Brewer Fanatic

Impressed with Dillon so far

AJAY
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Rottino out of our plans now? (honest question. Curious to find out.)
I would imagine Rottino will be on the roster as a combination player. Heck, he might even be the backup catcher. If they feel he's at least competent at catcher, then we'll have Estrada catching 130 games and Rottino catching 32. He could also fill in at 3b, 1b, LF, and RF. It's awkward, because he'd get more playing time and pinch hitting chances if we carry 3 catchers. I still don't anticipate Mench and Jenkins returning, although both are heating up to tease us again.

I just don't think I'm sold on Dillon playing 2B and being the main back up. He can play 3B, 1B, and OF. He doesn't have a heck of a lot of experience the past few years as he's gotten older playing 2B...as far as Rottino I hope he gets a shot in September. The last few games I've been to Rivera has been on the bench and Vinny has been catching...maybe if Miller is moved or retires Vinny will replace him?

I think Dillon needs to get some AB's, someplace. He's hot, and god knows the team needs the offense.

He definitely seems to suffer from the "AAAA" or "non-prospect" tag. If you just looked at the numbers at not his age, or history, I think the conversation would be different.

For some reason, I really think Dillon could outperform Kevin Mench. Dillon just looks like he has a better approach at the plate.

Oh boy, I agree all the way! Mench is just hoping to flip the ball to right field. Dillon drives the ball hard to all fields with power.

The problem is Yost has decided he's the #4 OFer and so he has too many PAs against RHP. About 80 too many.

I think this is true -- and the concept of Mench starting against RHP is a bad one -- but I think a lot of those ABs are because

1.) Hall got hurt

2.) Yost needs 13 pitchers, and we lose position player flexibility

Edit: Mench is 21st among NL OFers with 50 PA against LHP this season -- he is hurt by the fact that his OBP basically equals his BA. He hits them

well I guess -- but I wouldn't say he "kills" them

If Dillion looks good with his shot here, he could lock of the other backup infield spot. He can play the corners and not be an easy out and also play the corner OF spots.

Rottino needs to become a better catcher if he ever wants to make it to the bigs and stay. I dont see his flexibilty like some do. In a pinch he can play the corner infield spots but that is like Rillo playing SS last year. Vinny needs to pack his bags and go to some other team so that we can sit on another teams bench. I will be happy to see him go and sit some where else starting next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

PS, to date with the Brewers:

Mench's OPS+

2006: 44 (that is horrific, small sample, right?)

2007: 87 (also horrific, not a small sample anymore, that's a trend)

Back to Dillon- no one is expecting him to hit .625 his whole life. However, his MLE's look much better than Mench. Given the age difference is only 2.5 years the biggest difference between the two has been opportunity and salary.

I think Dillon can be a league average player, which would put him closer to the required 100 OPS+ we're looking for in a bench player.

Off topic: Ryan Braun's OPS+ is currently 171. Great googly moogly.

http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it time for Joe Dillon to get some more playing time ahead of Jenkins and Mench? I trust Dillon in the clutch more than either of those two. I hate to sound like a broked record, but I just love the professional approach to hitting that Dillon brings to this team.

I don't care about sample size. My eyes see a profesional hitter in Dillon.

Like I said in the IGT, it's quite amazing that he's never been given a chance, even though he's had a career 900 OPS in the minors. I agree with your assessment of his approach; he's looking to right field every time, and he hits the ball hard that way. I remember his first AB of the season against Billy Wagner in the 9th inning, and he rocketed a line drive to right. He's been more than impressive in his short time here, and I hope he's given the same chance next season.

i have a feeling that he'll deliver a key pinch hit in a much-needed victory by next week's end.

So he could be the Ned Yost of 2007? http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

If not Joe, just imagine who it could be.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

He may wind up being a regular, or may wind up as a AAAA-type. But he's been interesting to watch, and a hot bat since his call-up. These are the types of players you ride during their hot streaks. When I lived in St. Louis, I remember the Cards doing this with a lot of players, Bo Hart, John Rodriguez, and this year Rick Ankiel. Give them the playing time. Many of those players did not succeed long term, but we could use a really good 2 weeks, and that is definitely what a hungry player eager to prove he's a major leaguer can offer.

(I apologize if any of these point were already made.)

Archived