Brewer Fanatic

Jim Powell J/S Chat 1:00 Central on Friday

Mass Haas

I just posted two questions in the chat. I will be staying with the chat for an hour or so. Thanks for heads up Mass. I asked Powell if the Brewers could be exploring a waiver wire claim of a utility infielder or will search in-house for Graffy's replacement.

I appreciate whomever put the good word out there for Brewerfan.net, but I would ask that people don't use "from Brewerfan.net" unless they're a staff member of the site. Not that the question asked wasn't something respectful and level-headed, but we've had instances in the past where it had been not the case.

And in other news, some fans need to be put on suicide watch.

Seriously, I was surprised some of them made it through the chat. Yeah things haven't been going well for a few weeks now, but we're right in the middle of it! Enjoy it for what it is!

I went all in a few months ago with this team so I'm riding it out for better or worse. We will get hot again eventually this year.

Wow, those are some horribly depressing questions. Yes, the team has been playing like crap lately, but saying the season is finished when they're in first place? That's taking pessimism to another level...jeez. It seems like JP's getting tired of those kinds of questions, too.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

i don't understand why people make out Powell to be some apologist for the team because he's not up there yelling out "--- stinks!" like some questioners want him to. to me he's always been pretty honest in his evaluations of the team, and i can understand him taking the high road with a lot of answers, not just because it's a long season, but in part to calm the fans who seem to think this is the worst team we've had since 2002.

i don't understand why people make out Powell to be some apologist for the team because he's not up there yelling out "--- stinks!" like some questioners want him to. to me he's always been pretty honest in his evaluations of the team, and i can understand him taking the high road with a lot of answers, not just because it's a long season, but in part to calm the fans who seem to think this is the worst team we've had since 2002.

Just because JP isn't frothing at the mouth when he's critical of the Brewers doesn't mean he's an apologist. Not to mention the fact that Jim has to have a working relationship with these people.

What's better, flaming players?... or having a good enough relationship with the players that they'll actually want to be interviewed by you?

As someone who walks this line on a much smaller scale, I don't think anyone realizes how hard it is to work with the organization to bring people information, yet put your opinions out there.

Unlike most announcers, JP is actually employed by WTMJ and not the Brewers and he demanded that. Now he doesn't do much outside of baseball (ie he'll do sports coverage for vacations etc over the winter) but he isn't the typical shill.

Endaround, congrats on the 10000th post!

That was a great question Mass. I have been wondering the same thing. The Corey Hart suggestion intrigues me, but that would mean Weeks would have to step up into the leadoff spot.

Just an FYI, I did not submit a question to today's chat so that was not my question from Brewerfan.net.http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif Plus, most people know that I am not really a Ned basher, although I might not be a fan of his.

EDIT: Missed a zero on the congratulations. Must be losing my sight early.http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

My two favorite lines: "Relax and enjoy the show", and "You do realize they are in first place, don't you?". I should get these lines tattooed on my forehead...or, maybe just put them in my sig. Thank you, Jim. I sure do love levelheadedness.

Actually, can we get those lines permanently attached to the top of the main forum page?

P.S.-Congrats, end, on your milestone post.

I broke my own rules about reading JS Brewer chats because I was bored and because I could script the damn things in my head even before reading a sentence, and I was not disappointed. The guy who trashed Prince for, hello, sticking up for his pitcher (Bush) by saying "I wish fans wouldn't boo" and this clown who wrote the question calls him things like a "punk" and not a leader like "Jeter or SUPPAN". I had to laugh at the complete cluelessness of this comment..

Ugh, I should know better than to put any stock to any of these questions in these chats (present company excepted, of course) but writing crap like "Dear Jim...Well, seasons over" is enough to raise my BP..

Powell is awesome. I love how he doesn't try to titrate the level of conversation to tailor to the occasional idiot who writes in. Most writers/announcers will be like "yeah, I'm with you idiot boy, the off-base, inaccurate comments you made have validity". Then he'll contradict himself two questions later when answering an intelligent question.

JP, on the other hand, is more like:

Superawesomedude111: How come the Brewers is suck and Ned Yost is susposed to be fired?

Jim: Because you're a moron.

Archived