Brewer Fanatic

Goldstein on Gamel

battlekow

I really don't see pigeon-holing a kid in A+ as a DH already... like Prince was nothing but a DH? Gamel can play for the Brewers, he can play in the NL, he'll most likely be fine a corner outfield spot or 1B if he's up when Braun is with the team. Since he plays 3rd, his arm is good enough to play either corner outfield spot. With Braun ahead of him, I've always figured he wasn't going to stick at 3rd, so I could honestly care less about his errors.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yeah, I don't agree with the idea that Gamel is a DH waiting to happen. I'm guessing Gamel may already be moved to LF if it weren't for the current glut of OFs throughout the Brewers system. He's a good enough athlete, and I'm not completely writing him off at 3B, but given the presence of Braun there's no reason to keep Gamel at 3B really other than the fact that they have nowhere else to go with him at this point in time, although at some point the organization is going to have to find a place for him elsewhere, regardless of that glut.

The Huntsville and BC OFs are already full as it is (not to mention the WV and Helena OFs). And keep in mind that Gamel has been suggested to be a future LF ever since the Brewers drafted him.

I'm not sure Braun has proven that he can play 3rd base yet but considering how he is raking at the plate it really doesn't matter because there is no way not to play him.

Hopefully Ryan will take on the challenge of improving his defense or a move to left field still might happen down the road.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hopefully Ryan will take on the challenge of improving his defense or a move to left field still might happen down the road.

If that happens, I bet it's with another team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived