Brewer Fanatic

Prince's "It's poor for the fans to boo us" comment (merged with "Prince blasts fans")

adambr2
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is a fan's right to boo. I don't really think it's that big of a deal in general. If the team wins, nobody boos. Now I'm not going to get mad if the home fans boo the home team, but it's their choice. Maybe they're a die hard fan or a bandwagon fan. Let's face it...some of use have never seen a Brewers winning season (at least in adulthood). Some are getting nervous that we'll tank, etc. You may think it lacks class, but what can you do about it? I think the Brewers fans as a whole are great and booing is a part of every sport. Let's face it...no playoffs since 1982 is a tough pill to swallow and puts pressure on players and the fans want to see it end.

I think Milwaukee fans should think to the near future and the decisions of the young stars whether to stay in Milwaukee or play elsewhere when deciding whether to exercise their 1st amendment right to boo. Milwaukee can't compete for top dollar or exciting nightlife with many cities but it should be able to compete on the basis of positive and supportive fans. If the fans are going to be as fickle, front-running and self indulgent as the biggest city fans why should Milwaukee get a home town discount? Prince doesn't get booed personally but the booing apparently brings him down anyway. The Milwaukee Braves fans of the fifties were famously supportive.

When you're at a game why not direct what little impact you have on the game in the direction of winning it instead of losing it?

I think Milwaukee fans should think to the near future and the decisions of the young stars whether to stay in Milwaukee or play elsewhere when deciding whether to exercise their 1st amendment right to boo. Milwaukee can't compete for top dollar or exciting nightlife with many cities but it should be able to compete on the basis of positive and supportive fans. If the fans are going to be as fickle, front-running and self indulgent as the biggest city fans why should Milwaukee get a home town discount? Prince doesn't get booed personally but the booing apparently brings him down anyway. The Milwaukee Braves fans of the fifties were famously supportive.
When you're at a game why not direct what little impact you have on the game in the direction of winning it instead of losing it?

I agree completely. Exactly the point I was trying to make although I couldn't express it as well.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I don't think the current players should be held accountalbe for the last 25 years of missing the playoffs and 15 years of losing. Most have only been with Brewers for a few short years and have been winners in the minors.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

First of all, I don't think I have booed more than a handful of times in my life. It is really childish if you think about it.

I will yell (really to myself and friends) more than anything when there is a lack of effort or if something makes no strategical sense. I have no problem airing my opinion but I think that booing is borderline barbaric.

I think it's kinda lousy to boo your own team unless someone does something remarkably bad or stupid. But I'll admit, I get caught up in the groupthink while I'm at Miller Park. I booed the heck out of Matt Wise and CoCo on Sunday. But when I think back on it it's kinda lame.

I understand people who boo us. It's like going to Broadway show, you pay for your tickets and expect to be entertained. When you're not, you have a right to complain.

Sparky Anderson

Gee, you "baseball purists" as I'm sure you guys like to describe yourself sure cry alot and come off as extremely condescending. If you want fans that don't boo, then you'll have fans that aren't into the game and just sit on their hands the whole time. It shouldn't hurt the teams play and if it does I suggest they toughen up and give them a reason to cheer or go play in Florida or something.

• 1 month later...
I guess I'm with Prince on this one, to some extent.

What purpose does booing serve? Do fans really think that a player doesn't know when he screws up, and booing will motivate him? To me, it's just mob mentality in action. I certainly don't think a player deserves to be CHEERED when he screws up, but booing is really just a way for fans to make themselves feel better, for some reason.

Brian, I think I would counter this by saying that it's not exactly a conscious decision, just an emotional reaction. It's not like I sit there for 10 seconds like Rodin's "The Thinker" and say "hmm, how do I feel about this? Should I boo? Or would that be mean?"

So to answer your question, no, we don't think that a player doesn't know when he screws up. The player's feelings aren't the first thing that comes to mind after a run gets walked in on 4 straight balls (that weren't even close) in a pennant race.

Give me $20 and I'll let you follow me around all day booing me, what do I care. For a big tough guy he sure does cry a lot about fans being unsupportive. Almost 3 million fans came to Miller Park to cheer on a team that hasn't proven anything yet. But we're supposed to be content when our set up man can't throw strikes. He walked in a run with the bases loaded in a critical game in the middle of a pennant race and we're supposed to pat him on the back for fear of hurting his fragile ego?

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but this reminds me of this " "Leve Turnbow Alone"

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I was at the game. When the count went 3-0 and everyone started to boo like crazy, I was yelling at fans to shut up because I knew there was no chance of anything but a walk with all of that added pressure. Stupid move by the fans to boo like that. Boo after the walk, not during a 3-0 count in that situation.

I personally feel bad for Turnbow since he is really scuffling out there. I agree that booing doesnt help the situation but in this situation the booing is more towards the coaches for leaving him in there when it was obvious that he needed to be removed from the game. The booing was for Ned and not Turnbow.

From the Chicago Sun Times

Prince is a piece of work

"The fans were thrilled again Tuesday, screaming after both of Fielder's homers until he popped back out of the dugout to tip his cap. But despite the Brewers' first real pennant race since forever, these fans have been booing. Milwaukee is just 33-42 since July 3.

''They can do what they want because they paid for the tickets, but in my opinion, fans have to earn the right to boo,'' Fielder said. ''[With] the Yankees and Red Sox, they've had winning teams, so they sat through the bad times and the good times.

''Here, they've never had too many good teams to earn the right to boo. We're the best team they've had in a while.''

Earn the right to boo? God, I love this guy."

That might be the single stupidest thing I have ever read. We need to earn the right to boo? By sitting through "the bad times and the good times" like Yankee fans have? Supporting the team for 30 years with only a small child's handful of winning seasons isn't enough to earn me a right to boo (IF I were so inclined)? Someone please defend this statement from Prince.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Maybe that will make him throw some strikes next time.

I think Prince's point is precisely that it will *not* make him throw some strikes next time. Booing your own team accomplishes absolutely nothing except for taking away some of the home field advantage and pretty much being a jerk. There is a much better chance that booing will negatively affect one's ability to throw strikes as opposed to making "him throw some strikes next time"

Archived