Brewer Fanatic

David DeJesus

If Jenkins stays on his current pace, I can totally see the Brewers declining his option and resigning him for a couple years at a discounted price (2yrs/$6-8M total). However, if the Brewers are looking for a new face, David DeJesus should be a prime candidate. Sure, I'd love to nab Carl Crawford first, but I think it'd take much more to get him than DeJesus. That is not to say the Royals won't get fair price for him, but they seem more reasonable to work with than the Rays.

DeJesus would play LF. He's got career #s of .290BA/.363OBP. This year he's K'd 59 times and BB'd 45 times in 438 ABs. He seems like the perfect fit between Hart and Braun. His contract is very nice: '08-$2.5m, '09-$3.6M, and '10-$4.7M with an option for '11.

Like I mentioned, the Royals aren't going to give him away. So, what do they need? Pitching. I figure it'd take Bush or Capuano (I don't think Vargas would get it done). Something along the lines of Bush/Capuano & Gwynn/Gross for DeJesus, perhaps a bullpen arm like Gobble/Soria/Greinke, and/or some AAA SP depth.

A lineup of

Hart

DeJesus

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Hardy

Estrada

Weeks

seems like a good one to me.

Here's an option if Jenkins is retained. Vargas to the Braves for Matt Diaz plus ...? Diaz would be the RH platoon-mate for Jenks. He's cheap and has put up good #s as a platoon. This would make Mench expendable and save some money.

Thoughts?

I like the idea. I would think if the Brewers would get him, Hall would be moved to LF since DeJesus plays CF already. However, that's not really a problem either way. Seems like DeJesus could be a cheaper upgrade to Jenkins (whom I believe is gone after this season).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Plus, you know what they say.... Don't mess with DeJesus....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/joemilitello/den/The20jesus20big.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I like him quite a bit. If they played him in CF and moved Hall to 2B, I'd be for it. But that's just not going to happen. He'd be a nice guy to bat near the top of the order who gets on base and runs well (even though he can't steal bases, he can run).

Love the Big Lebowski reference. He would be a nice player but with the way Hall has struggled to hit HR's this year if he continues next year do you want Hart as your only starting OF who can put up power numbers? I dont. I wish we could get Crawford, but I doubt that will happen. Although he doesnt have much power either, but can steal a lot of bases and hit around .300.

How about signing Dunn, Byrnes or Jones as a free agent instead?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

How about signing Dunn, Byrnes or Jones as a free agent instead?

Byrnes just signed an extension with Arizona today. Signing Andruw Jones would be a horrible idea. We don't need a power hitter who strikes out all the time. Actually, I guess he would be a better choice than Dunn, even if Dunn is a little cheaper, since Jones can actually field his position. At any rate, both would be a big waste of money.

Dunn would be an awesome addition. They need guys that get on base, in a huge way. Definitely not a waste of money. The Brewers aren't even going to have a chance at him, he was born to play for Theo Epstein, and that's where he's going to be.

Andruw Jones is going to be a huge steal for whomever signs him if he experiences a market backlash for a poor first half - he just had a massive July. His defense at this point is pretty overrated, though.

Hoping for KC to trade DeJesus is like someone else hoping for the Brewers to trade Fielder. Not gonna happen. He's the type of guy they have a hope of building around, so trading him off likely would only send them further backwards . . . and they're pretty far down as it is.

Hoping for KC to trade DeJesus is like someone else hoping for the Brewers to trade Fielder. Not gonna happen. He's the type of guy they have a hope of building around, so trading him off likely would only send them further backwards . . . and they're pretty far down as it is.

I don't think the Fielder comparison is appropriate... DeJesus is 27, in his 1st year of arby, and had numbers comparable to Billy Hall. Yeah, it would take effort to pry him loose, but I don't think we can compare him to a potential MVP-type player.

we don't need that K's. almost our entire team is strikeout prone. we don't need to add another 200 k's per year. contact and OBP is what
this team needs. not more homers. also we don't need to drop 15 mil + on a lackluster outfielder. i'd rather give kevin mench left field and give him a shot to play every day, and see if he can come up with a .270 BA and 25 or 30 homers for a fraction of the cost.

by the way HI EVERYONE! this is my first post on brewerfan.net. i'm a recent convert from the brewers.com fan forum. i'm excited to actually talk about brewers baseball.

we don't need that K's. almost our entire team is strikeout prone. we don't need to add another 200 k's per year. contact and OBP is what

this team needs. not more homers. also we don't need to drop 15 mil + on a lackluster outfielder. i'd rather give kevin mench left field and give him a shot to play every day, and see if he can come up with a .270 BA and 25 or 30 homers for a fraction of the cost.

by the way HI EVERYONE! this is my first post on brewerfan.net. i'm a recent convert from the brewers.com fan forum. i'm excited to actually talk about brewers baseball.

Welcome aboard.

I disagree with your assessments about the strikeouts... Much statistical evidence points to strikeouts having no correlation to run production. If DeJesus was a guy with a low OBP, I would care more about the K's... but he's also a decent contact hitter.

Mench only has decent numbers this year because he's platooning. Any consistent time against RHP and he'd be downright miserable.

Archived