Brewer Fanatic

Ways to jumpstart Brewers in 2008

Here is what we should do to improve the Brewers for 2008.

1. Decline Geoff Jenkins' 2008 option making him a free agent, saving 8 million

2. Resign either Cordero or Linebrink to ensure closer spot, perhaps a 3 year deal worth 27-30 mil for either.

3. Extend Sheets' contract through 2012.

Then make these trades:

To Detroit:

P Chris Capuano

OF/IF Billy Hall

OF Tony Gwynn Jr.

To Milwaukee:

OF Curtis Granderson

----------------------------

To Philadelphia:

P Dave Bush

To Milwaukee:

OF Michael Bourn

P JC Romero

4. Sign OF Eric Byrnes to either compete with Bourn for the LF position or give the position to him outright. Byrnes will likely cost 4 yrs 32 mil.

5. Resign C Johnny Estrada since there are no other alternatives at catcher this offseason.

Here is how the lineup will shake out:

1. RF Corey Hart

2. CF Curtis Granderson

3. 3B Ryan Braun

4. 1B Prince Fielder

5. SS JJ Hardy

6. LF Eric Byrnes

7. 2B Rickie Weeks

8. C Johnny Estrada

Rotation:

1. Ben Sheets

2. Yo Gallardo

3. Manny Parra

4. Jeff Suppan

5. Claudio Vargas/Carlos Villanueva

Complete 25-man roster:

1. C Johnny Estrada

2. C Damian Miller

3. 1B Prince Fielder

4. UT Vinnie Rottino (give him a shot to be the new utility infielder)

5. IF Ramon Martinez or Tony Graffanino

6. 2B Rickie Weeks

7. SS JJ Hardy

8. 3B Ryan Braun

9. OF Corey Hart

10. OF Curtis Granderson

11. OF Eric Byrnes

12. OF Michael Bourn

13. OF Endy Chavez (could serve as fifth outfielder)

14. P Ben Sheets

15. P Yo Gallardo

16. P Manny Parra

17. P Jeff Suppan

18. P Claudio Vargas

19. P Carlos Villanueva

20. P Brian Shouse (retain)

21. P Chris Spurling

22. P Matt Wise (retain)

23. P Derrick Turnbow (retain)

24. P Dan Wheeler (sign to a deal)

25. P Francisco Cordero/Scott Linebrink

1. I agree, and I think his option is for 9.5 million. I'd take him back though for a 2 year, 6 million dollar deal.

2. Agree, but probably not Cordero. I think a team could sign Linebrink for 3 years, 18 million or so. I would NOT give a RP 9-10 million a year.

3. I totally 100% agree. 5 years 65 million.

Trade #1. You are extremely undervaluing starting pitching, especially arby-SP. Capuano alone is probably worth Granderson, either way, I wouldnt make that deal.

Trade #2. Again, undervaluing what a good SP is worth, and Dave Bush is an above average SP and is under our control for 3 more years. JC Romero is junk, I dont see how or why we need Bourn. A bad deal, Id pass.

4. I like Byrnes, but not as a corner OF. He'll be overpaid and is on the wrong side of 30, with the way he plays his body is likely to break down a la Johnny Damon and Jim Edmonds, no thanks.

5. I think Estrada has one more year of arbitration, so yeah, resign him for a one year deal.

My 2008 team would be.

1. Hart RF

2. FA 2b

3. Braun 3b

4. Fielder 1b

5. FA Left Fielder

6. Hall CF

7. Estrada C

8. Hardy SS

Rotation:

Sheets

Gallardo

Capuano

Bush

Suppan

I think if you want to trade a SP it should be Vargas, as his W/L total is likely to not reflect his true ability and will inflate his value. After tge 2008 season you trade Capuano. Also we should call the Pirates to see if they'll take Suppan (hey, its worth a try).

Bench = Weeks, Counsell, Gwynn, Gross, FA C

I would NOT give a RP 9-10 million a year.

Trade #1. You are extremely undervaluing starting pitching, especially arby-SP. Capuano alone is probably worth Granderson, either way, I wouldnt make that deal.

I agree, no RP ever gets 10M from me. No way.

As for Granderson, if Detroit was willing to trade him I'm all for it (although that deal may be too much), but I doubt it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I love Manny Parra and I'd love to see him be a starter in Milwaukee, but I am not sure he'll be ready to go 180-200 innings next year.

So far this year, Manny has thrown 121.1 innings. The most innings he's ever thrown in a season is 138.2, which was back when he was in Beloit.

Depending on his innings limit this year (I don't know that that limit is, only that he has one), he might not get enough innings this year to make the leap to 180 or more next year, especially given his injury history.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I like your moves overall. At least they are different.

One thing though...I like Byrnes, a bit, but I bet he gets more than 4yr/$32million. I could be wrong, though.

I am also not sure where this idea of converting Linebrink into a closer is coming from. If I'm not mistaken, he's never been a closer in his career, and doesn't seem like he has really dominant closer "stuff." If we can't re-sign Cordero, I'd probably let Linebrink walk as well, take the draft picks, and either try Turnbow as closer again (I know, I know...) or go out and sign a slightly cheaper option.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't like the idea of sending off Hall or Cappy at all. I am sure if we put them in a package we'd get more then you had. Overall though i like that you are thinking ahead. I like the idea of trying to get either cordero or linebrink. However i would not go as high as you did especially with Linebrink as signs are pointing that he could be on a down turn.

I wouldn't sign either Cordero or Linebrink. I'd ratehr trade for Nathan who sounds to be available or Cordeo from the Nats who is.

As to 2B, nothing out there is better than Weeks. You have Castillo, Grudz if he doesn't retire, Loretta, and Graffy.

By far the most improvement in '08 will be from the 6 young position players we'll run out there. Romero was DFA'd a few weeks ago, that would have been the time to get him. He's very good versus LH's, but loogys are plentiful. Hall and Capuano for a marginal improvement in CF? No way.

dadofandrew wrote:

Hall and Capuano for a marginal improvement in CF? No way.

Well, it depends what you think they'll do next year. If Hall has a year like last year, then yeah, obviously there's no difference. If he puts up another .750OPS, that's way more than marginally worse than Granderson's .915.

Granderson is way better than Hall. He's a better hitter and a better defensive player, plus he's younger. If that package could net them Granderson, I'd do it and not think twice. Capuano is pretty expendable, as far as I'm concerned. He can easily be replaced. They're losing little more than nothing trading Gwynn.

I wouldn't even consider the Phillies trade, because Romero is pretty much junk, and Bourn doesn't do much for me. I wouldn't go after Byrnes, either.

Brett - I always read your posts because I generally agree with what you say. I do the same here, but what would you do instead? What things would you do to "jumpstart" the Brewers next year? Why not add a few nuggets instead of just shooting down the ideas that were thrown out here?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I see things a bit differently.

-I see Jenkins' option declined, with us netting 1-2 draft picks.

-Linebrink or Cordero retained at the 3 year $24-32 million range. The other nets us two draft picks

-Miller let go. new backup catcher signed.

-Graffanino let go, Brewers receive 1 draft pick (can't imagine he'll still be type A).

-Vargas dealt netting a middle infielder and possibly a prospect or reliever.

-Capuano dealt to the Yankees, netting us Bobby Abreu and cash

-Koskie not retained.

New lineup:

Hart RF

Abreu LF

Braun 3b

Fielder 1b

Hall CF

Weeks 2b

Hardy SS

Estrada C

Rotation:

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Bush

Villanueva/Parra

the only concern I have is Hardy at 8th or 2nd.

You won't pay Jenkins $9mil for 1 year but you'd give Eric Byrnes a big contract?

I'm going to guess Jenkins option gets picked up, though it could go either way. Yes, it might be a slight overpayment, but its a one year deal. Anyone worth a crap in FA will be too expensive, and anyone comparable to Jenkins will be about the same price and for 3 or 4 years.

We do have a starter to trade, and I'm still going to assume it'll be Vargas. Gallardo takes his spot, and Bush has to hold off Parra and Villanueva. I don't think Villanueva's potential as a starter would be much of an upgrade over Bush, and Parra might need another year to gear up to a starters role. Depth is good.

Linebrink and Cordero are gone, and let's please get a Sheets deal inked. $60 over 4 years?

That leaves a hole at closer, but we should be able to net a solid one using Vargas, Bush, or Capuano, and possibly a spare part or prospect as well.

-Capuano dealt to the Yankees, netting us Bobby Abreu and cash

I really like this idea. Only problem I see with it is getting Abreu to waive his no trade clause. Also I would hope the Yankees give us at least $5 million because Abreu's club option next year is worth $16 million.

If Hall is traded to the Tigers they'd move him back to SS and move Guillen to either 3B, 1B, or DH to protect him from injuries. It might not take much more then Hall and Gwynn to convince the Tigers to make a deal for Granderson.

Brett - I always read your posts because I generally agree with what you say. I do the same here, but what would you do instead? What things would you do to "jumpstart" the Brewers next year? Why not add a few nuggets instead of just shooting down the ideas that were thrown out here?

I don't really have any grand ideas of things that need to be done. Like others, I could definitely see Jenkins option being picked up. I don't expect it to happen, but I don't really have any strong feelings about it one way or another. If Jenkins does come back, I'd hope they could add a solid platoon partner through a minor league FA/one year deal for a veteran, or a minor trade.

The one thing the Brewers desperately need is a better OBP. They could pick some up with Weeks simply improving and getting healthy, along with moving Hardy down to the bottom third of the order.

They could also improve at catcher in that department. Miller will be gone. Jorge Posada will be a free agent, but it's really doubtful you could convince him to come to Milwaukee. If they would be able to, you would have one of the greatest catchers of the past 30 years, and a guy who has always gotten on base (career .379 OBP). That would be a massive upgrade, but also probably a huge financial risk considering we're talking about a catcher who will be 36 in a couple weeks who is looking to cash in off a huge season (.340/.419/.549 this year so far).

I definitely don't see it happening, but it's something that I've thought about a little.

Most likely if this team makes noise in the offseason it's going to be via trade, because the only FA's they can attract are mid-level ones that they lure by overpaying. I think the greatest improvement for this team is going to come due to improvement by their existing players, much like it did from '06 to '07. There really isn't a heck of a lot that needs to be done. They will lose relievers, but as far as I'm concerned Turnbow can close and they can throw a bunch of guys against the wall and see what sticks to fill other vacancies in the pen.

Is Miller going to be gone? Now he won't be back at his current salary, but at say $1million a year you'd have a hard time finding a better back up catcher. Now he does risk falling of a cliff, but most back up catchers always have that risk.

I'd gladly welcome him back, no doubt. In fact I wish he'd play more as it is. I think he might just retire, though. I'd definitely love it if they could get a catcher that can get on base, or really a 2B or LF, or CF (with Hall moving to 2B) that can get on base. Obviously they could use a better OBP out of the SS, too, but Hardy's pretty much entrenched for good or bad right now. That is the thing that seperates this from an offense that is good and an offense that is great (like the Phillies, for example - they have four guys off the top of my head with great OBP's in Burrell, Rowand, Utley, and Howard).

Are people really that eager to offer Sheets a huge contract extension right now? 4yrs/$60million, as suggested...seems like a big price to pay, especially considering he's on the DL (again) right now. Yes, I know, he's our guy and he has great stuff, once struck out 17 guys in a game three years ago, etc. I just don't know if the Brewers can afford to take such a gamble on him at this point, though.

To add to that, really quick, I love the idea of Bobby Abreu with the Brewers...he'd finally give the team another elite bat which I've been saying this team needs ever since Lee get traded last July (yes, I know Braun and Fielder, but you can't count on the young guys completely as this season and last have shown). I'd do Capuano for Abreu, definitely.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

There are an awful lot of corner outfielders having worse years than Jenkins. He's going to get $5-6 million per year for 2-3 years on the open market easily. Barring a deal where a better option is out there, I'd consider picking up his option.

My point of view is that the Brewers need to do two main things. First is get another top of the rotation type pitcher that is reliable. Most good teams have two clear top of the rotation guys. The second thing I would like the Brewers to do is work on getting some guys with good OBP and some speed would be nice. The Brewers rely to much on the home run to be good consistently. So hear are my ideas, and the trades are base models, prospects may need to be included one way or the other.

1) Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan for Roy Oswalt

I realize trades in the division are not common, but the Brewers would get a good SP who is signed for a few years and the Astros would get a solid SP in return and also Bill Hall who could play any number of positions for the Astros. Hall becomes a piece of the Astros rebuilding. The best thing is that the Brewers actually save a little money.

2) Claudio Vargus and Tony Gwynn Jr. for Akinori Otsuka and Frank Catalanotto

The Brewers get a solid RP to replace the departing Linebrink and also pick up a solid OBP LF to help set up the table for the big hitters. Texas gets a SP which they always can use and a OF prospect that they seem to be interested in.

3) Derrick Turnbow for Jacob Ellsbury

Brewers get a CFer of the future(and now) who has a good OBP, speed and generally makes good contact. Boston has Crisp and could use the bullpen help more than taking the time to break in a rookie OFer.

I would also have the Brewers resign Cordero, and let Jenkins, and Mench go.

1)Ellsbury

2)Catalanotto

3)Braun

4)Fielder

5)Hart

6)Estrada

7)Weeks

8)Hardy

Bench

Nix

Gross

Graffanio

D.Miller

Counsell

Ellsbury and Catalanotto will get on base more consistently and having Hart batting 5th will help take advantage of his power more. I would also have Hardy hit 8th over Weeks, because it appears Hardy is the more disciplined hitter.

