Brewer Fanatic

8/04/07 - Phillies (Hamels) @ Brewers (Bush) - 6:05pm

sgtcluels
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hamels has a 3.51 ERA this year, his FIP is 4.07. He is not a pitcher that is so dominant we cannot score on, this game is not anywhere near over.

Would love to see it, but how many games this season have we actually recovered from more than 3 runs down in a winning effort?

I've been pointing out the issue with our starting pitchers since the beginning of the year. Everyone seems to believe we have a "great" rotation, when in fact it's very average. AND, you could believe that our two best starters right now may just be Gallardo and Parra, neither of whom figured in the rotation at the beginning of the year.

Original rotation career stats (through what they've done this year):

Sheets - 71-73 3.79 ERA
Capuano - 42-44 4.31 ERA
Suppan - 114-110 4.63 ERA
Bush - 31-34 4.41 ERA
Vargas - 41-35 4.90 ERA

I still believe we just have to hope for that "next step" and an 82-80 record or better this year.

EDIT: Based on a couple of other posts, let me also point out that I'm NOT an advocate for wholescale change either. Just pointing out that it's questionable whether or not this team is ready to reach the playoffs this year. I'm still hopeful!!

Hall's looking almost as bad as Weeks lately.

Bill S just said he was 0 for his last 15. http://static.yuku.com/v2//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eek.gif
Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Bush has too much value to DFA. He's proven to be decent out of the bullpen.

Not to mention that he's a good starter. Why would he be put in the pen? Because he's giving up runs to the best offense in the NL?

I seriously cannot believe that the idea of him being DFA'd is even being discussed here. It almost makes me sad that it has gotten to that level.

I can still watch, cause I believe 2 things: 1) We will win tomorrow to take the series; 2) Glavine will get #300 tomorrow. Therefore, by tomorrow night we will be in the same position we were at the beginning of this game. Plus, I really believe this team is about to turn it around. It's unfortunate we had to face their ace tonight, or I think we might have really started a nice win streak after last night.

I can still watch, cause I believe 2 things: 1) We will win tomorrow to take the series; 2) Glavine will get #300 tomorrow. Therefore, by tomorrow night we will be in the same position we were at the beginning of this game.
I like this thinking and agree. Just take the series. Plus the Brewers don't sweep teams. Thats just not their style. Heck I can't remember any sweeps since the Nationals in early May? Nonetheless, Hamels vs. Bush thats a tough match-up. Probably 20-80 percent of winning going in. We all knew that. Bush needed to be perfect and he knew that going in. So I'd say Bushy likely pressed a bit much trying to be too fine.

Shouse is unreal nowadays.

Schroeder: "You wonder how much breaking his routine hurt Bush". Give me a break. Although I'm sure it sounds pretty good to most fans who don't question anything.

He had issues with it last year, as well. He does struggle historically when breaking routine. That could be why he was terrible out of the pen last season.

I like this thinking and agree. Just take the series. Plus the Brewers don't sweep teams. Thats just not their style. Heck I can't remember any sweeps since the Nationals in early May?

First off, they swept San Francisco and Houston in mid-June. Second of all, it's very difficult to sweep a Major League baseball team. Saying that sweeping a team isn't our style is like saying that pitching 1-hitters isn't really our style. We've got 6 (I think?) sweeps so far this year, which is a ton for early August.

Archived