Brewer Fanatic

8/04/07 - Phillies (Hamels) @ Brewers (Bush) - 6:05pm

sgtcluels
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Down 5-1 with a guy with 18 homers at the plate, bunting is a ridiculous request."

That's why this team is so good at coming back this year. They always think like that. They're back in this game so far without the HR and despite Hart's K. Am I glad they've almost got it all back in one inning? Heck yah. But usually in a 4 run game I'll take 2 runs in the sixth rather than 0 runs, a K, and an inning ending dp.

Teams that bunt when down by 4 runs don't win a lot of come from behind games. The idea of the bunt is to increase your odds of scoring 1 run by being willing to give up the chance to score more than 1. When you are down by 4 you aren't looking to score 1 run. Maybe if we were tied or down by 1 or something it would make some sort of sense.

That's why this team is so good at coming back this year. They always think like that. They're back in this game so far without the HR and despite Hart's K. Am I glad they've almost got it all back in one inning? Heck yah. But usually in a 4 run game I'll take 2 runs in the sixth rather than 0 runs, a K, and an inning ending dp.

But you can't just assume they'd score 2 runs if they bunt there. They still need a baseknock (which they got) to score those runs, and a sac fly would score 1 run. Couple that with the fact that there's probably a 70% success rate of a sac bunt with runners on 1st and 2nd (easy force at 3rd if the bunt's not perfect) as well as Hart is one of our top 3 hitters on the team, and bunting there is just dumb. You can't make decisions based on extremes.

Perhaps you're all right about the bunting. But I've had it with K's when people are in scoring position this season. They seem to leave a lot of runs on the diamond that over the course of some of these games would have put them right back in the game.

I wasn't talking about anyone here, MoneyballMan, it was more of a general sarcastic comment poking fun at fickle bandwagon fans.

I'm with ya. Kind of like x consecutive sellouts? But "Milwaukee's a GREAT baseball town"! More like, "Milwaukee's a great baseball town when they're winning", whcih pretty much makes Milwaukee the same as any other city. But this will only get us started on this topic again, so please ignore my little rant here!!

Archived