Brewer Fanatic

Prince's "It's poor for the fans to boo us" comment (merged with "Prince blasts fans")

adambr2
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really gets me is that fans have been booing progressively more and more over the years. I don't have a stat to prove it, so I may get rushed away like a fart in the wind, but it is my opinion that fans more and more feel that it is their God-given right to boo where and wherever they feel it is appropriate. I don't have a huge opinion against that, but it wasn't always this way. Again, I have no way to prove that other than my own memory. Fans weren't booing in 1992 because the team felt short of the playoffs, even if they were playing catch-up for most of the season. Fans weren't booing the team's 12-game losing streak in 1987 which followed the team's 13-game winning streak (trust me, fans would be these days).

It's just a different age that we're living in. Athletes are held more accountable for the team's winning and losing on the field for so many different reasons (money being one of the biggest ones), so it's hard to say that Brewers fans are justified in that they have been watching losing baseball for the last 15 years, and haven't enjoyed a playoff contender in 25 years, blah blah blah. As much as the modern day athlete has changed, so has the modern day fan.

What really gets me is that fans have been booing progressively more and more over the years. I don't have a stat to prove it, so I may get rushed away like a fart in the wind, but it is my opinion that fans more and more feel that it is their God-given right to boo where and wherever they feel it is appropriate. I don't have a huge opinion against that, but it wasn't always this way. Again, I have no way to prove that other than my own memory. Fans weren't booing in 1992 because the team felt short of the playoffs, even if they were playing catch-up for most of the season. Fans weren't booing the team's 12-game losing streak in 1987 which followed the team's 13-game winning streak (trust me, fans would be these days).

It's just a different age that we're living in. Athletes are held more accountable for the team's winning and losing on the field for so many different reasons (money being one of the biggest ones), so it's hard to say that Brewers fans are justified in that they have been watching losing baseball for the last 15 years, and haven't enjoyed a playoff contender in 25 years, blah blah blah. As much as the modern day athlete has changed, so has the modern day fan.

Couldn't agree more. I've only been around 15 years in terms of Brewer games, but things have changed. I personally don't boo, however, I suppose I can see where people are coming from to a certain extent. Booing Turnbow because he gives up one run after a handful of good outings in a row, not cool. Booing Turnbow because he walked in another run on four straight pitches in a game we needed to win (but unfortunately were already behind in), somewhat reasonable, just not for me.

While that irks me a little bit, what really gets me is how it seems it's becoming customary for some fans to boo any former Brewer who comes to play with another team at Miller Park.

Boo Carlos Lee? No thanks, he was always a good guy and you can tell he's having a good time playing baseball, the money is a just a nice plus. Boo Brady Clark? No thanks again, he played the best years (using that loosely however) of his career here and gave it his all.

Sheffield? Fine, I can't really argue with that.

I have an honest question for those who feel it is wrong, inappropriate, etc. to boo.

Does cheering loudly for the team/players actually do anything either? Think about it...time after time hitters and pitchers fail when their home fans are on their feet, screaming and clapping in a big situation. In reality, good players are affected minimally by boos or cheers because they "block that out" and "focus on the task at hand."

I believe the belief that booing negatively affects the players is more of an excuse than anything.

Also, I would like an explanation as to how booing is classless as some have written here?

Colby I do not disagree. Things have been more aggressive and harsh. I will not say I agree with it. BUT. As the fans go so should the players. Sad but true. Players complaining about booing from the fans is just silly to me. They earn millions, I pay a 2 days worth of pay for good seats. I am not trying to compare but put it in perspective. They play a game and my life is not that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Please don't tell me what I should do with my time and money. Sports and the Brewers do mean a lot in the grand scheme of my life......does that make me a bad person?

My life importances

1) Friends and Family

2) Sports

When my sports teams are doing well, I am happy.....when they are not, I am not very happy.

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money. My point is only that if someone gets so undie bunching upset at the outcome of an event that is so unimportant in the grand scheme of world events (and if you can't grasp tthat then you are truly lost) then maybe that person should think about doing something more productive with their time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

the outcome of an event that is so unimportant in the grand scheme of world events (and if you can't grasp tthat then you are truly lost) then maybe that person should think about doing something more productive with their time.

You have over 6,000 posts on this site. Obviously you spend a lot of time on sports and the Brewers as well, and care about these things quite a bit.

If you're going to preach priorities at people, maybe you should spend a little less time here, and a little more time trying to assist in world diplomacy, stop global warming, find a cure for "the runs", or accomplish some other noble cause that we should consider important and productive in the grand scheme of world events.

