Brewer Fanatic

Impressed with Dillon so far

AJAY
I'd say next year it will be between Dillon and Rottino for the Graffanino role. Tough call, as both are versatile, but Dillon's the better bat, while Vinny is that elusive third catcher that Ned's always wanted (pre-roster expansion of course).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BF.net's "Salaries" page has the following, and I don't know if it is in error or not (complicated, since Dillon has played in a couple of different seasons at the MLB level)

2008: $390,000

2009: $400,000

2010: $400,000

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Do the Brewers control Dillon's contract for next season?

In general minor league free agents don't have any say so over their major league contract. So Dillon's contract can be renewed at the Brewer's discretion assuming he remains on the 25 man roster.

Do the Brewers control Dillon's contract for next season?

In that they have control over his rights, yes. He's still pre-arby as a major leaguer, so the Brewers can renew his contract. The salaries page on Brewerfan is accurate AFAIK. He's ours cheap through 2010 if we want him. That's bad for him, but I'll guess that if he performs well, the Brewers will reward him at least a little bit.

I love his approach at the plate. He looks like he could walk a bunch of times if he felt he could get regular playing time. He doesn't have the power he showed in the minors, but if he got 400 PA, I could see 15-20 jacks.

Dillon is the perfect bench player (he's productive, versatile, and cheap) for a team who will need to start increasing salaries of their young regulars over the next 2-3 years. The Brewers had a lot of salary dedicated to bench players this year for because they had so many pre-arby regulars.

The other thing to like about him is that unlike many typical veteran minor leaguers who tear up AAA year after year, he's not a free swinger who strikes out a lot. Those guys tend to struggle facing better pitching night after night.

BF.net's "Salaries" page has the following, and I don't know if it is in error or not (complicated, since Dillon has played in a couple of different seasons at the MLB level)

2008: $390,000

2009: $400,000

2010: $400,000

When a player is unsigned, yet under team control, future salaries on the salary page are just placeholders. As Joe's major league service before this year amounts to 53 days and 87 plate appearances, his 2008 salary would be a token amount over next year's minimum wage, whatever that is.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

his 2008 salary would be a token amount over next year's minimum wage, whatever that is.
Where a "token amount" may equal the total annual pay of many of us mere mortals. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

A Dillon/Gross platoon next year in LF would be just what the doctor ordered. It has 800 OPS potential. Let's get the huge Jenkins and Mench contacts off of our back.

I'm with you on this. I like the idea of the guy who gets the short end of the platoon to be more versitile than Mench. A guy who can play agianst lefties and still be an vialbe backup at first, second, third and the outfield makes him all the more viable. Bench players should be useful for more than one thing.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The crazy thing about Dillon though is that he actually hit righties better than lefties this year in Nashville. I'd still keep him as a platoon but he might be better than Mench because you could keep him in there against right handed relievers and not have to worry about it.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Joe%20Dillon&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=434338

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived