Brewer Fanatic

8/12/07 - Brewers (Vargas) at Astros (Williams) - 1:05pm CT. Tribute to the Great Memories of Izzy Alcantara IGT

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eh...I would doubt that he gets suspended. Unless the crazy Houston announcers had some different angle, I didn't see Prince bump the ump. And I don't think his arguing afterwords would be classified as "excessive." But that's just me.

Not too stand up or the umps but with every game on TV now I am sure they are more sensitive whenever a player goes off... of course you think with the coverage they would be more concerned about looking dumb themselves.

I just don't agree and if that's true they need to get over themselves. Until Bill Schroeder mentioned his name, NO ONE on this board or anywhere could have named Wally Bell as the home plate umpire today. Nobody cares what they look like as long as they do their jobs. And if they are worried about what they look like, Hirschbeck should have issued a public apology after last night's game after those blown calls at first base. Nope, instead he went back to the hotel, had a beer, a good night's sleep and came back out today. No repercussion for not doing his job last night.

I guess I saw the way things went with Prince differently than some here. He argued balls and strikes, which you are not allowed to do. He could have been tossed right away. Prince then had a chance to walk away, and he did but was screaming and swearing at him as he walked. Is the ump supposed to sit there and take that? I say no.

I now you can never expect a sweep, but that's exactly what this team needed on the road. And they played 8 innings well enough to get it. Just wished Turnbow would have pitched this inning instead of bringing CV out for another inning.

Prince was on his way to the dugout
And he was still screaming at the ump as he was walking.

And that happens WHENEVER a player strikes out to end the inning. The TV audience is at commercial and everyone in the stands is in the bathroom or getting another drink. No one cares that he would have been screaming and neither should the umpire. It was over until Wally Bell provoked him further.

Chris Spurling, huh? Does Yost flip a coin or something?

I think Ned has some irrational love for Spurling and his grittiness. Ned tends to like to put him in these types of situations.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I have no problem with the ump tossing Fielder there. You simply can't allow a batter to argue balls and strikes. the problem is that umps feel the need to jaw right back at batters while they are doing the tossing. Be the professional! Can you imagine an NFL umpire acting like that?

My guess is Turnbow is todays closer. Linebrink and Cordero pitched back to back games so Ned felt he had to go with Spurling or Wise. Wise went 1.1 IP yesterday so I doubt he wants to pitch him again given his recent struggles. That leaves Spurling and his craptitude.

Personally I'd have just used Turnbow.

That 2.5 game lead would have looked so nice.

Spurling is the definition of an average pitcher, and considering we have what many would consider to be 3 above average pitchers in the back end of our bullpen, I wish we'd have seen one of those in this situation. Meh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived