Brewer Fanatic

Possible roster moves today? (Latest: Dessens DFAed, Linebrink activated)

patrickgpe

I don't see how Wise could be DLed for hitting someone and not having is head on straight. I know we could make up an injury but that has long term risks. Wise wouldn't do it unless he was legitimately hurt because of the negative effect it could have on his arbitration. Melvin would be hesitant to abuse it because no one wants baseball to do to the DL what the NFL did to IR because of the abuse of the rules some teams employed to keep certain players on thier roster. Every illegitimate use of the DL makes it all the more likely a gentelmens agreement not to abuse the current system will be replaced with something more restrictive.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I realize AAA innings are as taxing as MLB innings. In AAA you can schedule 2 inning starts where in the big leagues I think our pen is tired throughout and will get used quite extensivley. Thus having a fresh arm or a player you don't care if you burn out would be more useful than a young pitcher who is on an innigs limit.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just hope its not optioning... Villanueva.

For those who have not been watching, Villy in the month of July had a 6.75 ERA with 10 walks and 15 hits in 17.1 innings, and since the All-Star break has a 9.00 ERA with 9 walks and 9 hits in 11 IP. I'm all for sending him to the DL and bringing Gross back up. He has not been good at all lately. The runs Spurling gave up on Thursday didn't mean a darn thing since they were already down 8-3, and lost 12-4. His other bad outing was in garbage time too, in a game they lost 8-0 and got 4 hits. When the game has been on the line lately, Spurling has come through; CV has not.

And I hope R.A. Dickey is getting paid a boatload of money for all of the innings he has been eating at AAA. Innings at AAA are just as taxing as they are in the big leagues, and having a guy like Dickey (or Fernandez last year) is just invaluable.

Messed up in the head? I doubt it. I think that's just reaching for a reason for why he had a few bad games. The guy is too good of a pitcher to DL due to something that is just perceived.

It's going to most likely be one of Dessens, Spurling, or Parra, and if it's a DL move Villanueva. I think Parra going down and starting makes the most sense. He's not going to get any work in Milwaukee. You can just go with Dessens in the garbage innings.

I heard Melvin say in an WSSP interview a couple days ago something along the lines of expecting Parra to be a key contributor over the next couple months, so I think Parra is going to stay. My guess is that it comes down to Dessens being waived or Villanueva being sent down. It could be Spurling, but for the most part he has done a pretty good job. It could just come down to have much confidence they still have in Villanueva at the moment to get out of his pitching slump.

Since Wise hit Lopez in the head he has just not been there at all. I bet they will find a way to put him on some reserve list the rest of the season for it. How else do you explain going out and throwing 10 straight balls Ricky Vaughn style? What would Villanueava be put on the DL for? He would have to go down to the minors and may get straightened out just like Weeks is. Parra is pitching way too well to go down. He is the one in the long relief role so when Vargas or Suppan or Capuano get lit up early he enters!

Wise isn't going to be put on a reserve mental illness list for any amount of time, let alone the rest of the season. The 10 balls was a fluke. Like I said, it's just reaching by thinking that hitting a guy is having an effect on him. It's coincidence, as far as I can tell. If anything, maybe you could make more of an argument for that three inning appearance having more of an impact that the HBP. He's hit guys before. It's part of the game.

If they keep Parra up, it shouldn't be in long relief. It should be as a one inning guy, maybe taking Villanueva's spot, while Villanueva moves into a battle with Spurling for the one appearance a week spot until Parra hits his inning limit.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Wise were going to go on the DL, why was he up in the 7th last night getting loose? I guess anything is possible, but given that the Brewers thought enough of Wise last night to get him ready to come into the game if necessary I'd say it might be the least likely of any possible move.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

sending Villanueva down would be stupid, imo. It would be unnecessarily punitive to a guy who is adapting to a new role and who has filled that role excellently for the most part. Yes, he hasn't been good for a couple weeks. However, he's also thrown the most relief innings in MLB this year.

Sending him down wouldn't seem to address his problem, which seems to be fatigue/dead-arm. If anything, a 2 week dl stint would probably be the way to go as I don't believe he has earned a demotion in the same way Weeks had.

Seems to me it has to be Parra or Dessens, unless there is a legitimate DL stint in the works for CV. A big reason Parra was kept around as long as he was in the first place was the 18 games/17 days strech which included the need for a spot start in the St Louis doubleheader. He's extended his stay due to the fact that he's pitched well and there was no real "no-brainer" position player to bring up to the big club. Indeed, the Weeks situation only compounded that problem, as there certainly weren't two position guys who seemed to have more value on the roster than Parra did.

Parra has showed that he belongs, but I think he's better off for the long term getting some regular work right now. He certainly CAN work the back end of games, but that work is pretty well spoken for with Coco, Bow, Linebrink, Wise, Shouse, CV and even Spurling (who seems like he's been kicked square in the nuts less than anybody in the pen in recent weeks). If Parra's your long man, he may not get much work, and then Dessens is expendable. If Dessens is your long man, then it's better to send Parra down for a month to get 4/5 starts inand bring him back with the call-ups.

Archived