you want to keep it up to date, you have to make the trades, signings, etc. yourself. If you try to use an updated roster in the middle of your franchise, you crash the game. Maybe on PS3, PS2, and XBox360 you can so I'm wondering if that has been fixed.

I guess I don't understand why you would want the rosters to update within franchise mode.

For instance, let's say that Chad Johnson goes out and breaks his leg in Week 1 of the real NFL season. "Virtual" Chad makes it through the first week of your Madden season without a scratch (doesn't matter if you are playing as Cincy or if they're CPU controlled).

Do you really want to remove Chad from the game for the rest of the season because he got hurt in real life, even though he put up 100 yds and 2 td's (without so much as a broken fingernail) in your Madden season? Doesn't make sense.

• 8 months later...
ohh boy! You got me all excited that Madden was coming out today. I thought that it was awfully early but you never know with video games these days and they just did announce that the retired qb will be on the cover.

• 4 months later...

Archived