SP-Sheets

SP-Oswalt

SP-Gallardo

SP-Capuano

SP-Bush/Parra/Villaneuva(winner stays other 2 go to bullpen)

CL-Cordero

RP-Otsuka

RP-Wise

RP-Shouse

RP-Spurling

RP-Bush/Parra/Villaneuva

RP-Bush/Parra/Villaneuva

counsell signed a two year contract, so he will be back next year.

I'm guessing they let a few prospects slug it out for graffy's spot next year.

I'm not going to mention the trades in this thread, because either I wouldn't do them or I don't think the other team would do them. God Bless Melvin is th GM.

Here is what we should do to improve the Brewers for 2008.

1. Decline Geoff Jenkins' 2008 option making him a free agent, saving 8 million

2. Resign either Cordero or Linebrink to ensure closer spot, perhaps a 3 year deal worth 27-30 mil for either.

3. Extend Sheets' contract through 2012.

Then make these trades:

To Detroit:

P Chris Capuano

OF/IF Billy Hall

OF Tony Gwynn Jr.

To Milwaukee:

OF Curtis Granderson

----------------------------

To Philadelphia:

P Dave Bush

To Milwaukee:

OF Michael Bourn

P JC Romero

4. Sign OF Eric Byrnes to either compete with Bourn for the LF position or give the position to him outright. Byrnes will likely cost 4 yrs 32 mil.

5. Resign C Johnny Estrada since there are no other alternatives at catcher this offseason.

Here is how the lineup will shake out:

1. RF Corey Hart

2. CF Curtis Granderson

3. 3B Ryan Braun

4. 1B Prince Fielder

5. SS JJ Hardy

6. LF Eric Byrnes

7. 2B Rickie Weeks

8. C Johnny Estrada

Rotation:

1. Ben Sheets

2. Yo Gallardo

3. Manny Parra

4. Jeff Suppan

5. Claudio Vargas/Carlos Villanueva

Complete 25-man roster:

1. C Johnny Estrada

2. C Damian Miller

3. 1B Prince Fielder

4. UT Vinnie Rottino (give him a shot to be the new utility infielder)

5. IF Ramon Martinez or Tony Graffanino

6. 2B Rickie Weeks

7. SS JJ Hardy

8. 3B Ryan Braun

9. OF Corey Hart

10. OF Curtis Granderson

11. OF Eric Byrnes

12. OF Michael Bourn

13. OF Endy Chavez (could serve as fifth outfielder)

14. P Ben Sheets

15. P Yo Gallardo

16. P Manny Parra

17. P Jeff Suppan

18. P Claudio Vargas

19. P Carlos Villanueva

20. P Brian Shouse (retain)

21. P Chris Spurling

22. P Matt Wise (retain)

23. P Derrick Turnbow (retain)

24. P Dan Wheeler (sign to a deal)

25. P Francisco Cordero/Scott Linebrink

1. Great idea. Time to move on with a bright future in our OF. He is at best a platoon player and showing his age more and more.

2. Need to try and bring Coco back. Yes he has had a rough going lately but he is still a top 5 closer in the game.

3. No way he has yet to earn any kind of an extension unless you are looking to waste money on the DL.

Teams needst to get a fulltime LFer for the next year. Cappy/Bush/ Vargas should be used as trade bait to get them this player.

Bill Hall is not going to be moved into the infield by the Brewers if he is traded he could for the new team. Weeks is the future unless the Brewes decide to move him for help somewhere else on the team.

Hopefully Miller is back to be the #2 cathcer. Rottino can go play for some other farm system so they waste their time with him playing on their big league club.

I do like the ideas, but....

"1) Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan for Roy Oswalt"

I just don't see Houston agreeing to that, even if you throw in a top prospect (who's left?)

"2) Claudio Vargus and Tony Gwynn Jr. for Akinori Otsuka and Frank Catalanotto"

Our team is soon going to be made up of all former Rangers and Diamondbacks... wouldn't it be odd for Otsuka to set up Cordero again, after taking his job last year?

Seriously though, I think Otsuka's a free agent after this year, and has Catalanotto ever been an everyday player? I like him but I think of him as a good backup. He has a .681 OPS in 316 career ABs against LH pitchers. I guess 316 ABs isn't giving him much of a chance to hit LHP. But the problem is both of your backup OFs are LH batters, so at least, you'd probably have to find a RH batter for the OF, keep Mench or Hall, use Graffanino in the OF more, something.

Archived