Brewer Fanatic

Prince's "It's poor for the fans to boo us" comment (merged with "Prince blasts fans")

adambr2
Not sure if anyone mentioned this. I wasn't at the game and if I was I would be booing. However, my boos would not be directed at Turnbow so much as at the managerial decisions that put him in that position to begin with and then the decision to leave him out there after he loaded the bases. My guess is that a lot of fans were screaming to get him out of there.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was nice to hear blast the fans (and deservedly so) for booing Turnbow the other night.

Fielder said, "Do they really think that they are helping him? They haven't had a chance to have a winner around here for a long time, and for them to do that...you wonder why. You can deal with and expect getting booed on the road. It's fun there. But imagine bringing someone into you rhome and criticizing how you handle your kids. You'd be crushed. That's how we feel. I'd rather there be no fans in the stands and play in dead silence than booing on my own home field."

Another instance to show that Prince gets it. What a refreshing sight it has been to watch him this year. Any fan who booed Turnbow on Wednesday night should be beyond embarassed. If you want to give Milwaukee ZERO chance of retaining Prince, Braun, Weeks, Hart, Hardy, etc when they become free agents, just keep booing.

Especially Turnbow who has been unhittable at times this year, but is obviously very fragile mentally when he struggles. If there is ANYONE that could use a boost from the crowd after a bad outing, it is Turnbow.

Nice job Milwaukee. Give yourselves a big pat on the back.

I guess I'm with Prince on this one, to some extent.

What purpose does booing serve? Do fans really think that a player doesn't know when he screws up, and booing will motivate him? To me, it's just mob mentality in action. I certainly don't think a player deserves to be CHEERED when he screws up, but booing is really just a way for fans to make themselves feel better, for some reason.

Not sure if anyone read it - but Bill Simmons has an article on Booing this week.

I agree with Prince. (And Bill)

We have discussed many times on this board whether or not to boo. I never boo at a Brewers game. They are my team. They have faults. But they will always be my team.

And since Prince has brought this up several times now this year, I am pretty sure the team is upset about the booing as well.

I totally understand what he's saying and that same article said Turnbow was seen consoling his crying wife well after the game. I was as frustrated as anyone with him, but sooner or later people have to realize that the "their getting paid millions of dollars to do their job, ipay their salaries i can boo who i want" argument just doesn't hold up. get over yourselves. It is in fact just a game and entertainment, and to hear about a player having to console his wife after the game is very sad to hear and will make me think twice next time i want to boo a player. sorry Turnbow, i know you're giving it your best

I can definitely see where Bill Simmons is coming from with his 4 reasons to boo your own team. Although, if you do agree with him, there is still opinion involved with #2. At the highest level of sports, what is an indefensible mistake.

Walking a sub-.200 hitter with the bases loaded, down by a run, in a pennant race, on 4 pitches (none of them even close). To me, at the Major League level, that is an indefensible mistake.

For the record, I do believe Turnbow should still be with the team. However, he can only be used in very specific circumstances (eg. starting an inning, back-to-back days only if someone else is up in the pen just in case, etc.)

I'm guessing alot of the people who booed last night don't know Turnbow's season on the whole. He's better pretty darn good at times, when like said many times when he's off, he's most definitely off.

However, walking in a run on four straight pitches is probably boo-able. I wouldn't, but if others wanted to, I can see where they are coming from.

I like Prince, but come on isn't this like the second or third time he has complained about us booing poor performance? It's not like this is the first time Turnbow has done this. If it was, I doubt we would boo. It's something that has happend far to often, that is why we boo Prince. We don't boo you because you don't mess up over and over again. Im sorry we hurt little Derrick's feelings. Maybe that will make him throw some strikes next time.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I guess I'm with Prince on this one, to some extent.

What purpose does booing serve? Do fans really think that a player doesn't know when he screws up, and booing will motivate him? To me, it's just mob mentality in action. I certainly don't think a player deserves to be CHEERED when he screws up, but booing is really just a way for fans to make themselves feel better, for some reason.

Brian, I think I would counter this by saying that it's not exactly a conscious decision, just an emotional reaction. It's not like I sit there for 10 seconds like Rodin's "The Thinker" and say "hmm, how do I feel about this? Should I boo? Or would that be mean?"

So to answer your question, no, we don't think that a player doesn't know when he screws up. The player's feelings aren't the first thing that comes to mind after a run gets walked in on 4 straight balls (that weren't even close) in a pennant race.

I guess, to me, booing is never a conscious reaction. Maybe a loud groan, but putting your hands in a cylindrical shape over your mouth and yelling BooOOOoOOOooOO takes multiple steps.

"I'd rather there be no fans in the stands and play in dead silence than booing on my own home field."

I've never booed anyone at Miller Park, but this comment really bothers me. I doubt I'll be in the mood to cheer Fielder next time I make a trip to Milwaukee.

It's nice that Fielder wants to protect his teammates, but he's going to learn that fans don't tolerate performances like the kind Turnbow has all too frequently turned in the past year and a half.

The fan pays their salaries and has every right to express displeasure in a professional's performance.

If you're so fragile that you can't perform because you get booed, then go do something else. You don't have what it takes. It comes with the job and the huge salary.

I think turnbow is probually a great guy but...yeah anyways, What are the fans to do? Like i said and few others, you just walked in a run on 4 pitches. gut reaction makes you mad. Good thing the players cant hear me at home I would totally shatter them with what I say at the TV sometimes.

Also, being in a race ect does not help matters either.... as a fan watching it slip away just twist the knife even more.

THis team is a winner? so I guess that fans are supposed to be happy with avg prince? thanks man.

Seen this stuff from turnbow to many times prince bud, but ummm Next time he walks in a batter I will stand up and cheer and say " its okay buddy! I dont wanna hurt your feelings"

uggggg this thread got me mad again http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/mad.gif

It's nice that Fielder wants to protect his teammates, but he's going to learn that fans don't tolerate performances like the kind Turnbow has all too frequently turned in the past year and a half.

The fan pays their salaries and has every right to express displeasure in a professional's performance.

If you're so fragile that you can't perform because you get booed, then go do something else. You don't have what it takes. It comes with the job and the huge salary.

Yep thats the bottom line. I guess not having 35+ K fans cheering you on or booing in the minors does not help this

I think turnbow is probually a great guy but...yeah anyways, What are the fans to do? Like i said and few others, you just walked in a run on 4 pitches. gut reaction makes you mad. Good thing the players cant hear me at home I would totally shatter them with what I say at the TV sometimes.
What are the fans to do? If someone gives you a bad performance, gripe to the fan next to you. Personally, I groan and roll my eyes.

I would hate for Milwaukee to turn into Philadelphia.

part of the problem for me is that tons of fans hate turnow for no reason. well not no reason, but they think he's horrible and blows every game when that certainly is not the case. then when he comes in a game and throws a couple bad pitches, gets up 3-0, or walks the first guy, the boos start immediately. its like the fans expect him to be perfect and if he isn't right away, boo. what do these fans think they're accomplishing anyways? they are the one's acting like whiny brats saying, "oh they didn't do exactly what i wanted and i 'pay' their salaries, i can boo them if i want to". it does nothing but obviously upset the team, and take away any advantage we may have at home. i'm glad that showing their displeasure is so much more important. no one ****** cares.

on top of that, this is something that has obviously bothered the team for a large portion of the season. in the number of games i've gone to this year, the booing starts way too early, at any sign of not-perfect play. it disgusts me.

Community Moderator

Sure, we have the right to boo.

But the consequence is that it will upset the home players, and make them less likely to want to stay here. That's just the way it is.

Milwaukee fans have a history of excessive booing. Booing Wes Helms on opening day in 2005 was ridiculous. Booing every single player that returns...booing Turnbow who has saved us way more losses than he cost us this year...booing Cordero for blowing saves.

Jenkins will get mostly cheers when he returns. But there will be boos as well.

Boo if you want. But don't complain when players don't want to play for Milwaukee. Our city has a bad enough reputation as it is.

I would much rather NOT boo any of the Brewers. But when you have constant repeat crappy performances, its frustrating and the best way to let out frustration is to boo the hell out of that player. It's just part of being a FANatic. I love Prince, but I just can't agree with most of his comments on this issue. I see his point, but I don't agree with much of it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I will agree that in many cases this season, the booing starts too early and at inappropriate times. I believe this is because there are a lot more casual fans at the games this season because of the team's success. Therefore, some fans are more reactionary and don't understand that baseball is a difficult game.

With that said, Turnbow still deserved to be booed for his performance.

I will agree that in many cases this season, the booing starts too early and at inappropriate times. I believe this is because there are a lot more casual fans at the games this season because of the team's success. Therefore, some fans are more reactionary and don't understand that baseball is a difficult game.

With that said, Turnbow still deserved to be booed for his performance.

I agree that goes hand in hand with people that are there here and there and do not really follow the team as much as some. I think the Boos come from frustration as fans think "here we go again"

What are the fans to do? If someone gives you a bad performance, gripe to the fan next to you. Personally, I groan and roll my eyes.

I would hate for Milwaukee to turn into Philadelphia.

I am not sure how he was received last night, but Brady Clark was booed pretty well on opening day.

How the heck can you boo Brady Clark? He did everything the Brewers asked of him. He hustled his butt off. He was traded away because we had too many outfielders. He did nothing wrong. And we boo him?

I feel the same way about Carlos Lee. I know some have argued he left the team on his own choice, but seeing what we offered compared to what he got, who wouldn't have left the team? But Carlos seems to enjoy the booing...I don't think anything can wipe the smile off of his face.

Archived