Brewer Fanatic

8/12/07 - Brewers (Vargas) at Astros (Williams) - 1:05pm CT. Tribute to the Great Memories of Izzy Alcantara IGT

I know no one probably cares, but I just have to say that the Houston TV feed (which I'm stuck with on DirecTV) of this game is simply awful. I've seen local cable access channel productions that put this too shame. The camera work has been awful all series. That can't follow a ball in the air to save their lives. And most inexcusably, the cameraman have failed to do any white balancing on their cameras, rendering everything with a garish blue cast. I could do do better with my pocket camcorder!

Yeah, you've said it! I, too, have had to watch Houston's TV feed all weekend. Just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad! I believe any of us could probably do better with a camcorder.

I also had to listen to their radio crew for about half the game yesterday. Milo Hamilton may be in the Hall of Fame, but he's no Hall of Famer! Awful description of plays. It's like he's the Astros version of Harry Carey--still has a job because he's an icon, even though he's just way too slow and out of the loop of things and can't see the ball real well. Not to mention he's turning 80 this year.

I know Uecker is getting up there in years but at least Bob still knows what he's doing and describes the action very well. Most of the time, if a ball was hit, it took an extra 30 seconds for Hamilton to finally tell you where the ball was hit, after he's done doing his homer-ish cheering.

Sounds like you might just have the feed of AM 720 WGN, and Pat took the day off.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Russ... i don't as a rule think players are worthless, but I'm just sick of Hall's lack of effort. From not hustling out groundballs, to poor defense, to "jogging" after balls when they roll all the way to the wall.

Mark Loretta's "triple" last night is a perfect example. That should have been recorded as a single and 2-base error on Billy Hall. That play caused a 1-0 game to turn into a 4-0 game, and without Braun's Heroics, would have cost us the game.

Say what you will about this "opinion", but i think its a fair consensus that Billy has been making lazy plays all season. I might get on Craig Counsell from time to time, but atleast he plays hard. Hall simply is not good, and its worse when you consider his gaudy contract and lack of effort.

I must not be watching the same games, because that's about the last thing I see with Billy Hall. I admit I missed yesterday's poor play, but I'm not sure even one play would justify this comment. I wishy Billy was raking right now, but I don't think it's because of lack of effort.

I know there's a thread under the Major Leages about stranding runners, but it feels like we may only get the runner home from 3rd with one out or less about 25% of the time. I don't have the numbers to support that statement. But we leave that runner on third an unacceptably high amount of the time.

Im one of Hall's biggest fans and have been for a few years now. But man he has been painful to watch at the plate since coming off the DL. I just hope he can come back next season and look more like the Hall of 2006. We can call this a mulligan season for Hall.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Russ... i don't as a rule think players are worthless, but I'm just sick of Hall's lack of effort.

Hall should be dumped in a trade for nothing because you don't like him? Got it.

Like probably everyone else, I'm disappointed in Hall's play this year but it gets old to hear the witty "trade player "x" for a bag of balls" over and over and over and over.....

Brewers have had a runner on 3rd 127 times this season, 50 of those times they scored the runner. That is 39% of the time.

The NL has had a runner on 3rd 2125 times, 735 of those times they scored the runner. That is 35% of the time.

I don't know how to look at just 1 or 0 outs data so that includes with 2 outs. And that is just the stats with a runner on 3rd and 1st and 2nd empty, so take it with a big block of salt.

I know there's a thread under the Major Leages about stranding runners, but it feels like we may only get the runner home from 3rd with one out or less about 25% of the time. I don't have the numbers to support that statement. But we leave that runner on third an unacceptably high amount of the time.

I don't know exactly what our percentage is, although there is probably a website out there that would show us the stats. I think the league average is somewhere around 57-60% of the time that a runner on 3rd with 1 out scores, I would imagine we're below 50%.

Charter feed is still freaking awful. I'm thinking about calling them, but don't know what's worse...continuing to watch this broken feed or trying to talk to Charter's "support".

"Please state your problem. Are you having trouble with our 'pay-per-view' feature? "

"NO!"

A 1/2 hour later, I finally got an operator.

After 20 minutes of talking to her, she pretty much determined that she couldn't help me. On top of that, she notices, "I see you're not subscribed to our landline phone service. Would you like me to set up an appointment?"

"No, I have a cellphone, that's enough for me".

"You should really consider it, it's a great promotional offer!"

"Ma'am, what I have doesn't work. Why would I want to pay for something else from you?"

Archived