Brewer Fanatic

"big Z" hurt?

kiwi brewer

I've always liked "Cra-Z", but that's just me.

This isn't related to Zambrano, but def. the Cubs. Apparently Soriano fractured his right middle finger back on Mar. 2nd. I got this from an outstanding blog I recently 'discovered', The Disabled List Informer. It's written by a sports physical therapist whose clientele ranges from kids to professional athletes. I'll just post direct quotes, since I've linked the blog.

"Welcome to my blog. I'm a licensed sports Physical Therapist who loves fantasy baseball and strives to inform fellow fantasy baseball managers about the injuries to their players, as well as offer advice with draft tips, waiver targets, and anything related to fantasy baseball. You should also know that I am a lifetime Red Sox fan."

----------------------------------------------------

"Alfonso Soriano, one of fantasy baseball's most coveted players, sustained a non-displaced fracture of his right middle finger today as he attempted to catch a fly ball. Certainly, nobody will be mistaking Soriano for a gold glove winner in the outfield, which makes this incident not all that surprising.

The somewhat funny thing about this is that he throws right handed, which means that the injury isn't even on his glove side. So, Alfonso, just how were you attempting to make this grab?

The Cubs are insisting that he will be out for 3-5 days. This likely suggests that the fracture is extremely small and that the healing process should not take all that long. Regardless of this, I would expect him to have some issues handling the bat for the next 2-3 weeks.

When a bone is fractured, it normally takes 4-6 weeks for it to fully heal if it is non-displaced. So, while he should only miss about 5 days, he will likely have his finger splinted or taped to some extent - thus limiting his finger flexibility and strength.

In any event, I would still draft Alfonso as you normally would. In most leagues, he is being taken in the late 1st to early 2nd rounds, and this injury should not change your thinking here. Keep an eye on the updates, though, in case he has a setback. These finger fractures tend to be tricky, especially with players who have extremely quick bats such as Soriano."

--------------------------------

"As I had foreshadowed in my previous article spotlighting Soriano's finger fracture, he is healing slowly. The middle finger on his right hand is apparently more swollen than it was initially. Given this news, I would expect him to be limited more along the lines of 2-3 weeks as opposed to 3-5 days. I still would draft him as you normally would."

The thing I find fascinating about this blog is that the author knows very well what he discusses, and is able to translate from complex medical terminology to real-world impact. Make sure to check in there as this season progresses.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've always liked "Cra-Z", but that's just me.

This isn't related to Zambrano, but def. the Cubs. Apparently Soriano fractured his right middle finger back on Mar. 2nd. I got this from an outstanding blog I recently 'discovered', The Disabled List Informer. It's written by a sports physical therapist whose clientele ranges from kids to professional athletes. I'll just post direct quotes, since I've linked the blog.

The thing I find fascinating about this blog is that the author knows very well what he discusses, and is able to translate from complex medical terminology to real-world impact. Make sure to check in there as this season progresses.

Thanks for the link. I enjoy reading a lot more detailed stuff about injuries by somebody who knows what they are talking about. Rightfully so, the media doesn't get too detailed, as that would be pretty boring to the average reader. Definitely going to bookmark that blog though.

Thanks for the link. I enjoy reading a lot more detailed stuff about injuries by somebody who knows what they are talking about. Rightfully so, the media doesn't get too detailed, as that would be pretty boring to the average reader. Definitely going to bookmark that blog though.

No problem! I hope everyone here bookmarks it. I agree 100% with your sentiments above.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Whoa! I apologize! I have no idea how I pulled up a severely old thread! I just now realized it was old. I swear it showed near the top of the first page when I opened BF.net up this morning. I would never dredge up something so old just to make some zing comment.

One of these days he's gonna pull a Bill Grammatica and injure himself jumping up and down or pointing furiously in the air as he celebrates

A few seasons back, when he had elbow soreness or something (from "emailing his relatives"), someone on this forum wondered out loud if it wasn't from all that arm pumping he does after every K. I enjoyed that post.

And nickname-wise, I prefer Hothead, or Hothead Z. (Not saying anyone else has to adopt it. I already have my place in bf.net nickname lore.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived