Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis calls up Rick Ankiel

dlk9s

Interesting. It's arguable that they should have made this move earlier, considering how bad all their outfielders except Duncan have been.

However, despite Ankiel's impressive home run totals, there are reasons to be concerned about how he'll do in MLB. His MLE is about a .730 OPS, which would be only a 93 or so OPS+. That's better than Edmonds, but not as good as Spiezio, Taguchi, Ludwick, Schumaker, or Encarnacion.

He looks to me like he'll be (at best) a Tony Batista-esque player, which might work in center but probably won't play at the corners. I could see him having a year where he hits 30-35 homers and slugs .500 or so, but he'll struggle to keep his OBP north of .300.

I can see him being a nice bat off the bench and spot starter, but I think he would be exposed as an every day player.

I saw him play a few years ago against the Timber Rattlers. I thought it was pretty impressive that he was going all the way back down to A ball to try to make this comeback with his switch to the outfield. I was happy to hear during the Braves game today that the Cards were bringing him up today - it's quite a comeback for him. Speaking of the Braves, they're trying to pull a Brewers as they've given up 3 runs in the 9th. Then it just looked like the Mets were going to tie it with a homerun but the Braves made a great catch to save it for now.

I'll tell you what, next to the Yankees, the Cards are my most hated team, but this story is just too good. The public humiliation, the public crash and burn, I can't believe I would have had the wherewithal to survive psychologically. In a way this story is the antithesis of the Bonds saga. Bravo to Rick, no one can take away his story.

When the Cardinals win the division (they are only 5.5 out now) he could end up with comeback player of the year while Pujols wins MVP.

I'm not usually a manager type of guy but LaRussa seems to always win more than his crappy teams should so he is one of the rare ones that I think actually matter.

Yeah Im watching the game as well. Ankiel has a nice lefty stroke up at the plate. Also made a nice catch in RF. The announcers said he could probably play CF when Edmonds is done. Between Rick and Josh Hamitlon a couple of very nice stories out of the NL Central. It's to bad Hamitlon went on the DL for so long, he could have some very nice numbers.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

When the Cardinals win the division (they are only 5.5 out now)

But they aren't really only 5.5 games back. They are 5.5 games back on the Brewers and 5 games back on the Cubs. It would be pretty comparable to being "only" 8 games back and in second place. Even if we peg the Brewers and Cubs as .500 teams going forward, the Cardinals have almost no chance at all.

When the Cardinals win the division (they are only 5.5 out now)

But they aren't really only 5.5 games back. They are 5.5 games back on the Brewers and 5 games back on the Cubs. It would be pretty comparable to being "only" 8 games back and in second place. Even if we peg the Brewers and Cubs as .500 teams going forward, the Cardinals have almost no chance at all.

How many times has the Brewers WPA shown we have almost no chance to lose this year? Probably a good 7 or 8 times in which we lost. anything can happen and while I think the Cardinals team is horrible I was only halfway being sarcastic by my statement.

How many times has the Brewers WPA shown we have almost no chance to lose this year? Probably a good 7 or 8 times in which we lost. anything can happen

Because the Brewers have inexplicably lost several times this year has nothing to do with the Cardinals' chances. Anything can happen almost by definition but it doesn't make them anymore probable. I realize that it was a sarcastic prediction but it's been made by several posters here and much more unlikely than some around here seem to think. We are probably talking about a 1 in 50 chance right now.

I guess I'm not the kind of guy to share my predictions unless I actually think they have a realistic chance of happening. Otherwise, they are just the bar room/internet type predictions no one is willing to bet a penny on. Let me know if I'm wrong. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived