Brewer Fanatic

Script for success for Colorado series?

NYChez
I'm having a hard time coming up with a realistic one. The bullpen is completely shot. Their confidence is probably shot. We'll probably score some runs, but besides Vargas and Capuano pitching complete games (where it's much more likely that they'll struggle to get to the 6th), I just can't see how they're going to avoid a couple of lopsided losses.

You've basically made the same point in 2 threads now, but since you weren't blunt about the negatives, this will probaly fly under the radar. Interestingly both threads predominantly mention the bullpen situation we find ourselves in.

If you want to play passive-aggressive games, then I suggest you take a break.

He is correct, he made two posts with exactly the same focus within a few minutes of each other, I was a bit confused by it as well.

I think the bullpen will be ok other than the fact they seem to stink now. If all else fails he can use Bush in a short relief stint and start Parra in Bush's spot. I'd hold Linebrink as the closer for tomorrows game. Spurling can go the 8th. I'm sure Shouse can pitch an inning still. The one possible bad thing is we might be stuck throwing Wise out there for an inning and making him sink or swim. We do have off Thursday and then again on Monday so its really just tomorrow that is worrisome.

An extra day off might not hurt right now. If there is a rainout on Monday night (30% chance of T-storms in the latest Denver forecast I saw), when would a makeup be scheduled? I'm guessing it wouldn't be in the next two days (which would defeat the potential short-term positive value of the rain-out) , but you never know.

This team desperately needs the starters to pitch more than 5 or 6 innings. We cant constantly have the bullpen pitching 4 innings per night. Suppan was finally pitching well yet he had to be taken out in the sixth innings. The only guy who seems able to go more than 6 is Gallardo and he cant because of his innings limit. This is where the loss of Sheets hurts the most. He can go 7 or 8 innings while the rest of the rotation cant go more than 6. If this team is going to win the division the bullpen needs to be pitching less innings.

Just do what they did coming out of the All-Star Break in the series against the Rockies. If they get a few 6-7 inning starts and the bullpen doesn't completely implode, I think they've got a shot to take two of three. Of course, lately that's been a pretty big "if," but I think getting a 1-run win on the road would do wonders for the bullpen's confidence. Call me crazy, I guess. The Rox are a pretty good team, so a road series in Colorado won't be easy (especially considering some of the bad outings they've had there in years past -- remember Sheets getting lit up for like 10 ER's a couple years ago?), but it's certainly not impossible. I just don't like that the Cubs get to beat up on Houston while the Brewers are playing a wildcard-caliber team, just like in that first series after the Break, but at least the two teams trade places after this series.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It's baseball. Never know what is going to happen. Case in point, this season. Winning tonight would make lots feel better. See what shakes I guess. Little off-topic, but still being in first is not a bad thing.

As far as how to win, well if the 'Crew is plays sound baseball...that would sure help.

Can't say I get the negativity. Admittedly, they lost a game they shouldn't have on Sunday (I was there). OTOH, they won a game they probably shouldn't have on Saturday, and did just take a series from another team in the Wild Card hunt.

Granted, they're going on the road, and the bullpen could use a day off....but this is a winnable series in Colorado. It's going to take Jenkins &/or Hall joining Braun & Fielder as run-producers. Likewise, the pitchers will have to keep the ball down, and let the starters go 6+ to help the pen. The bullpen fatigue is exactly why we're carrying so many relievers, and why they went after Linebrink (who looked superb yesterday).

Can't say I get the negativity.

Has nothing to do with yesterday. It has everything to do with the fact this team hasn't shown it can win on the road all year. I don't expect that trend to just stop. I mean, I hope it does. But I don't seriously think it will.

Once this team learns how to win on the road, look out.

Has nothing to do with yesterday. It has everything to do with the fact this team hasn't shown it can win on the road all year. I don't expect that trend to just stop. I mean, I hope it does. But I don't seriously think it will.

I guess I don't see how they can "learn how to win" on the road. I won't deny that it's been the trend, but really you play the same game whether you're on the road or at home, except for some managerial differences in the latter innings depending on if you're leading/behind/tied.

Hitters to just rake the ball from the start of the game so there is a lot fo runs for the pitchers to play with. Pitchers are usually not the reason for success at Coors. More runs we score the more less we have to tax a bullpen that will be thinned out for the next series also.

I guess I don't see how they can "learn how to win" on the road. I won't deny that it's been the trend, but really you play the same game whether you're on the road or at home, except for some managerial differences in the latter innings depending on if you're leading/behind/tied.

The bases are 90 feet away and the mound is about 60 feet, true. But that's only part of the game.

For whatever reason these guys, mainly young guys, haven't figured out how prepare for a game outside of their comfort zone: home. They likely don't have good routines and haven't adapted to the challenges travel and stresses that new environments put on you.

Whatever it is, the proof is in the pudding. These guys don't play the same at home and on the road. Their approach to the game is different and their preparation is likely different. This is something a young team will have to overcome and comes with experience.

Obviously they've traveled with Minor League teams, etc, but it's different at this level because the margin of error is so small. On lower levels, these guys could bring a lesser performance and still get away with it. At this level, losing anything because of poor preparation will result in almost certain road failure.

It's this way in any sport I've seen usually. Young teams very often have difficulty on the road due to the mental aspect being vastly different.

I know people like to joke about not letting Yost manage, etc...but can we get off the Yost bashing for a little bit? There's a lot of reasons the Brewers have been losing lately, and none of them are Ned Yost. The batters have to hit, and the pitchers have to make pitches when they need to.

Last night's loss had nothing to do with Yost, and neither have most of the games this year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived