Brewer Fanatic

I miss County Stadium.

razzzorsharp

Going to the games this year and has been very fun and energetic but I have seen a couple things that make me remember how much fun I used to have at Country Stadium. Now bear in mind I realize that with winning and a nicer park we get more revenue and that is a great thing but it has taken some of the things away that I used to really enjoy when going to a baseball game. Given the choice I would chose what we have right now, with the winning and the crowds but I just wanted to point out a couple things I have noticed.

1) Non-Baseball Fans: Now I realize that they were there at County, a lot on opening day at least, but at last nights game we had the wave going in a one run game, people getting food/drinks in the middle of an important series of events, and drunks getting drunk and spilling beer on us without an apology. Also, if the woman who had her hand up her boyfriend/husbands shorts is here at BF.net, just a reminder there were children in the row behind with befuddled looks as to why your hand was gyrating.

2) Giveaways: I love bobble heads as much as the next guy but I really hate the fact that bobble heads have brought so many ebayers to the park. A game ago I had a family of four sitting next to me with a duffle bag full of bobble heads from the Bernie's Terrace tickets they bought out. That wasn't enough though, as they sent there 7-8 year old daughter out for innings at a time to ask total strangers for their bobble heads under the false pretenses of hers being stolen. Stay classy Milwaukee.

3) Ushers: I realize that your pay more than likely remains the same and the job description has become tougher since the old days, but that is no reason to be total jerks. The amount of times that I get yelled at reminds me of my school years. Whether it's being told to find my seats quicker before the game, sit down so others can watch the game behind me (It was a rally!), or that I shouldn't be upset when the Brewers lose because they "suck" according to him, if I am to be scolded it better be by my mother.

4) Seating: This is a minor issue and is nobody's fault but I remember April nights were my group and I had our own bleacher section. We could spread out and stretch and have a good time with out the fear of getting up and losing my seat. Now you might ask, how does one go about losing their seat when I have a ticket that gives me the right to that seat? Well, I learned a long time ago that I am a wuss and if someone is sitting in my seat I have two options. The first, is ask them to move and risk getting yelled at for wanting to sit in my seat when there are plenty others available (which there isn't anymore). The second option is to suck is up and migrate towards an open seat somewhere else, living the life of a nomad. Clearly, I choose the second option. Also, "30 year-old guy with a glove that watches BP", please don't jump on me to get a ball. My bloody knee doesn't appreciate it.

And there it is, this might be venting thread material and if it is move it at your leisure. I thought others might want to share in my fond memories of yesteryears.

(consolidated tags --1992)

County Stadium was a crappy stadium that wasn't drawing people to the ball park. I like having a world class facility to see baseball. I don't miss County Stadium one bit, but maybe that's because I'm only 23 years old and didn't get to see many Brewer wins there.

I disagree on the first part. Yes, the bulding was run down but ths site lines at that place were fantastic. There are too many seats at Miller Park that have site issues.

Sounds like there's more of a problem with people who are just starting to show up at MP now that the Brewers are winning than with MP itself. Those kinds of people would show up in the middle of a playoff race, regardless of where the Brewers were playing their games, IMO.

I like Miller Park better than County Stadium, but there are some things that I don't like about MP, too -- I don't like how the place looks like a garage when the panels and roof are closed, but that's a minor gripe.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

1) The ushers need to curtail bad fans. A 1-2 count is not the time for an entire family of four to get up to get more food. And chanting "you suck" to a ballplayer is getting old. If you don't even know how to pronounce his name, you shouldn't be heckling him the whole game. If he makes an error or can actually use his personal life to make it funny (Dukes is just asking for this) then it's almost tollerable to listen to.

2) I can't trade my tickets for giveaway days. Well, I wouldn't want to if your giveaway days were during the week, but they are always the Friday, Saturday, Sunday that my entire family can actually attend without missing sleep.

3) Since you aren't curbing #1, why is the stick still up your butt? Yesterday someone was sitting in his 20-game seat next to me. Another group was sold the same seats online via Brewers dot com. The usher decided that standing in the row along with the four people in question during the first inning was the best way to solve it. When my mom mentioned that he should probably do that in the aisle he gave her a dirty look and told her he was doing the best he could.

4) I have first row bleacher seats. I try to get to the game a little over an hour early. Yet there are always tons of people all over my seat and they get real pushy when a ball comes in our direction and lands 30 ft short of the wall. Then I get to hear "Hey mister, throw it here!" being shouted by 30 people. If you don't know his name, he probably won't throw it to you. And go to your own seat and get a ball. I don't come and shove you out of the way when foul balls come your way.

I totally blame The Keg for all of these.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The only thing I miss about County Stadium are the bleachers. Other than that, there is absolutely NOTHING that I miss about County Stadium. The ballpark was a worthless dump, and it was an embarrassment for this community.

It's gonna rain tonight, and I am thankful we have a roof now. I have tickets, and it will be nice to keep dry.

Second the missing of the County Stadium bleachers. Only place where you could literally kick back and take in a game with buddies. There was also dynamite access to the opposing team's bullpen. I'm pretty sure my crew won about 2-4 games a year in the late 90's for The Crew through our unending harassment of the opposing team's relievers. I know I'm on Billy Wagner's hit list for sure.

Having started going to games at County when it was only 4 years old, it was a magical place as a kid. But like all things it became obsolete, especially with the lack of maintenance starting in the '90s. The best things were the prices(I realize they had to change) and the sight lines as long as you weren't behind a post and the green, green grass. I also liked that County was more of a pitcher's park, especially for HRs.

MP has its warts. Sat in the RF Loge outfield last month for the first time last month. Couldn't see what happened with 4 balls hit as much as 20' from the line. That's pathetic for a new park. Won't be sitting there any more. Don't like when it becomes an oven or sweat box either.

I shouldn't be upset when the Brewers lose because they "suck" according to him

Seriously, an usher told you this? I'll bet the front office would love to know they've got employees telling customers that. C'mon back, folks!

I'm in the camp that misses County Stadium too. My grandparents and mom used to go, and after my grandfather died we realized his seats were in the same section as our partial-season tickets. Miller Park is gradually growing on me, but I guess wherever the Brewers call home will always be important to me.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

County Stadium was such a classic. Very biased, its my all-time favorite stadium. I think my favorite moment was the 1992 season, the oakland a's series. There was almost 58k ppl in there on the last home date.

I can never get used to MP. Now that I'm in phoenix and the local ballpark is a similar design, i find myself resenting the diamondbacks.

The thing I miss most about County Stadium is the grass. As a kid, it was the greenest grass I had ever seen. The grass at Miller Park cannot hold a candle to the grass at County Stadium.

I also miss the scoreboard at County Stadium. http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

Back to the original topic, I don't know how many times people got up right in front of me on key plays last night. It happened at least 3 times. Then there was the guy who had to stand up and do the slow clap on EVERY 3-2 count trying to get the crowd behind him. The same guy tried to get the wave started at least twice, all when the Brewers were in the lead and batting.

I shouldn't be upset when the Brewers lose because they "suck" according to him

Seriously, an usher told you this? I'll bet the front office would love to know they've got employees telling customers that. C'mon back, folks!

I'm in the camp that misses County Stadium too. My grandparents and mom used to go, and after my grandfather died we realized his seats were in the same section as our partial-season tickets. Miller Park is gradually growing on me, but I guess wherever the Brewers call home will always be important to me.

Yep, older guy in the terrace level. Not that that really helps.

Things I miss:

- The smell. Hard to describe other than 'musty', but that distinct odor let me know that yes, I was at a Brewers game.

- Sitting in the first few rows of the upper boxes. I'm not even sure if actual distances support this, but I felt 'close' to the action.

- And along those lines, the two-tier design

Things I don't miss:

- The bathrooms

- Getting spat on from the catwalks while sitting in the lower grandstand.

- The upper deck support beams

While I'm glad we have Miller Park, I'd love to experience CS just one more time..

That's a great post, Razzzor. . .

Maybe I've just grown more and more crotchety in recent years but I suspect that I would have handled the situation(s) as follows:

To the couple who were engaged in a moment of passion, I would have immediately called upon the Sheriff's department or whoever (not ushers) is in charge of policing the park. I can't imagine that they would blow something like that off. Whenever there are adults behaving badly around children, my raging parent mechanism kicks in, and I do all I can to spoil the party.

To the wisemouthed usher, I would call the stadium office on Monday with a complaint about his conduct. Honestly, the only way that terrible employees (really of ANY company) will be taken to task is if they're called on it. Whether anything becomes of it or not, that's not up to you. But if you don't complain, then its going to burn you whenever you see him.

To the guy who is occupying your seat (during BP or not), I'd call the usher for help on that one. I'm always, ALWAYS mindful of my rights when it comes to what I've paid for, and I expect to sit where my ticket says. I'll move only if I'm the one feeling benevolent, AND if the other seat is comparable--never because I'm intimidated by some meathead. You may get some flak, but I've found that people who expect squatter's rights to a seat have usually represented themselves to be jerks to the rest of your section, and the other ticket holders are all too happy to see the chumps removed when you and an usher show up.

As for the other stuff about inappropriate standing, or booing, or "waving"--I suspect that's just to be expected for a team that is drawing so many new fans. Not everyone is going to behave the way you want them to--especially during a weekend game, when there will naturally be more newbies than diehards.

As for County Stadium, I miss it too--but only because I miss my childhood and early years of fandom. There were fewer things as fun as sitting in that park with around 20,000 in the place. The problem was that this intimate little group was forced to cheer for Matt Mieske and Mike Fetters and Greg Brock. And then at the end, it really was an eyesore, and no place for a 21st century baseball team.

At least once a year, since 2001, I'll watch my recordings of Milwaukee County Stadium's Closing Ceremonies and Last ever game at Milwaukee County Stadium activities along with ESPN Classic Live - part of that last game and Thanks for the Memories' from WISN Milwaukee CH12

Gives me chills every time and keeps my memories fresh going back to 1964, the 2nd last year the Braves called MCS home. http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif

I also miss the scoreboard at County Stadium.

That was a thing of wonder when it was first put up. With the idea of replacing the stadium it lasted at least 11 years too long.

If you are referring to that brown/white display board it was anticlimactical to me as soon as I saw it! The next year, IIRC, a color board came to be I believe at Dodger Stadium. What a waste of money that one at MCS was http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/embarassed.gif

(edit: one emoticon is enough --1992)

Thanks for the Memories' from WISN Milwaukee CH12
Actually, the closing ceremonies were on MSN and were wonderfully done. Matt Vasgersian and Bill Schroeder said next to nothing and let the show take over.

Miller Park's opening, however, was covered by Channel 12, and it was horrible. We had to listen to their dumb reporters babble about stuff that had been covered by every other channel previously, and they completely cut out Robin Yount's speech. It reminds me of when they did Monday night Packer pregame coverage; they simply wanted to 'show off' every reporter they could.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived