Brewer Fanatic

Will brewers acquire anybody?

Each day of this last week I' m seeing teams in contention acquiring players off waivers. I have to believe the Brewers could have used a couple of the players claimed or at least would have put in a claim to block a player from being traded like the White Sox did on Tejada. I realize the brewers' payroll is at an alltime high. But windows of opportunity are also very small. My question is twofold. Do the brewers have enough money left to be able to claim and trade for a high salaried veteran such as Piazza or Tom Gordon, Stewart, Garland, Dye or Dunn or any of the other players who might be available?

The second part is timing. Would the Brewers be more active in claiming players when their roster can be expanded in September knowing they wouldn't be able to use the player in the play-offs? Or do they make a move now in an effort t o patch a leaking dam?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows the reason guys are claimed when the waivers are revocable? Teams could be blocking other teams or indicating an interest in a guy. I'd bet some of these guys have multiple claims. I think too much is being read into claims. We don't know what players have already cleared waivers and are actually available to be dealt.

I agree that in the past the brewers would have had a higher priority waiver claim because of their record. However, the teams that seem to be claiming players this year are teams with better records than the brewers. I will admit that an AL team would have first dibs on claiming an AL player before the brewers would. But, I have to believe there are plenty of players available in both the AL and NL who could be claimed. I also will state I know a team can reclaim their player if they choose. This makes me believe Melvin thought about some of the players available and decided to pass. I will also agree that some of the waiver acquisitions made recently look pretty bad on paper.

Thanks for answering the question about money. I don't believe money would be an object claiming somebody who would become a FA. I do think it might be a concern for claiming somebody who still has 2-3 years left on theri contract.

As for timing, what's the oppinion on melvin pulling the trigger now to try to put out the fire, or waiting until rosters can be expanded? In other words, are we going to stand pat with what we have until September? or do you envision melvin trying to make a quick band aid fix before the ship has sunk?

The Phillies and Dbacks have better NL records than the brewers and respectively claimed branyon from Cleveland and Joe kennedy from oakland. I would have to believe the brewers had a chance to claim either player. I realize why the brewers passed on branyon. The Dodgers claimed Sweeney from the Giants on 9 August. I' m not sure who had the better record that night - the Dodgers or brewers. While Cleveland and the mariners have better records, they claimed AL players who the brewers did not have a chance to claim.

As I said previously, none of the players claimed in the past week was a significant player. joe kennedy may have been a nice addition. Sweeney is a nice pinch hitter. Are they difference makers? I'm not sure. But look at the teams making claims: Dodgers, Phillies, Indians, Mariners, and Dbacks. They all seem to have one thing in common they are trying to win their division and their GM is making moves.

Branyan was on a minor league deal, no waivers needed. And the Brewers don't need a 3B. If Graffy got hurt a week ago, Cirillo would likely be in a Brewer uniform. That didn't happen. Again to claim a player you need to let one go. Who goes?

The Indians signed Branyan to a minor league deal, so he didn't need to pass through waivers (although, obviously, he did before, because Cleveland was able to sign him to a minor league deal).

Joe Kennedy isn't better than anyone the Brewers have to run out there. The Brewers don't need a platoon-only, poor fielding, 37 year old guy like Sweeney.

Sure, other teams are making claims, but to do that, you have to have someone on the 25-man roster that's worse than the player you're claiming. To me, none of the players you mentioned fit the bill.

Yeah...as bad as the Brewers have been lately, they don't really have a huge glaring need, other than more production from their offense, and better pitching from their staff. There isn't anyone out there that is a realistically better alternative than what they have.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd love to acquire the JJ Hardy we saw the first six weeks of the season. The Cappy from last season. The Suppan who was supposed to stabilize the rotation. A mere sighting of Ben Sheets would be a nice acquisition. Acquiring a new manager would please me as well.

If just 75% of the guys would play as expected they would be fine.

I realize none of the players claimed so far has been a very significant player. but you all also have to realize that many significant players have been made available. it's just that the brewers haven't tried to claim any of them. if a guy like tejada was placed on waivers by Baltimore, I have to believe other significant players were placed on waivers as teams try to make an after the trade deadline deal. the Padres just claimed Igawa from the yankees. they have two days to work out a trade. if a guy like Igawa is good enough for the Padres, isn't he good enough for the Brewers? Is Igawa the type of player the brewers can't afford to pick up? if so, I guess spending money is still a primary consideration when acquiring a player.

I realize none of the players claimed so far has been a very significant player. but you all also have to realize that many significant players have been made available. it's just that the brewers haven't tried to claim any of them. if a guy like tejada was placed on waivers by Baltimore, I have to believe other significant players were placed on waivers as teams try to make an after the trade deadline deal. the Padres just claimed Igawa from the yankees. they have two days to work out a trade. if a guy like Igawa is good enough for the Padres, isn't he good enough for the Brewers? Is Igawa the type of player the brewers can't afford to pick up? if so, I guess spending money is still a primary consideration when acquiring a player.

Tejada was claimed by a team with a 54-61 record, well before the Brewers. Igawa's got a career MLB ERA of 6.79. The Padres put a claim in them because they're actually in worse shape than the Brewers when it comes to the number of starting pitchers they have.

Until a significant player gets placed on waivers, that the Brewers can use, and gets claimed by someone with a better record than the Brewers, it's really nothing but blind speculation. I'm sure several players have been claimed by the Brewers (and by other teams), and have gotten pulled back by their respective teams. Just because Ken Rosenthal hasn't reported on it, doesn't mean it hasn't occurred.

I see all these claims being made by winning teams looking to fill voids. yes, the players are for the most part insignificant. Joe kennedy and Mark Sweeney are probably not on anybody's fantasy baseball team. I guess my real point is that I see a bunch of teams that are in divison races claiming players, and I don't see the Brewers doing anything. Chad moeller was just claimed today by another team in a division race(Dodgers - I believe). Admittedly, the brewers have no need or desire to claim Chad Moeller. but a team in a pennant race felt he was good enough to be claimed and placed on their 25 man roster.

Surely the brewers have holes somewhere that could be filled by claiming an available player placed on waivers. And traditionally, they can be acquired for a PTBNL or cash. I'm smart enough and old enough to know that many players besides just these fringe players have been placed on waivers and are available. Wasn't Jenkins placed on waivers a couple of years ago? Did any team put in a claim for him? frank Thomas got real mad when he found out he had been designated for waivers by the white Sox. the White Sox gm said it was just a paperwork formailty to find out his true value. The brewers need an infusion of defense and pitching, and they need it bad . I refuse to believe there is not a pitcher available that the brewers couldn't claim. I do believe the brewers probably would not claim one who has 4 years left on his contract, and they would probably target a player who would become a free agent at the end of this year rather than be saddled with a huge contract for the future.

rather than saying no quality players are available, let's be honest with each other and tell it like it really is- the brewers don't want to claim a player with a huge contract past this year. if Zito was made available, the Brewers would still pass on him. They are looking for somebody who could become a FA after the season is over. or they are looking for somebody cheap and young.

and being honest, I have to believe and will agree with Brian that Melvin has probably placed a claim on several players only to see those players being reclaimed by their respective clubs when no deal could be worked out. it's too bad that GM's can't be more open and honest with their fans as to what they really do and what their real plan and priorities are.

I will also agree that melvin doesn't want to acquire a pitcher who has pitched shakey lately or who has a history of arm problems. The reds got burned last year acquiring an injured relief pitcher at the deadline. it appears that the braves got burned this year picking up Dotel as he just went on the DL today.

But saying that, the brewers need an infusion of something - some confidence and swagger.

Reed, you're trying to make a story here where there is none. Your drive to say that the Brewers are being stingy isn't backed up by any evidence other than your concept that there's just gotta be some players out there.

If there were players of value that didn't get pulled back, we'd see them being traded.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Brian. I think maybe there is a story here and one that fans would be very interested in hearing. As a fan, I'd love to hear about the claims melvin put in to stop other trades, and also about the claims he made only to see some other GM block his moves. The trade the Packers almost made for Moss was a huge story debated by both fans and sports columnists both pro and con. The fact the Packers didn't pull the trigger and make the trade made front page news. As a brewer fan I'd love to find out the scoop of the trades that were on the table to Melvin that he didn't make. How close was he to obtaining a devil rays outfielder? how close was he to trading jenkins? and what was he offered? I think an inside look at what the GM does would make a great story.

GM Bowden has gone on record publically in the past as saying he placed claims on many players just to prevent them from being traded or as an annoying guy to block other teams from making their trades. Bowden included a few examples of some of the trades he blocked. Admittedly he went public after he had left the Reds. Phillips has also gone public with some of the moves he tried to make or blocked from happening.

I'm not saying the brewers are being stingy. however, if Manny or AROD was available, I highly doubt they'd put in a claim for him. We both know the brewers could never afford either player. I also doubt the brewers would try to acquire a player like Zito or Pedro Martinez. That's not being stingy- that's being realistic.

Historically there are many players that are routinely placed on waivers. Piazza is a player that was leaked to have cleared wiavers this year. I realize the brewers would have no real reason to acquire Piazza. However, what I'm saying is if Piazza has cleared waivers, surely there are other players who have also cleared waivers as they were all placed on waivers on probably the same day.

Look at the teams who are claiming players. They are all in division races. They are claiming players to fill their needs. Admittedly the needs of the Dodgers and Indians are different from those of the brewers. But they are making moves to fill needs, while the brewers stand pat. Surely there is somebody out there who is available who has cleared waivers whom the Brewers could use. He doesn't have to be an all star. he doesn't have to be some aging player looking for a chance to win a championship ala Don Sutton or Biggio or Lofton. It could be simply some guy like Guardado.

Melvin has a reputation as being a wheeler/dealer among baseball GMs. It seems very uncharacteristic of him not to be making a move. I'm glad we no longer have that pitcher named Ball Four. I would not have wanted to have the Pirates' pitcher Bob Walk either. I wouldn't want a hitter with the nickname KO either. There is just something in the name that says stay away. I don't expect Melvin to acquire a player who still has 4-5 years left on a contract. but I'm kind of expecting Melvin to do something rather than just standing pat.

I'm not a baseball insider, and I can't give specific names of players who were placed on or cleared waivers. But I know from historical "leaks" that there are more players placed on waivers than the GM wants his fan base to know about. And in some cases. the player isn't even informed they were placed on waivers until it was leaked - ala Frank Thomas three years ago.

My question is simple- Are the brewers going to make a waiver move or stand pat and wait for their September call ups to help? My belief is that it would be the wrong decision to stand pat. The Bucks had a chance to acquire Boozer, and stood pat. The Packers had a chance to acquire Moss and stood pat. I would hate to see Melvin make a Bagwell for Anderson type of trade just for the sake of making a trade. But I do believe the brewers have a couple of holes that need filling. and if Melvin waits too long and takes no action now, he won't have to worry about doing anything in Spetember, because the window of opportunity wiill be gone. I would hate to see the brewers come close but lose because they chose to stand pat and go with what got them here. It's pretty clear we've got some tired horses out there.

that's exactly why i posted this thread in the proposals and rumors thread. it's pure speculation on my part. but historical evidence would point to the possibility that melvin could pick up several players if he wanted to.

My question is are the brewers going to stand pat, or is melvin going to make a move?

Guys I'd like the brewers to try to claim would include jamie Walker, Ryan braun (nice name), Embree, CJ Wilson, Guardado, Capps, Kline, Gordon, Ryan franklin, and Weathers. These are all relief pitchers; the majority being left handed. I don't have much confidence in Charlie anymore. And I feel the brewers desparately need a situational lefty in their bullpen. Parra was a huge addition. But wha t the brewers really need is a guy who can come into get 1-2 batters out in crucial situations.

The Brewers' starters are starting to look a lot better. but isn't this the time of year when a starter should be able to pitch 7-9 innings?

I'm proposing the brewers claim a situational lefty.

Here are the guys KNOWN to have cleared waivers so far this year:

C- Josh Paul and Mike Piazza

IF - Mark Sweeney

OF - Pat Burrell, Willy Mo Pena, Eric Byrnes

P - Kyle Farnsworth, Mike Myers, Josh Towers, Steve Traschel

The only one on that list who I could see the Brewers having any interest in is Towers. But a) how much of an upgrade would he be and b) what would we need to give up to acquire him? (Byrnes would have been a second one, but it appears the D-backs intend to keep him given the contract extension.)

And in general, the secretive nature of these proceedings is part of what makes the proceedings even possible. The more public these are made, the less teams could even try to move players in August. If it all became public, then you may as well just make the trade deadline 8/31 and forget about this waiver period of trades.

They already have a fantastic situational lefty in Shouse.... now add, Parra to the mix. Are you saying they should carry another situational lefty?

I really have no reason to believe that if there was a fine bullpen arm that was better than our worst bullpen arm that Melvin would claim and try to work a trade... but the names of the people you have above would probably get snapped up by at least the Cubs, if not someone else with a worse record, like someone contending for the wildcard.

They already have a fantastic situational lefty in Shouse.... now add, Parra to the mix. Are you saying they should carry another situational lefty?

I really have no reason to believe that if there was a fine bullpen arm that was better than our worst bullpen arm that Melvin would claim and try to work a trade... but the names of the people you have above would probably get snapped up by at least the Cubs, if not someone else with a worse record, like someone contending for the wildcard.

No, I'm arguing that there's no one on the list (so far) that I could see DM having much interest in. Which is to counter the contention that DM isn't doing enough or MA isn't willing to spend $$. I believe that if there was anyone we could acquire that would upgrade our club (at any $$ right now), MA and DM would be all over that player.

yes brian, I think the brewers could use another situational lefty besides Shouse and Parra. I think Parra is more suited to starting or long relief. there were about 10 other situational lefties I would have included except those pitchers are on contending teams that I know would not be interested in trading their pitcher to the brewers. I think the brewers' biggest problem today is an overworked and tired short relief staff. this problem could be solved by having some starters actually pitching 7-9 innings. or by adding another fresh relief arm to the mix, or standing pat and hoping our current staff can regain its composure and confidence.

a risk you take in adding a new arm to this staff is the reason he was available was probably because he's been ineffective for the past 2-3 months. would a reliever like benitez or Alfonseca all of a sudden become the great reliever he once was? or would he continue to be the lousy pitcher he currently is?

another problem the brewers face is if the reliever is a good pitcher in the AL, he'd never get past the red Sox and yankees who are also looking for relievers. if he's in the NL, the Cubs would probably jump all over him.

I am kind of surprised we haven't seen more waiver deals made yet. it's been very quiet this year. too quiet. perhaps we'll see more activity towards the end of the month as teams get more desparate to win.

I think one reason there hasnt been as much movement so far for waiver deals is that 12 of the 30 gms in baseball are busy trying to ink their 1st round picks before the wednesday night deadline(a new rule this year). On the flip side, right now may be the best time for other GMs to try to slip some guys through waivers as the distracted GMs may not put in a claim and have to worry about a trade when they risk their pick going back into the draft.

-Don

good point.

I recall in the past a team losing a player to a waiver claim because they weren't paying attention and forgot to reclaim their player because they were too busy doing other things. It wasn't a brewer GM. I know a lot of fantasy basball deals are made on the 4th of july weekend when the other owners are on vacation and not around to veto them.

I suspect there will be several deals made on 31 August. I just believe it's in the Brewers' best interest to pick up a player now.

Archived