Brewer Fanatic

You're Ned Yost:

RoseBowlMtg

Do you approach Rickie for slowing up going around 2nd on Hart's hit or do you let it go?

Do you figure Rickie knows he should watch the 3rd base coach and won't do it again or is this a teaching moment?

Do you not spoil a great game back?

At this point of their career you would think that they wouldn't need to be reminded of every little aspect of the game, however, I feel that on occassion Ned Yost needs to do a little jaw jacking to get the players to perform to the BEST of their ability. If Ricky slowed up going around 2nd,maybe we should think that he's still not built up that confidence that he should have to play in the majors. As for Johnny Estrada, if it takes him several months to get four walks, then good, at least we know that he's trying to get hits, if he gets thrown out at second for trying to stretch a long single, damn, that's hustle, especially for Johnny,and that takes alot for me to say since I'm not really a Johnny Estrada fan.

I'm not sure "jaw jacking" gets guys to perform to the best of their abilities, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure Yost or Sedar will mention something to Rickie about the situation, but it will be done in a positive way. Jumping on somebody for a mistake is counterproductive IMO. It will be a good teaching session, even though Rickie obviously already knows what he did wrong.

If I'm a major league player, I'd want my manager to say something like, "hey, glad you scored from first, and I loved your plate discipline -- however, on the video replay, you slowed up in between first and second. Mind just watching the third base coach instead and trust his judgement?"

I'd probably just say that it was a little mental error and it'd change for future at-bats.

I'm pretty sure the media already did that job of asking Weeks about why he slowed up and making him be accountable for it, so there would be no need to be very stiff about it. Like someone else said, have Levya say something to him about it in passing but not so much that it becomes a big issue.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It seems like lately, the cameras have caught Ned a fair amount of times yelling at, or generally chewing out one of his players or pitchers. Given the record lately, I would have to conclude (with minimal data to backup my theory) that the whole yelling and screaming tactic isn't really working out.

Considering however that Rickie was involved in 2 near-miss collisions in this game as well, I don't think it would be out of line to just talk to him about making sure he communicates on the field, takes advantage of the help that's available to him in the form of base coaches, and generally just be aware of game situations at all times.

"hey, glad you scored from first, and I loved your plate discipline -- however, on the video replay, you slowed up in between first and second. Mind just watching the third base coach instead and trust his judgement?"

"Excuse me for a second Mr. Weeks, but if you don't mind my saying, do you think you could trust your third base coach next time when a ball is hit to right field and you are running the opposite direction. I mean no disrespect, I'm just saying that it seems to me that this is what you were probably taught in little league. But hey, if you don't want to look at the third base coach, thats fine too. In fact, what do I know, I'm sorry I even brought it up. Here, have my lunch money while we are at it. Sorry to disturb you sir."

If Ned wants to say something he will. Its usually good cop-bad cop and I would guess the baserunning coach is on the players side and Ned is the bad cop.

I saw the play once, but it wasn't really clear to me at what point he turned around. If he turned around between 1st and 2nd, is it maybe possible that he was just looking to make sure the ball had gotten past the right fielder so he could safely advance to 3rd?

I don't think there's any need to say anything to Rickie. He knows what happened. From the Journal-Sentinel:

"Weeks said he slowed around second because he thought the ball had bounced over the fence for a ground-rule double but he then saw third-base coach Nick Leyva, who was waving him around frantically."

Considering that, this part of a post from chiltonno...

If Ricky slowed up going around 2nd,maybe we should think that he's still not built up that confidence that he should have to play in the majors.

...doesn't make any sense.

Archived