Brewer Fanatic

Sheets Update... Latest: Ben to start Wed., Aug. 28 vs. Cubs

bobskube

I have not heard a peep for a week about his progress. This probably does not bode well.

I just hate the MLB injury reports. They seem to be so inaccurate. At first, Yost says it was the best injury that Sheets could have and said he would miss a start. Then they said 1 to 2 weeks. Then they tell us two to 4 weeks. And then the next report was the current 4 to 6 weeks.

It has been three weeks+ since the injury and I have not heard anything except Sheets not feeling well two Sundays ago. I was hoping he would be ready for the big Cubs series on August 28-30. I bet we are looking more at about September 10th. I would not be surprised if Soriano beat him back.

Does anyone have anymore accurate news?

(added tag --1992)

(updated thread title --1992)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buster Olney was saying on baseball tonight that he and Sheets exchanged text messages and that Sheets is feeling better but wont be back until early September.

Thanks.

I guess I will expect him back about September 15th for 3 starts. Hopefully, we are still in it then.

I assume he would be added to the playoff roster? Not sure howthat works if you are on the DL? Do you have to be added by the 31st? I'm sure there is some strange rule that addresses this without a player who is hurt having to actually be on the active roster.

Why would they keep updating his condition? They've said he'll be back around September 1 (not coincidently when they won't have to drop a guy to make room for him). They've also said he's able to simulate his throwing motion to keep his arm close to being ready so he won't need more than a couple rehab starts presumably before the end of the minor league season.

"I assume he would be added to the playoff roster? Not sure howthat works if you are on the DL? Do you have to be added by the 31st?"

From the brewerfan.net FAQ page, the player must be on the 40-man roster, not necessarily the 25-man roster:

"Which players are eligible are allowed to be on the post-season roster? Players that are on the 40-man roster by August 31st are eligible to be on the post-season roster. If a player is injured, any player in the organization can be used. The restriction in this case is that a hitter be substituted for a hitter, and a pitcher be substituted for a pitcer."

I just hate the MLB injury reports. They seem to be so inaccurate. At first, Yost says it was the best injury that Sheets could have and said he would miss a start. Then they said 1 to 2 weeks. Then they tell us two to 4 weeks. And then the next report was the current 4 to 6 weeks.

About a week after his injury, we knew he'd be out until around early September but that it was hard to pin an exact date down. There's really nothing more to report, now. He's throwing with a splint and breaking up fights.

I see little chance of him coming back.

What information do you have that we all don't?

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I think it's fair to ask whether, if there is the slightest question about the healing/recovery process, it's worth bringing Sheets back at all this season if the upcoming road trip turns out to be a debacle.

I'm certainly not giving up on the season, especially as I don't believe in any team in the Central at this point, but if the Crew comes out of the trip 3 games back, under .500 and possibly in third place, I think there needs to be a depper evaluation made, most especially because as disappointing as this season may turn out, the future is still very bright.

Given the nature of the injury there is no reason for him not to come back from it. If it was an arm or shoulder or elbow or something I could understand it. Even if we were 15 games out of 1st there wouldn't be a big reason not to bring him back.

I agree, Ennder that if he checks out medically, he pitches, regardless of the standings. I'm not a doctor, and I didn't stay at a Holiday In Express last night, so I'm just wondering what the margin of error on the clearance process should be.

I thought Sheets has had a few blisters before...at least had to come out of games due to it. As a matter of fact, didn't that happen once this year? I don't think he missed a start so this shouldn't be too bad. Just not the best news, but I guess I'm not shocked.

I thought Sheets has had a few blisters before...at least had to come out of games due to it. As a matter of fact, didn't that happen once this year? I don't think he missed a start so this shouldn't be too bad. Just not the best news, but I guess I'm not shocked.

Yeah that was why I was asking. I don't recall him having problems in previous years but thats at least twice he's had blister issues this season. Just curious if it had happened before and I'm not remembering it or if maybe something has changed in his delivery that is causing the problems.

Archived