Brewer Fanatic

Most bizarre baseball injuries

jaybird2001wi

I was reading through some old archives online and came across an injury that happened to Glenallen Hill. Hill had a dream spiders were attacking him and he crashed into a glass coffee table and cut himself to the point where had to be DLed for awhile. I also remember when Brewers' Steve Sparks got placed on the DL after attempting to rip a phone book in half when a motivational speaker came into the Brewers' clubhouse to motivate the team to win.

And wasn't it Sammy Sosa who got injured while sneezing? Didn't Ricky Bones get hurt while sitting on a chair in the locker room?

And when a player is out of the game for "flu-like symptons" it is mostly because the player is hung over from the night before?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think a lot of the bizarre injury stories are cover-ups for something else. A lot of guys have provisions in their contracts saying they can't do certain activities (like ride motorcycles) so they make stuff up to keep the team from fining them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I remember Jeff Cirillo hurting himself sleeping. He wasn't DLed, but he had to be shifted to 1B for a week.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Jay Witasick torqued his elbow throwing out the garbage. Bruce Bochy said afterward:

"He was taking some bags of trash out. They were heavy, had some watermelon in them, apparently. He tossed them into the Dumpster and strained his elbow."

"He said something fell and he wheeled around and hurt his neck."

I think that happens more often than you think to normal people everyday. I can think back of many times when I've been sitting doing something and something startles me enough to make me swing my head around rather quickly and TWINGE! goes the neck for a few days.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived