Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Starting Pitchers still left....?

Healthy pitchers...

Jeffress

Periard

Seidel

Anundsen

Bryson

Tyson

DL pitchers with potential

Rogers

Braddock

There's quite a bit of pitching depth the only problem as it stands now is that it's all at A ball or lower. In 2 years when everyone is at AA and A+ it will look quite a bit better. If Rogers makes it back and is healthy he'll start at A+ I would think, maybe AA, but if he doesn't reign his control it's hard to be excited about him, especially since he'll lose a couple of MPH off like all pitchers who've had shoulder surgery. I'd throw both Rogers and Braddock into my "intrigued by" catagory, where as I'm "excited" about Jeffress, Periard, Bryson, Tyson...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Bryson appears to be absolutely dominating rookie ball, i'd love to see him get promoted to WV soon. Tyson too. I actually wouldnt mind seeing both those guys come up strictly as relievers. It would be nice to develop some true relievers internally (I dont count Parra and Villanueva as relievers)

There's quite a bit of pitching depth the only problem as it stands now is that it's all at A ball or lower. In 2 years when everyone is at AA and A+ it will look quite a bit better.

That is what it was like 2 years ago -- from our Power 50 we had as SP: Dillard, Jones, Villanueva, Inman, Parra, Rogers, Gallardo, Hendrickson, Eveland, Taubenheim, Garrison, Mercedes among the top 30-35 prospects. Li'l Ben toiled in AAA (like Jackson is doing now). Eveland came up for a cup of coffee after spending most of the year in AA (like Parra), and Jones was on the shelf (like Rogers) while Parra ended the year on the shelf. The rest started the year in A league or lower ('though Villy & Taubenheim got promoted to AA).

This year we have Gallardo & Parra in the bigs, Jackson toiling away, and Rogers & Braddock on the DL. Inman and Garrison just got traded. in AA there are Hammond and Miller (our next Taubenheims?). The rest (Jeffress, Seidel, Robinson, Bryson, Periard, Anundson) are low-A or Rookie league.

So we are in a very similar position as 2 years ago. Now will the same fortunes hold again (Jefferss as the next Gallardo, Robinson/Bryson as the next Inman, Rogers/Braddock recovering and being the next Parra) is doubtful, but out pitching is not that different than in past years. In fact most pitching prospects are in the lower rungs, and those who pan out will advance quickly (AA->AAA->MLB) and those who don't are moved to the pen or toil away.

Any young pitchers on the horizon? I know most are somewhere on the A level. It'd be nice to be able to see a young starting pitcher in Nashville (I moved here right when Parra got called up so I missed him and Yo). I don't mind Dickey, Pettyjohn, & Co., but it'd be cool to see some young talent.

Archived