Brewer Fanatic

8/12/07 - Brewers (Vargas) at Astros (Williams) - 1:05pm CT. Tribute to the Great Memories of Izzy Alcantara IGT

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that with 1 out, or 0 outs, 1 out, and 2 outs all included?

All included. Seriously, I don't think I've met a fan of any team that ever thought their team scored enough runners from 3B with less than 2 out. Most fans seem to think a batter should be able hit a deep fly ball at will.

No, but if the league average for scoring a runner on 3rd with 1 out is around 57%, it would be nice if we were at least in the ballpark of that.

All included. Seriously, I don't think I've met a fan of any team that ever thought their team scored enough runners from 3B with less than 2 out. Most fans seem to think a batter should be able hit a deep fly ball at will.

While there is truth to your statement as well, you can't deny that this team is challenged in getting that man home in that situation.

No, but if the league average for scoring a runner on 3rd with 1 out is around 57%, it would be nice if we were at least in the ballpark of that.
I'm going to guess that the real key to that situation is the strikeouts. I doubt that the pop outs and ground balls end up being a huge factor, those are probably more just sample size issues. We are a low OBP, high K, high SLG team so my gut instinct is that our situational stats for runners on 3rd with 0 or 1 outs will look bad but our situational stats with runners on 1st looks better than most teams from the doubles and HR's. In the end what really matters is runs scored overall and we are doing ok in that.

I should add, I don't expect a high fly at will, but I do expect a batter to put the ball in play somewhere on occasion. The problem in that situation recently (although not today) is 3-4 pitch strikeouts, which have a nearly zero percent chance (expect perhaps on a passed ball or wild pitch) of scoring a run. A ball in play could be a sacrifice fly, an error, a slow infield roller which might get the man home, or the team might not even come home on a ball hit in the infield. The point is, contact in that situation has a much greater chance of scoring than the K's that this team seems to thrive in with a runner on third.

Weeks has 1 hit since he's been back up but has been on base 7 times. Whatever works, I guess.

While there is truth to your statement as well, you can't deny that this team is challenged in getting that man home in that situation.

Considering the Brewers' low OBP and tendency to strike out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was below average. I suspect that it's not as bad as some think but frankly, I don't really know. I've watched just about all the games but won't pretend I can mentally keep track of all the situations and their outcomes. I am skeptical anyone else can either.

I also think that while the Brewers might not be good in that area, they excel in others. In the end, runs scored is all that matters.

Run scored is all that matters. But the extent the team is failing to score a run at a rate that should be expected in a situation that usually favors the offense, that affects the maximum potential of a team's run scored.

I'm not saying we scrap the offense here. We are primarily a power hitting team and should stay so. But I also think balance is an important characteristic of a good team. On occasion, this team needs to favor contact over power to produce the run in situations where contact increases the likelihood of producing the run. It certainly will still fail to always produce the run, but trading an out for the run in that situation hopefully will result in more total runs scored over the course of the season.

Archived