Brewer Fanatic

"big Z" hurt?

kiwi brewer

I just saw on gameday that Zambrano left the game for the Cubs in the 6th. Could someone who is watching/listening to the game please elaborate on the seriousness of the injury. I knew their luck had to run out sooner than later. Ha!

Added tags - b19

Consolidated tags --1992

He's not injured (at least, not obviously so), he was just pitching pretty poorly, despite only giving up one run. It reminded me of El Duquecito's start for the Brewers against the Mets a few years ago. He just couldn't find the plate but the other team just couldn't score. Z walked 7 guys in 5 innings and threw 93 pitches, taking him looked like the right move to me.

if yost let bush or suppan go into the 6th after a start like that (meaning the 7 walks and near 100 pitches early), i know a bunch of people here would be really upset if he gave up some runs.

it was a safe move.

the nickname "big z" is so obnoxious. Anyway we can get that banned here at bf.net? It's bad enough having to hear Cubs Announcers and fans calling him that, but we need to call him that too?

I think the worst part, is that he coined that nickname for himself, didn't he?

He was having a problem with his foot in his last start and then today he couldn't throw strikes at all. Zambrano is the definition of a hot/cold pitcher so hopefully this is the start of a cold streak. That team's ERA is about 0.40 lower than it should be so some regression to the mean sure would be nice.

Looking into this more closely Zambrano hasn't had more than two dominant months in a row in his entire career. His june was 2.53/1.08 and his July 1.38/0.95 so he's due for a 4+ ERA month I'd say.

Yeah, Zambrano left because of dehydration cramps. He said in the post-game press conference that he doesn't like drinking water, but he has to start doing it more during the summer. Nothing big, but with how much the Cubs' bullpen has been pitching lately, they probably could've used a couple more innings out of him this afternoon.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah Im okay with The-Riot, cause its kind of cool that someone actually has that last name. But Big Z is just stupid, who gives themself a nickname anyway?

The only cool instance of giving yourself a nickname was El Guapo, which is just cool. (good 3 amigos reference also) Big Z is dumb enough as it is, but to give it to yourself? Lame.

Come on, what a wimp, be a real man, Illinois the land of wimps.

I like him no more than you do, but this is coming from the fan of a team with Ben Sheets. Not that I dislike Benny at all, far from it, but he's had a lot more minor injuries (and major) in the past.

I hate the nickname Big Z too but I cringe everytime I hear one of the Cubs announcers or one of their fans call Ryan Theriot "The-Riot".

I call him "The Riot" because I honestly thought thats how his name was pronounced the first time I read it, as in "haha that guy on the cubs' name is the riot"

"Big Z" sounds like a generic brand of frozen pizza....Or the name of a chemical for cleaning your trailer

http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/productimagesCentral/ZepImages/0370.gif

• 7 months later...

Archived