Brewer Fanatic

Wes Helms speaks out (Booing former Brewers)

AJAY
Balkin,

Did Uecker really say that about Estrada? If he did, that's hilarious.

Yep, he really did. I couldn't believe it when I heard it and laughed my tail off. It was just a slip of the tongue, but it was awesome.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this debate about Wes Helms sucking and getting booed because of that is irrelevant.

He is right... almost every former Brewer that comes back gets booed. The Cirillo one was the lamest boos. I didn't really think this was unique to Milwaukee though... I could be wrong.

It would just be nice if people saved their boos and made them count for guys like Sheffield.

The strange thing is, most stadiums I've been to actually cheer for former players unless they've spoken ill of the team or city, or unless they'd been consistently lazy or done something really bad when they were with the team. That doesn't fit the bill for the majority of ex-Brewers who have gotten booed the last couple years.

Well, it's evidence Milwaukee cares more about their team than the players? Brewers come before players?

I remember when I was a kid Gorman Thomas would get cheered when he came back. But he was a pennant winner for this team.

Molitor got boo'd I believe and that's despicable.

But booing all these other guys is ho-hum to me. I mean, they played for terrible, terrible Brewers teams. We're doing better now.....I don't know, it just doesn't seem bad to boo these guys who aren't with us any longer. They're not Brewers so why not be jestful with them a bit? I mean, I'm supposed to cheer for some guy who helped the team win 60 odd games a year for how long?

Gary Sheffield is the only former Brewer that actually deserves the boos he gets. Other than that, what have most other former Brewers done except play up to or down to their abilities?

Belliard.

Hopefully the Colorado faithful won't be all over Counsell for leaving them in the lurch.http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

I was almost amazed by the reception Counsell gets from Arizona fans. Every game I went to during spring training this year, he got a standing ovation during the player introductions or whenever he came into the game. Maybe Brewers players need to win a championship before they are free from booing after they move to another team.

Hopefully the Colorado faithful won't be all over Counsell for leaving them in the lurch.http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

Hopefully he DOES get booed, because according to Wes that would make him try harder.

For the record, I always liked the guy. I was disappointed that he wasn't a second coming of Mike Schmidt but he wasn't that bad of a player when healthy.

I understand that he is a nice guy and was well liked by his teammates. He was a horrible fielder and is more suited to playing in the AL as strictly a DH. Put a guy who is slightly less mobile than Prince with stone hands at 3B and you get Wes Helms.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Booing a guy for screwing up at work just seems ridiculous to me. I know it is part of baseball tradition, but I promise you it would be a differant story if the everyday fan ever got booed at their job. Can you imagine spectators booing construction workers, bus drivers, or teachers. I just get visuals of a full class of high school students booing their math teacher because he makes a calculation error on the board.

That being said, I really hope we don't get the reputation as having a bad fan base. We can barely get players interested in playing here as it is. We need fans that will live and die with this team, as most on this site do, not people who turn on the Brewers just because they have a tough stretch. This is the best team we have had in years, and they should be treated that way. I would argue that our fans have become tougher on the team since they started playing well.

Booing a guy for screwing up at work just seems ridiculous to me. I know it is part of baseball tradition, but I promise you it would be a differant story if the everyday fan ever got booed at their job. Can you imagine spectators booing construction workers, bus drivers, or teachers. I just get visuals of a full class of high school students booing their math teacher because he makes a calculation error on the board.

Isn't it really tradition for all forms of entertainment though? When I mess up on Guitar Hero, the crowd boos. If there was an awful act on The Gong Show or Showtime at the Apollo, the crowd would boo.

At least the Brewers don't have to worry about Sandman Simms shooing them off the field with a broom.

The argument that several have made about "you wouldn't boo people in other walks of life" just seems to be grasping at straws.

Add me to the list of people who think it's lame to boo former Brewers who never really "wronged" the team or city. Booing Molitor was pretty stupid back in the day, but at least the majority of the crowd was giving him a standing ovation.

And the talk about booing people for everyday things reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry went to a fan's workplace and heckled him while he did his job. http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

Archived