Brewer Fanatic

Will brewers acquire anybody?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loaiza is a guy that would have made sense.

It seems to be pretty obvious that there isn't/wasn't anyone out there that Melvin felt would be a great upgrade (or those guys got pulled back after they were claimed). If there were players out there that could have had a dramatic effect on a pennant race, someone would have traded for them.

Looking at the contract the Cubs are going to have to pick up next year in their acquisition of tracshel makes me believe that melvin doesn't want to tie up money next year for a player he might only want to use 1 month for this year. I can understand why melvin did not want to take on traschel's $5 million contract for next year. however , the recent acquisitions of guys like Loiaza and traschel makes me believe that many more mediocre pitchers with high salaries were available. it's just melvin didn't want to commit next year's money to acquire them. I have to believe Traschel's contract had more to do with melvin not going after him than his pitching ability.

as predicted by many national sports columnists, the reason they favored the Cubs to beat out the brewers for the division crown was because the Cubs would be willing to spend money to acquire a player down the stretch, while the brewers would be more cost concience and probably stand pat and hope their minor league system would come through and fill any holes/voids.

I honestly can't see Trachsel and Monroe having a serious positive impact on the pennant race. They aren't as big of an acquisition as even Linebrink, since he at least has been a really good player at one point. Monroe isn't better than our existing options while Trachsel would provide us with maybe 6 starts as a mediocre pitcher (his FIP is worse than Cappy's) that'd require us to pay him a bunch of money next year when he's unlikely to be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

as predicted by many national sports columnists, the reason they favored the Cubs to beat out the brewers for the division crown was because the Cubs would be willing to spend money to acquire a player down the stretch, while the brewers would be more cost concience and probably stand pat and hope their minor league system would come through and fill any holes/voids.

So spending money = wins? I hope this was just a team-sliding-reaction-post, and I mean no offense by that. I really hope you're not vaunting Trachsel as the difference maker. Monroe? At best, = Mench. Even though your above quote suggests some sort of incompetence in our minor-league system, it has produced Dillon, Braun, Gallardo, and Parra - just to name a few. This is the right way to fill out your MLB roster - by drafting & developing well, not by having to spend on aging, overpriced FAs & waiver claims, imho.

I don't want to simply pile on, though, so I do want to know - completely honestly - why you feel that making a random/not random waiver claim or trade is the difference between a successful franchise and an unsuccessful one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived