Brewer Fanatic

collecting bobbles is a crime at miller park

mattsr0625
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think as the team has gotten better and tickets are more difficult to get the brewers should review their all fan promotional guidelines. This whole problem would go away if the changed it to 1 per person over the age of 2. I get very annoyed watching people leave the stadium at 1230 with 10 bobbleheads. If people don't want their bobblehead and they sell it inside or on ebay, i have no problem with that. The fact that some people will go through the effort to go to the stadium with a bunch of tickets, leave and sell their bobbleheads for about a 10 dollar profit is amazing to me.

Unfortunately this bobblehead craze started as a great keepsake for going to a game and now has become a business. I try to go to all the bobblehead games so i can get one for my shelf. I do not care if it is a retro, i do not try to get both, i would never sell my bobbleheads, and because some don't see it like that, people are stuck getting worse seats than they would otherwise or getting shut out completely.

Also as BCin2004 stated, I am 27 and enjoy collecting bobbleheads too, and i know many other adults share in it. Plus by giving them to kids, will only mean that these losers will try to get them from kids, get kids to bring to the games, and since they will be more rare get more money for them.

There is a prevailing myth of huge pockets of empty seats during these giveaways, and it's just not true. How many people are really leaving the game once they get their bobbles? Not many. I know it's a "large" amount in terms of numbers, but what about %? Truth of the matter is that that place was packed on Sunday, all game and most people who come for the bobble stay for the game. Of the 43,000+ announced attendance, how many are still in the park in the 5th inning? 41,000? 42,000? 42,500? It's not like the place empties out after the bobbles are handed out. The only place I noticed a lot of empty seats on Sunday was up in the Dew Deck, which is a group section not available on a per game basis anyway. And I don't think people are getting worse tickets than they otherwise would. If anything the "bobble resellers" are buying the cheapest (worse?) tickets that can find.

There are always some groups that buy out a few rows and never make it in, you see it at every game. And surely there are people who buy a bunch of tickets for bobble heads and don't use all of them, but they are in the minority. Besides most of the people buying tons of tickets for the bobbles are buying Bernies tickets, standing room only tickets or they stand in line for Uecker tickets. Thats arguable the two worse (and smallest) seat locations and standing room. Very few people are getting shut out on tickets simply because of the comic book guy.

(And yes, I collect bobbles, but just for the record, the most tickets I've ever bought "just for the bobbles" was 2, and I did it once.)

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

well i got a call from another guest relations person and was told that for my troubles i will get a damian miller auto ball. now they want to help. thanks

Matt, did you call them again? Or did someone perhaps come across a certain message board and realize that bad customer service + the internet = bad idea.

Either way, good for you.

i know atleast myself never implied that the place clears out at 1 pm for bobblehead games, still though 500 people is rather significant (even though its about 1% capacity). Thats 500 people that have to miss a game that they want to be at and have to pay atleast double for a bobblehead on ebay if they really want one.

best they could do was a Miller ball?

they should be able to do a hell of a lot better than that imo

http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/sick.gif

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You know, I've read alot of things on this board that have indicated to me that the Brewers organization is not dedicated to customer service. I couldn't afford a ticket package of any kind at the start of the season but am on pace to attend 20-30 games through good fortune.

When I approach a ticket window, I take a deep breath and get ready. I feel like I'm on the defensive.

That really pisses me off when I read things like this.

I'm glad you got something but I think you deserve more.

He saw a guy who kept going through the bobblehead line getting multiple bobbles on one ticket. Matt saw him and said something to one usher who blew him off, then he said something to another usher. When the ushers approached this guy he told them it was the other way around, that Matt was the one going through the line over and over. This guy was sent on his way while Matt was asked to leave the stadium.

I think I got that right.

