Brewer Fanatic

What would it take to trade Braun (Just for fun!)

Well then let me ask you this, Who hit better at AAA, Braun or Weeks?

Is this your way of saying Weeks is a better hitter than Braun? I think a lot of us are missing your point. Do you really think Ryan Braun is not a good hitter?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then let me ask you this, Who hit better at AAA, Braun or Weeks?

Is there a point to that statement? If so, I'm totally missing it. AAA OPS per baseball reference:

Braun 2007: 1.119

Weeks 2005: 1.090

Braun also played just 34 games while Weeks played 55 in 2005, so it's not a really meaningful sample.

And also, tell me again what our record is WITH Braun in the lineup as opposed to without?

Wow, that doesn't even make sense. You're seriously implying that the team is worse off by having a guy among the league leaders in rate stats in the lineup?

The aggregate performance of the 9+ players involved in the game doesn't tell you a whole lot about an individual player. Our pitching has fallen to crap relative to the beginning of the season, which makes it impossible to attribute anything to an individual offensive player. Wins are a team outcome - just look at all those victories the Rangers racked up with the game's best player for 3 years.

Saying Fielder makes Braun great is completely without merit and explained only by circular logic.

Why does Braun hit so well?

Because Fielder is behind him.

How do we know it's because of Fielder?

Because Braun hits well.

My point wasn't to polarize the population with the argument that Weeks is more valuable than Braun. I wholeheartedly agree that Ryan Braun is a great hitter. But my argument centers on the idea that Braun has always been a #3 hitter in his career and hasn't been forced to try to adapt to a different position in the lineup. Weeks, on the other hand, has had to become a leadoff hitter and has in recent times thrived in such a role. One need look no further than his fave comp, Alphonso Soriano, and look at Soriano's numbers when asked to bat in a different position than he is used to (though Weeks and Soriano have aversions to opposite positions in the lineup). Nevertheless, Weeks has gotten on-base at a better clip than Braun (in relation to his BA) and has more speed than Braun. Furthermore, Weeks has had to focus primarily on his defense to help the team while Braun, who has improved his defense, gets the fantasy love of every middle aged gent who was quick enough to pluck him off the waiver wire. Now am I saying that Braun should be DFA? NO! But when I hear people say that the guy needs a bust in Cooperstown (much like Ryan Zimmerman was getting praise some 12 months ago), I feel the need to express the belief that Weeks is the Franchise Position Player in Milwaukee (if only because I have flashbacks to Mo Vaughn). Weeks has more speed, has more natural power (and some have even opined that he has more than Fielder, at least they did at AAA), his defense is better, and he plays the most premium position on the diamond. And remember that Weeks also spent more than just '05 at AAA. And when I bring up Prince in the equation, all I mean is that with the Regal One sitting behind you in the lineup, you are going to see more fastball strikes, and thus, get more chances for the long ball. And while I know chicks dig the longball, I would hope we are above such cosmetic love.

And remember that Weeks also spent more than just '05 at AAA.

Oops, I forgot a 6 game rehab assignment. Does that count?

Weeks, on the other hand, has had to become a leadoff hitter and has in recent times thrived in such a role.

Did he really "have to become a leadoff hitter", or is that where he was placed because that's where his skills are considered most beneficial to the team? He's speedy and has a good eye, but he's always had those skills -and those skills are considered most valuable in the leadoff slot. It's not like he'd be slower and unable to discriminate pitches if he hit in another position. Also, when guys hit outside of their regular position, it's usually prompted by crappy performance. If a guy hits poorly enough to be dropped in the order, you'd naturally expect him to continue those struggles for a while. Then, when he hits well, he's moved back and it looks like it has everything to do with batting order. I can't see protection mattering unless you're a good #8 in the NL where you'll be pitched around for the pitcher with 2 out.

He is an aggressive hitter who has been forced to "wait patiently"... He is a power hitter who doesn't get to swing for the fences. He is a speedster who has become as tentative on the basepaths as he has become at the plate. And does no one remember what switching Prince and Braun in the lineup did for their numbers? Moving a comfortable hitter from his perceived place of power turned Braun into Tony Graffanino. And as for that 6 game stint at AAA, he had an OPS above 1.200! Tell me if you would honestly have discounted those numbers had they been halved.

And as for that 6 game stint at AAA, he had an OPS above 1.200! Tell me if you would honestly have discounted those numbers had they been halved.

I can honestly say I would have, I've never judged any hitter based on 6 games because it's a completely meaningless sample, except to say "he's been awesome for the past week".

Archived