Does cheering loudly for the team/players actually do anything either?

It's hard to say. It is an interesting question. I have given this more thought.

I went to my first Brewer game in 1976. -- I'd get to go to a number of games each year. The team got better, and the fanbase got larger. I can remember going to a series in 1980 when the Yankees came to town, in particular a game where Cooper hit 3 HRs. The fans were electric at that time, it was really something special, something Miller Park has yet to see. Did me cheering like a monkey give Cooper more intensity hit points to clobber his 3rd HR? -- Boy, I'd love to think so. All I know is that the Yankees left County, with their high-paid tails between their legs.

What is troubling to me, is that when Prince and Ned call out the fans it is nurturing a more adversarial relationship, which isn't cool. I admire Prince for sticking by Tbow -- I really do, however when a young man like him takes another step and talks about what a city/fanbase is entitled to, that could lead to problems.

I won't boo, but that probably is more of a function of how I am hard-wired. I tend to be less emotional.

...what really gets me is how it seems it's becoming customary for some fans to boo any former Brewer who comes to play with another team at Miller Park.

Boo Carlos Lee? No thanks, he was always a good guy and you can tell he's having a good time playing baseball, the money is a just a nice plus. Boo Brady Clark? No thanks again, he played the best years (using that loosely however) of his career here and gave it his all.

Could not agree more. To me this is something that really does reflect poorly on "the fans". I can not understand what folks are thinking that makes them want to boo these former players (other than Sheffield). If Cordero pitches for someone else next year will he be booed here? How about Jenkins?

That's a good point about fans booing players that have played with the Brewers recently. I too can somewhat understand booing Sheffield, but that was because of crap 15+ years ago, and it seems as though the Sheffield booing didn't start until just a few years ago. I guess time doesn't heal all wounds for some folks.

I've heard the argument about it being someone's right to boo players because they have to spend a lot of money to buy a ticket, and I don't have any way to prove that booing is classless or that cheering is helpful. I don't know, I just don't understand it, and think it is in poor taste most of the time, but I'm not trying to argue whether or not the fan has the right to boo.

I was going through some old stuff the other day and found my Brewers 1988 team yearbook (the one with the Molitor hologram on the front). I was paging through and having a good trip down memory lane, and I came across Chris Bosio's page. One of the things they asked him was "What do you like about Milwaukee?" He said (it's a paraphrase, but a pretty close one), "The fans. They stick behind you. If you have a rough stretch, they're still there. They don't boo you out of town."

Would any of our players say that today?

You have over 6,000 posts on this site. Obviously you spend a lot of time on sports and the Brewers as well, and care about these things quite a bit.

If you're going to preach priorities at people, maybe you should spend a little less time here, and a little more time trying to assist in world diplomacy, stop global warming, find a cure for "the runs", or accomplish some other noble cause that we should consider important and productive in the grand scheme of world events[/i].

Please don't do this again. Telling another poster to 'spend a little less time here and spend more time trying to do something important or productive' isn't acceptable.

My point is only that if someone gets so undie bunching upset at the outcome of an event that is so unimportant in the grand scheme of world events (and if you can't grasp tthat then you are truly lost) then maybe that person should think about doing something more productive with their time.

And homer, there were probably better ways to make your point as well.

No harm, no foul, but keep it civil, please.

Thanks!

...what really gets me is how it seems it's becoming customary for some fans to boo any former Brewer who comes to play with another team at Miller Park.

Could not agree more. To me this is something that really does reflect poorly on "the fans". I can not understand what folks are thinking that makes them want to boo these former players (other than Sheffield). If Cordero pitches for someone else next year will he be booed here? How about Jenkins?

I agree in part with this. I have, on occasion, made an exception for Jeromy Burnitz who gave up on more fly balls than the rest of our outfield put together then and since, yet hustled once he left for other teams.

And homer, there were probably better ways to make your point as well.

No harm, no foul, but keep it civil, please.

Thanks!

The night Pujols was plunked, I imagine a similar caviat accompanied the warning issued by the HP umpire to both benches after the preceding Fielder plunking. I hope this worthy thread does not get Yosted.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"And homer, there were probably better ways to make your point as well. "

Yeah, my post was at 1:45am - never drink and post!!! My bad.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What really gets me is that fans have been booing progressively more and more over the years.
So with every additional year of failure, the fans are collectively more on edge? How could anyone expect otherwise? It just seems so obvious to me that fans are being pushed closer and closer to the brink as we extend our RIDICULOUS streak of non-winning and non-playoffs year, after year, after year, after year....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

So with every additional year of failure, the fans are collectively more on edge? How could anyone expect otherwise? It just seems so obvious to me that fans are being pushed closer and closer to the brink as we extend our RIDICULOUS streak of non-winning and non-playoffs year, after year, after year, after year....

