Brewer Fanatic

Impressed with Dillon so far

AJAY

Just wanted to say that I am really impressed with Joe Dillon's ability to slap the ball around the field and hit it wherever it's pitched. He has a really professional approach at the plate. I know it's a very tiny sample, but I really like what I see so far. If Grafanino goes to the DL, I would give Dillon a shot to play second before Weeks gets into the lineup.

Does anyone know anything about Dillon's defense? Is he any good as an infielder?

(added tag --1992)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love if Dillon can play 2nd acceptably. Weeks is alleged to be the worst defender at 2nd in MLB, so it's not like Dillon would have to be Bill Mazeroski out there.

I'm not saying Dillon would definitely do well playing every day, but his MLEs suggest he could be pretty servicable with the bat.

I think Dillon is a good fit for what they need him for right now. A righty bench player that can probably play just about anywhere and if he only gets an at bat every other game it's not a big deal. I don't know if I would say I am impressed with 5 AB's, but I am happy with what he has done so far in limited action.

Looking at the highlights (or lowlights) from today's game, it looks like Dillon wasn't able to get to a little flare in the area between second and RF that let in a couple runs -- it was a play that most second basemen would make, in my opinion. I like Dillon at the plate, but he's not better than Weeks as far as range goes.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Looking at the highlights (or lowlights) from today's game, it looks like Dillon wasn't able to get to a little flare in the area between second and RF that let in a couple runs

And that made all the difference in the world in that game.

Dillon has had what a total of six at bats and some people want him to play everyday. There is a reason why this guy is a journeyman and is a AAAA player. Let him ride the pine along with Counsell and get Rickie in the lineup everyday again. Dillon is no more than a journeyman stopgap.

Sample size is pretty small, but he seems to bat pretty well. And doesn't appear to be to amped due to his return to MLB. As far as defense, hard to tell listening to the radio. But he's got the wide eye'd look of a meth addict, so he's ok in my book.

I'd rather they just move Hall back to 2B at this point, and make Rickie fight for a position again, but I know that probably won't happen.
And what, start Jenkins and Mench full time? Bring up Gwynn again?

I think I'd rather have a struggling Weeks than our other options in the OF.

Not to mention the fact Hall looks like he is finally adjusting to CF and so there is no reason to move him again.

I asked this awhile ago also...if you look at baseball cube he hasn't played 2B all that often and I was wondering why some were saying he'd be the backup there. I'd personally let him play there a bit and leave Rickie down in Nashville until Tuesday (Crew has off today and Monday). I think calling him up now would be like "benching" him before. You can't do/say one thing and then reverse it right away. Get Rickie some more ABs and let him get some extra base hits. He struggled for most of the year and I don't think he's all of a sudden back to normal after a week.

Dillon has had what a total of six at bats and some people want him to play everyday. There is a reason why this guy is a journeyman and is a AAAA player. Let him ride the pine along with Counsell and get Rickie in the lineup everyday again. Dillon is no more than a journeyman stopgap.

I don't think anyone is saying he should be the starter for the next 5 years, but the point is that he has looked good at the plate. Obviously, the sample size is tiny, but the way he looks when he hits, the way he approaches the at-bat, is very refreshing. He doesn't try to do too much.

I'm thinking he's the Brewers version of Bob "Hurricane" Hazle of 1957 Braves lore. For the uninformed, Hazle was a career minor leaguer who came up to Milwaukee in late July of 57, then became lefty swinging platoon in LF when Wes Covington got hurt (Andy Pafko was righthanded counterpart). Hazle sizzled for two months (batting over .400) helping propel Braves to pennant.

As fast as he came, he was gone the next year after a slow start and a trade to Detroit.

Archived