Brewer Fanatic

Prince's "It's poor for the fans to boo us" comment (merged with "Prince blasts fans")

adambr2

Did anyone catch the post-game interview Saturday night after the Brewers big come from behind win? Prince was asked about the crowd support factor and Prince didn't say much about it other than to comment something along the lines of, "I hope they can stop booing us, because that's pretty poor".

I was a little taken aback by this. The Brewers have been drawing huge, unprecedented crowds in support of this team. And the only comment we get about it, is that we're poor for booing?

I'm not going to hold too much against Prince, he's been our stud, no question, don't know what we'd do without him. And I don't think he owes us anything, but sheesh, at least have a little courtesy to the ones who financially support the franchise with overpriced consessions, tickets, parking, TV sales, etc. I don't drive 3 hours to a game to spend a lot of money to hear that I'm "poor" because I booed the fact that my team couldn't hold down a 5 run lead in the 9th inning.

I don't even boo individual Brewers, not Mench, not Weeks, didn't boo Helms when he was here. But if the team itself puts together a completely embarrassing inning, yeah, I think they deserve to hear it. We were promised a good team years ago for our support and if the product on the field isn't reflecting that, you better believe it will be made known.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Prince for the most part. It's one thing to boo an awful inning, that's totally called for, even though I don't personally do it I can see why some do. But I think what he's talking about is when fans boo because a guy strikes out to make the second out of an inning, or something minor like that. Or when a pitcher walks a guy with a 4 run lead, boos a fielder for an error, etc. This stuff happens all the time - along with silly things like booing the opposing pitcher for stepping off the rubber or throwing over to first base. I think it's disrespectful to the players, whether you paid 30 bucks or not doesn't give you license to disrespect players who are making an honest effort to win a baseball game.

I guess those things come with the territory when you have a lot of fairweather fans who don't go to many games now making up the majority of the crowd.

There is no reason to boo the team in my opinion. I don't care if they stunk it up and blew the win tonight if I were at the game I wouldn't be booing them either. Supporting the team means backing them through the good and the bad, not cheering them during the good and turning on them during the bad.

I have been going to roughly 60 games a year for some time now, and today was by far the worst experience I have had at MP. Section 121, with the exception of the Doorman, was extremely fickle, it was almost disgusting to even have to listen to. Some guy was reading the newspaper through the later part of the game, then starts screaming at Ned when Wise came in with a 5 run lead. Then Some other gentleman about lost it in the 9th to the point where he had a verbal encounter with another long time fan. Now I was in 120 taking all this in, and was absolutely disappointed to wear the same colors as some people who are attending games. I think people need to keep in mind just that, it's a game. I used to enjoy going, and now I find myself choosing to do otherwise.

Totally agree with Prince. Booing is weak. Can't expect players to acknowledge cheers when they remember being booed the game before.

Win or lose the fans and the team are in it together. They may play bad buts its not like they aren't trying to win.

Booing happens in every major league ballpark, always has, always will. There are no completely righteous fans of any team that don't do it. We're not like Mets fans, and won't be, but people still boo at Miller Park just like they do in 29 other stadiums.

Booing doesn't mean we don't support the team. I do support the team, but I don't really understand why some feel so loyal that they restrain from booing to show their frustrations. The players certainly don't care about me on a personal level, nor would I expect them to, so I'm not seeing why it should be the other way around.

From a purely economic/business standpoint, in MLB, the fans are the "customers", the one supporting the business with their money, and just like with any business, have a right to let it be known that they are disappointed if they aren't happy with the product that they're paying for. Obviously, baseball is a little more intricate than that, but the point remains the same.

I think acting like New York fans is a good way to make players not want to play here.

Then why do all the good players ultimately end up in NY?

I think deep down Prince was cursing the hell out of our pitching today. He'll never admit it, but how could you not be ticked.

From a purely economic/business standpoint, in MLB, the fans are the "customers", the one supporting the business with their money, and just like with any business, have a right to let it be known that they are disappointed if they aren't happy with the product that they're paying for.

If you're disappointed with the product, then quit supporting it with your dollars. That actually accomplishes something, unlike booing.

Its fine to be upset, I'm mad as heck that we lost today too. I just think booing your own team shows a lack of class. Others will disagree and thats fine, its just how I feel. I agree with Prince on this one.

Booing definitely has it's place in MLB. After a loss like this one, Brewers fan had every right to boo, if for no other reason, just to let the players know that this type of play is not acceptable.

Booing definitely has it's place in MLB. After a loss like this one, Brewers fan had every right to boo, if for no other reason, just to let the players know that this type of play is not acceptable.

I'm pretty sure they knew that without the fans booing them.

The Brewers have been drawing huge, unprecedented crowds in support of this team. And the only comment we get about it, is that we're poor for booing?

To be fair, a number of the Brewers, especially Jenks, have commented on the crowds this year and how great it is.

Like I said the Fans pay there money and should be allowed to express their Frustration as much as the Excitement.

I am sorry but after blowing these big leads the fans have every right.

Nobody said they don't have the right, what people are suggesting is they show a little class and respect for the team they are fans of and not boo. Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't always mean you should do it. I support Fielder 100% in his wishes.

For a guy not giving it his all, I can see the point of booing. But if a player's performance just isn't good, I don't see the point in booing. What's the point of booing Moeller, for instance? All it would accomplish to to serve my own desire to vent frustrations.

Every time you boo your own team, you eat away a small chunk of the home field advantage. As a fan of the Brewers, why would I want to do that?

I think showing up in the numbers that the Fans have that demonstrates something right there. I went to a game a couple weeks ago with my parents. We had this women, heckling us almost the entire game because we didn't stand up and cheer in the 5th, 6th, 7th etc innings. We stood up in the 9th but that was rather irriatating. Thats a little off-base from the subject, but still is about fans.

As far as Prince's comment. Like I said, showing up in the masses that the fans have shows something right there. I don't think fans should boo when say for example Hardy misplays a ball, or he strikes out etc etc. It's baseball, no one is perfect. If everyone hit every ball they were suppose to, or make that pitch everytime they were suppose too, what kind of game would that be? Though, when the bullpen comes in to a game or whatever be the situation, if they blow a 5 run lead in the 9th and they lose, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I really don't. Fans have pasion for the game too just like the players on the field. Thats there way of showing there passion in essence. While the guys on the field throw there bats at the wall, or slam the gatorade to the ground in fustration, fans care about there team, and this is there way of showing there passion and fustration.

Archived