Brewer Fanatic

Prince's "It's poor for the fans to boo us" comment (merged with "Prince blasts fans")

adambr2
I look at booing and cheering as sort of sales to the player. We are trying to sell our city to that player in exchange for a hometown discount. If we boo we are putting a poor impression in the minds of the player. They can go from "they treate me well in Milwaukee and I wouldn't mind playing out my career there" to "I am just putting in my time until I can become a free agent." Probably only one or 2 years in the grand scheme of things, but it can make the difference between a player accepting a 4 year contract and buyout of his first year of free agency instead of going to just arbitration. I doubt we would get much of a hometown discount in Fielder's case anyway, but at least there is a chance. Of course given his recent comments I would believe that our chances are going from slim to none.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really what is the point of this? anywhere you go your gonna have poeple BOOOOO at you if your not getting the job done.... Bigger crowds = more fans...its a snowball effect.

Complaining about it will not change it ...unless they like to see empty stands. But then they will cry cuz no one comes and watch them... to way street if you ask me

Why the heck does Prince care anyways no one boos him anyways.

Now if these guys could only hear what I am saying at home, watching the game, they would beat me. I am shocked my kids have not picked up a word or 2 this season.

Also have to take into mind that the playoffs were withen reach of the brewers. It makes Fans who have not seen the post season for the most part more unhappy when they see a game that is close or in the bag, get pooed away as a guy give up walks after walk ect....

You guys and these players need to get over it. its not gonna change ever and no matter where they go, if they stink they will get Booed

I've watched home teams lose in a lot of places (Heck, I went to about a dozen Giants games this year), and no, booing isn't necessarily a given.

so you are telling me that if turnbow was there for a few years and the fans saw him melt down the year before and started it all over again...plus the fact if the giants were in a heated race, he wouldnt get booed?

I've watched home teams lose in a lot of places (Heck, I went to about a dozen Giants games this year), and no, booing isn't necessarily a given.

so you are telling me that if turnbow was there for a few years and the fans saw him melt down the year before and started it all over again...plus the fact if the giants were in a heated race, he wouldnt get booed?

No, I'm saying that it's not a given. Not every fanbase acts that way, even with its struggling players.

My opinion with T-Bows comments in that article it almost seems like he's trying to make an excuse for his performance. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems that way.

If this is such an issue, why hasn't Sheets ever said anything the past X years he's been here? Why hasn't Jenkins ever said anything about that? I keep saying again and again, players on the field throw things, throw at eachother, yell at eachother etc, thats there pasion for the game to win, heck Barrett and Zambrano got in a fight. There fustrated. Fans way of dealing with it is to boo. Thats there way to deal with their fustration. They wana win just as bad as the guys on the field.

My opinion, if you can't handle boos, then you might be in the wrong career. Your mentally not stable enough. Yea it sucks, but if your not performing and your blowing leads etc, and you have really big fans that are into the game, thats what your going to get. I think it shows how strong the fanbase is in which how much they care.

I feel bad that Turnbow is getting to the point that he feels he might want to request a trade. That's ridiculous. He's pitched pretty well here and shouldn't be letting the booing of the fans let him think otherwise. It's unfortunate that he lets it get to him to this point of playing with the notion of asking out of Milwaukee. Does he *maybe* deserve to get booed when he walks in a run in a close game in a pennant race? Probably, to each his own. But every single time he throws a ball or gives up a hit? No way. I personally like having him on our pitching staff, albeit some people could manage his usage a bit better.

i don't think i've seen chipper jones booed in his entire careeer...and he's a lot less likable than prince...that's in about 75 braves home games...

really, i think immaturity is the start of the booing, hen some kind of group mentality kicks in and people follow...

i only boo marquis grissom...i suggest everyone do that...even if you see him at the mall..

Poor T-Bow. Maybe if you weren't getting paid 3.2 million dollars to throw strikes and get people out I would feel bad for you. I am so sick of these guys trying to get people to feel sorry for them when fans boo them. T-Bow was a god around here 2 years ago. The dude shouldn't be in major league baseball and get paid a major league salary if he can't handle being criticized when he can't even throw a strike. Maybe he should find a job in an office somewhere where he doesn't have to deal with that kind of pressure and could forfiet his millions of dollars for a 50,000 dollar a year job.

Poor T-Bow. Maybe if you weren't getting paid 3.2 million dollars to throw strikes and get people out I would feel bad for you.
I still have no idea why his salary matters. You would boo him the same whether he made 3.2 million or .3 million. And he isn't compaining about making too little money - which I think would be the only time his salary IS relevant.

