Brewer Fanatic

8/11/07 - Brewers (Suppan) at Astros (Rodríguez) - 6:05pm CT. Angel Echevarria Memorial IGT

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks to some whacked out broadcast priorities, we caught all of one play on WSSP before the signal strength was reduced, while driving home from Kenosha tonight. At the time the 6th had just ended and it was 4-0 'Stros.
We were driving home from Appleton and couldn't really get WSSP all that well (started listening in the top of the 9th). I made out Hart was up and thought there was at least one runner on and then later heard enough of Uecker to guess it was a homerun call for Braun. Then I did make out Prince hit a homer too. But I couldn't make out anything after that. I thought they had won 7-4 and had that confirmed when they gave the score during the Packers game on WTMJ. Nice win tonight!

I went out thinking the Brewers were going to lose, but so were the Cubs so it wasn't so bad. I come home to see that the Brewers had a late rally to win the game, and the Cubs got pounded. This is freaking awesome.

Top of the ninth. 2 outs. 2 on. Braun at the plate. Score: 4-3 Astros.

Me: "This one is over. The Brewers just don't come back and Braun, while he does well with RISP, just doesn't seem to get the big hit."

BA: "Braun with a drive to left field. Way back. And this ball is gone!" (or something like that)

My buddy: "What was that about Braun and the Brewers?"

Me: "Who cares!"

I love sounding stupid when the Brewers win! For the record, though, I will NEVER understand why you add a runner to the bases with Lee coming up--especially when you're on record as not being a believer in the IBB. I get the DP ball and all that but why you let Pujols hit in the exact same situation is beyond me--it was like backwards...oh well...BREWERS WIN!

being newer to this site, i wish i could contribute more...but i am absolutely euphoric after this win. Im not ready to call out that the brewers are finally turning the corner and ready to play like they should, but that was so much freaking fun to watch. I (like everyone else, and almost as unfair as it is) have been waiting for braun to step up with a hit like that...and it was freaking sweet. I wish i could say anything else but this to sound smarter....but that game was just freaking sweet.

and im sorry for saying 'freaking' too much...i was trying to not curse on the site

Some selections from the NSBB in-game thread (pages 30-31):

Ryan Braun homers. 6-4 Brewers. [bad words], Lidge.

fielder goes yard. God hates the cubs.

Why can't we have any rookie like Ryan Braun.....and why can't we get a decent hitting 1B like Fielder? [editor's note: D. Lee is at least decent, no?]

I really, really hate Ryan Braun. Almost as much as I hate Brad Lidge.

man it would be nice if our system could just develop one hitter as good as braun, fielder or hart

Reasons to hate Ryan Braun:

1. he's a rookie and is better than every Cub hitter

2. he has a cocky face

3. he's a Brewer

4. he has more HRs then any Cub

5. He was called up in May (insult to #1 and 4)

I dislike them because they are Cub fans, but I'm glad they have such strong feelings for Braun.

That is awesome. I love Ryan Braun more then any man in a very heterosexual way. Also can you say Brad "not so lights out" Lidge.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was watching the game at a bar in the Milw. 'burbs and the tv was kind of dim so when Braun hit the dinger there was a moment or two of complete silence - I think because Lee didn't move so everyone thought he was going to catch it. I saw all the people in the bleachers sort of stand up and I yelled "Get out of here!" as loud as a I could. I think I gave the poor old lady next to me a heart attack. One of the best wins of the season - from an excitement perspective anyways...
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Late contribution here, but in case you guys were wondering what Angel Echevarria was doing in 2003 and 2004..

http://www5.hokkaido-np.co.jp/sports/fs2004/meikan/img/out_43_echevarria.jpg

In 204 games over two seasons with the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan's Pacific League, he hit .268 with 47 HRs and 138 RBI. He was not extended a contract for 2005. He also led the league in HBP with 12 in 2003.

Archived