I think that 20fry is right on target, and I'm not surprised at all to hear about the ES treatment of people, or of the organization's attitude towards those of us with less money. Two seasons ago, I went to a Brewers/Cubs game at MP with my dad. I go to 20-30 games per year, mostly on Ueckers or in the upper deck. My dad went to many more games. That year, he went to 56. My dad was a garbageman, but he loved baseball and the Brewers, and he typically sat in the Uecker seat or the terrace as well. At this particular game, we had standing room tickets (as it was a sell-out) and we stood behind fans on the loge level. As it turns out, we stood behind a group of Cub fans, and the Brewers jumped out to a huge lead on Mark Prior. All of a sudden an ES person told my father that if he didn't stop his "obnoxious clapping," we would be asked to leave. my dad (a mild-mannered guy) was instantly enraged, and after arguing with the ES guy for a minute, a pit boss intervened, and threated to "throw him into the jail" at MP. For cheering on the Brewers at MP!!! A little once-a-year Illinois money speaks louder than a lifetime of loyalty. I got my dad to just walk away. We watched the rest of the game from a different location. Eventually, I went to guest services, and I was later compensated with 2 100-level tickets to a future game after I threatened to take the story to the local news media. I was happy with tickets, but that experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I often feel like a second-class citizen now at MP, because I can't afford big-money tickets. Like others here, however, I am a huge Brewers fan, and I spend a lot (for me) on tix, shirts, etc. It's clear that money is what really talks at MP. I think that we should stick together so that the Brewers know that it's not okay for ES or other MP employees to treat the little guy this way.

I have to agree with Tracy, I'm still looking for a problem in the first place...if a guy bought the tickets, he's spent his money and can get the bobbles.

Also, he is a partial season ticket holder, not a season ticket holder. You aren't going to make any headway arguing that, it's simply the truth.

dadofandrew, the problem was the fact that he only had one ticket. so in a sense he was stealing bobbles. when i told on him only security walked over to him, looked at him and walked away. then he flipped it one me and i was approached by the cops and security. thats what pissed me off. then i was told they will take my bobbles and kick me out. i was also told i have to stay in my seat for the remainder of the game. so i said in a matter of words, they can go screw themselfs and i got tossed. thats my problem. then when i called to complain i was brushed off like some punk kid. also pissed me off. and im not arguing the point of the season tickets vs partial ticket holder, its the point. the way he corrected me and then dismissed me like an unwanted stepchild. thats when he i was no longer important and the conversation ended. but anyway i got a miller sweet spot ball, a pack of cards, keychain, and backyard baseball demo game. wonder if this guy is a member.

Thanks for clearing that up Matt. You would think that the ushers would care that he was stealing the bobbles. There is no other word to describe what he was doing. He was stealing. Maybe it's guys like him is the reason why I have gotten so many rainchecks this year instead of the actual bobblehead.

I also love the fact that you were important to the customer service guy until he found out that you were only a 20-game package holder.

also, he is a partial season ticket holder, not a season ticket holder. You aren't going to make any headway arguing that, it's simply the truth.

How is that the truth? The Brewers sell the partial ticket plan on the idea that you are becoming a season ticket holder. So all the partial season ticket holders, who make up more than half the entire season ticket base, aren't really season ticket holders? Boy oh boy, I don't think thats the way the Brewers want to market things.

I have to agree with Tracy, I'm still looking for a problem in the first place...if a guy bought the tickets, he's spent his money and can get the bobbles.

You misread what he said. The guy entered the stadium on one ticket and worked the bobble attendants for multiple bobbles. = stealing.

I can understand how people might think it's not really a big deal, nothing to get all worked up about, but here's the thing. There are a lot of us who want to collect the bobbles and do so legitimately. We're not buying 20 tickets, were not hustling for extras, we're not walking out with giant bag fulls of bobbles. But things are getting screwed up and people are getting upset and turned off by a minority of people, like the guy Matt reported. I'd hate to lose a popular promotion because of that kind of stuff.

edit : I walked away from my computer before I hit reply. I didn't see your reply D.O.A.

i would love it if they only did one bobblehead, a lot of teams do that, but then they only hand it out to the first 20-25,000 fans

That wouldn't be a great idea either, since you'd then have all of the savages camped out with 40 tickets the minute the gates open. I say offer a single design and still give it to everyone. You still draw the massive crowd, everyone leaves happy, and you get rid of greedy nonsense like this dork who stole bobbleheads to make a profit. If everyone has one and they're only worth a modest $10-15, nobody goes through as much as they do now. That, or they could sell the bobbles for a moderate price to keep it's "street value" lower.

If they really want 2 designs, mix 'em 50-50.

Archived