So what comes next, yelling personal insults at our players? throwing things on the field at players? Where do we draw the line at making ourselves feel good by booing our players, because to be honest, players aren't going to "try harder" to avoid being booed. It doesn't take mob of people booing to make a player realize that getting a hit is better than making an out (or vice versa if you're a pitcher).

And to earlier posters' comments, this has nothing to do with "rights". You certainly have the "right" to vocalize your displeasure by yelling something, but is the net effect positive or negative? I think it's _clearly_ negative.

Come on...the way some of you talk, baseball is still being played in the 1800s, and we should all be showing up to ball games in top hats and suits with ties.

Baseball is basically a blue collar game. People go to the park to enjoy a game along with a beer and bratwurst, or nachos, or whatever, along with their family and friends. People aren't going to be polite all the time, especially if what they're paying for isn't rewarding their enthusiasm. If people pay for the ticket, they can boo and cheer whoever they please.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Come on...the way some of you talk, baseball is still being played in the 1800s, and we should all be showing up to ball games in top hats and suits with ties.

Baseball is basically a blue collar game. People go to the park to enjoy a game along with a beer and bratwurst, or nachos, or whatever, along with their family and friends. People aren't going to be polite all the time, especially if what they're paying for isn't rewarding their enthusiasm. If people pay for the ticket, they can boo and cheer whoever they please.

I need to reiterate. I didn't say they COULDN'T boo as they please, but what good does it do?

It just seems so obvious to me that fans are being pushed closer and closer to the brink as we extend our RIDICULOUS streak of non-winning and non-playoffs year, after year, after year, after year...

Well, now they don't have to worry about that first part.

I think booing is dumb. I really do, my dad might boo, ill tell him to shut up. But I don't think it's the end of the world. Plenty of times a home team fan base has booed there team when say a late inning lead has been blown. It happens.

Prince said something once about it. Ok. I'm OK with it, not that big of a deal, but Prince does need to realize it's not a tiny little ballpark in a little tiny city and your playing minor league baseball either. Its not going to be where his second basemen Johnny Smith just came up from AA to play in AAA and he's going to go talk to his friends and family in there seats during half innings. This is Major League Baseball.

So first time I'm ok with it, now Prince says something again. I do believe his numbers have gotten to his head a little. Its one thing for him to say not to boo, but another when he tells us that its ok for NY fans and Boston fans to boo there home team. That peaves me. Then for him to basically say being realistic here, that we can't complain because we havnt' had good teams in the past while his is the best we've had in a long time. For me, a fricken player SHOULD NOT make that comment. In my opinion you alienate or you deffinaly are not going to help the fan base out there. A player can get away with one comment like he had, but for him to make a second comment, and say what he said irriates me. Simply bothers me. .. I won't go into it, but past managment wanted a new ballpark and money for it, and promised money on the field and a good team... thats a different story but nonetheless.

Players go at eachother fight on the field, managers yell at umps, players throw things on the field etc. Thats the players way of showing there fustration and there level of desire to win. For the fans, obviously can't do that on the field etc, this is the fan's way of showing there fustration, and there level of desire to win.

Like the other poster said, people go to games, have some beers, nachos, popcorn, get drunk, they wana have some enterainment, WHICH THIS IS A GAME, ENTERTAINMENT. In some people's minds there probably too drunk to know what there doing, but also they wana have some fun, and thats fun to them, this is there means of entertainment.

I figured this belonged here since it discussed booing. If it has already been posted, please move/delete/etc. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Turnbow weighs in on booing. Bringing more of the human side to the booing and seeing how it affects Turnbow may influence some opinions.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

How many times can we have this conversation here?

Yes, fans are frustrated by this year.

Yes, people can boo.

No, it ultimately does no good.

Half the team complaining about the booing at MP doesn't grow out of a vacuum. It's obviously become a problem, and personally, I find it embarassing.

Best of luck to Derrick Turnbow in his search for a major league city that won't boo him when he can't throw a strike during a close game.

I agree that the booing has gone too far in some cases recently here in Milwaukee, but pencil me in as somebody who would like to get a few more players on this team who are actually capable of handling some adversity.

Archived