Brewer Fanatic

Braun legitimate MVP candidate?

DannoMac21

Looking back at that thread it was only one person who wondered if Holliday would be an upgrade over Jenkins, which I found extremely laughable, and why I brought it up. Others were questioning his home versus road splits and the rumored package itself.

Yes, he's a definite MVP candidate.

Its not bad, but its hardly earth shattering. A .300/.363/.470 isn't an upgrade, especially at Holliday's cost. And an ISP of .170 away with at .323 at home is a scaryily huge difference.

I'm not saying I'd be unhappy with Holliday in the outfield, just that if he played outside of Colorado he might not be a MVP type player.

It could just be whatever home park he is in though that he performs better. Just because he is dominating at Coors, doesn't mean wherever his next home park is he wouldn't be as good, just look at the Brewers on the road vs. at home.

It could just be whatever home park he is in though that he performs better. Just because he is dominating at Coors, doesn't mean wherever his next home park is he wouldn't be as good, just look at the Brewers on the road vs. at home.

While that could be true, I would prefer to look at things like actual evidence as opposed to hearsay and conjecture. I think we can all agree that Coors is the most hitter friendly park in the MLB.

As End said, .300/.363/.470 is above average but nowhere near MVP level. Personally, I would rather have Jenks for the rest of the year than Holliday all things considered.

Is that supposed to be bad?

It's not bad at all, it's just that you need to be careful and not view Holliday as equal to the typical .921 OPS player when his career splits are 1.074 at home and .767 on the road. For example, if you look at his B-R most similar batter, David Wright, he has a .907 OPS at home and .905 on the road. For Holliday, this season's difference of about .300 between home and road are right on pace with career norms.

Team MVP sure, league MVP I doubt it. Fielder is a much more likely candidate.

In the traditional sense of the MVP -- I think Braun is clearly the Brewers MVP since his arrival from Nash. In the time that he has been up he has contributed to more Brewer wins than any other player, and probably kept us in this race/first place.

That said -- I tend to agree that voters look at "triple crown stats" -- depending how the Braves and Phillies finish I could see Chipper Jones, and Howard getting a lot of votes -- same with Fielder.

Archived