The fact is he is human. He plays for our team. And the attitudes of Brewers fans this year are upsetting our players and thus hurting our team.

Whether or not you think you have a "right" to boo - the 100% fact is that it is having a negative effect on our players. And thus will also have a negative effect on trying to attract free agents here. (Like Milwaukee was high on their list in the first place)

The fans play a role in the success of a team. We should do our role and help any way we can.

Actually I think booing has a positive effect on our players. If they hate to get booed and know they will get booed when they do bad, they will try harder to do well so they don't get booed.

And yes, the salary does matter. When you make millions of dollars to play a game that any one of us would love to play, being scrutinized when you do bad is part of the reason you make as much money as you do. If he doesn't want to get booed, he should either work on getting better or find a job where people won't boo him.

What if you didn't perform well at your job? Would you expect the people you work for to cheer you and encourage you when you keep making the same mistakes. Lets face it, some people have higher pressured jobs then others, an most often times than not, your salary will reflect that.

This topic is really starting to get to me. What I would have liked Turnbow to say is, I understand the fans desire to win. This city has been waiting a long time to support a winner. The fans have been out in record numbers this year and I feel just as bad as every one of them. I understand their frustrations, I am not getting the job done, I need to work extra hard this off-season to make sure that I come back next year prepared for whatever role the team needs me.

Wow.

I was joking, BUT, who cares what affect it has on the players. It should come with the territory of being a professional athlete. Milwaukee fans do not boo one bad outing.....the booing occurs when mistakes aren't corrected and you keep seeing the same bad results from the same players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It used to be that if a guy gave effort and screwed up he'd be given a free pass. Now a guy has to be perfect apparently.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think anyone has to be perfect, but if you come into a game and can't throw strikes time and time again, you will get booed. I have never booed a Brewer in my life but I have no problem with people who do boo. What irks me the most is when the players whine and complain about it. The same fans who are booing T-Bow now were loving him 2 years ago. Booing is a sign of caring. It just gets old to see the same guys melt down time and time again. These guys are getting paid a lot of money to be loved and hated. If you don't want to be apart of that, then don't. Find a job where you won't be noticed.

What I would have liked Turnbow to say is, I understand the fans desire to win. This city has been waiting a long time to support a winner. The fans have been out in record numbers this year and I feel just as bad as every one of them. I understand their frustrations, I am not getting the job done, I need to work extra hard this off-season to make sure that I come back next year prepared for whatever role the team needs me.
Fair enough. You basically want Turnbow to take the high road. I wish he would have said something along those lines as well.

But why do we want/expect Turnbow to take the high road - but not hold ourselves as fans to the same expectations. Why can't we take the high road?

- How far away are Milwaukee fans from Philadelphia fans?

- Is that who we want to be?

Exactly. I am terrified of becoming anything resembling the Philly fans. While they certainly are passionate about their teams - they aren't very passionate towards them.

These guys are getting paid a lot of money to be loved and hated.
This may seem like semantics - but I disagree with that sentiment.

They are paid a lot of money because they are the best in the world at what they do. I wouldn't hate or love anyone based on how much money they make. Now you can certainly say that certain players aren't worth what they make - Say Turnbow and his 3.2 million. But that is more of an offseason/gm issue than anything I worry about during the season or once he is on my team.

But why do we want/expect Turnbow to take the high road - but not hold ourselves as fans to the same expectations. Why can't we take the high road?

What would be an example of a fan taking the high road in that situation?

When people are invested emotionally and financially in a product, I think they have a good reason to "get caught up in the moment" I'm sure no fan boos at home when they are watching the game on TV. They probably throw remotes and cuss a lot. I think a lot of has to do with the atmosphere and your surroundings. When you hear one boo, then someone else will boo, then someone else will boo. I would love to meet someone who boos on their couch at home by themself.

I mean booing a guy for having control problems? Booing Derrick Turnbow, who has had obvious control problems throughout his entire career, is somehow supposed to be "cool" or effective? I mean, I suppose I could understand booing someone for not running hard to 1st base or something, but booing a guy in a situation where he didn't get "lazy"? What are we going to do next, boo a pitcher for allowing a seeing eye single?

I don't think this has even been brought up in this thread, but were the fans even booing Turnbow the man, as much as they were booing the fact that he was left in there when he obviously didn't have it...again? If I were there, and was booing in the situation of the McClung plunking Pujols game, I would have been booing the fact that a pitching change wasn't made, not Turnbow himself.

Archived