Brewer Fanatic

Dugout altercation

Bruce Ciskie

On the play in question, had JJ fielded the ball cleanly he had one chance to get an out on that play.

But what about the last three months or so of bad hitting? There's plenty of reasons for Ned to be angry at Hardy.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was J.J. Hardy Yost was critizing: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642420

The Milwaukee Brewers held a players-only meeting Friday afternoon in an effort to band together, put behind them the dugout altercation of the previous day and focus on winning the National League Central title.

While Yost stopped short of saying he intentionally tried to wake up his club Thursday by criticizing shortstop J.J. Hardy in front of teammates, it wasn't difficult to read between the lines of the manager's comments during his afternoon media session, in that very dugout.

"I think I did that with every intention of having somebody stand up. I was kind of hoping somebody would stand up so that this is the way it would be. There's things that happen like that. It's part of trying to get a team going.

"I don't view it as a bad thing at all."

"I think I did that with every intention of having somebody stand up. I was kind of hoping somebody would stand up so that this is the way it would be. There's things that happen like that. It's part of trying to get a team going."

I think Ned is just saying that to cover his butt. I don't think the incident was intentional or planned that way. I personally think it was a real disagreement that took Ned by surprise.

I could go either way on whether or not it was intentional - he may have gotten a bit more than he bargained for, but it does seem logical that he was looking for a way to kick a few guys in the butt. I guess I had not given too much though to just how absurd it is that 23 year old Prince Fielder is the undisputed, and perhaps only leader on this team. He will obvioulsy always be the guy on this team, but to allow him to carry that load alone is pretty weal on the part of his teammates.

I'd like to joke around that Ned isn't smart enough to think of something like this, but I tend to think that every coach knows of the practices of legendary coaches before them. One of the things that made Herb Brooks famous was his ability to turn the 1980 Olympic hockey team against him. It brought them together as a team because they were more focused on their dislike of Herb and they didn't have time to worry about their different backgrounds. Other coaches have used similar tactics, and a lot of it has been well-chronicled over the years.

So, all kidding aside, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ned think of something like that.

Now...will it work? One game will not be the determining factor.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

"I think I did that with every intention of having somebody stand up. I was kind of hoping somebody would stand up so that this is the way it would be. There's things that happen like that. It's part of trying to get a team going.
Someone must of bought Yost a "Baseball Managing for Dummies" book. "I think I did that..." and "I was hoping...." don't sound like the

words of a confident person. Why would Yost call someone out in the dugout, then try and explain his motivations for said action to reporters the next day? It makes him look like a phony.

this reeks of his postgame attitude. It's like in every postgame, he's trying to prove that he knew exactly which buttons were being pressed, and that he's smarter than the fans & media. It's an "of course I knew"...like he's trying to prove something. This reeks of the same "of course I got everyone against me, that was my goal". Right.

Yost has been doing this all season. The first time was back in April during a Brewers/Cubs game. The Brewers had tied the game the inning before and Villanueva couldn't find the strike zone. Yost popped out and gave his "one way conversation".

The thing is we really don't know what he is saying out there. He could be going out and telling the pitcher to look at the cute girl in the second row. Managers have said stranger things to players.

Well, I've still got this game on my tivo, and watching it again I'd doubt that is what he said.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

The thing that is too bad in this is that a lot of people are going to think there is a causation stemming from the "fight" that is resulting in them playing better, when in reality it was just due to happen. I could care less what the media writes about the reason for them winning games, though, just so long as they keep winning games.

Right. They were bound to play better sooner or later, but I'm not about yet to believe that this team is going to go on a hot streak. They have to start winning on the road for me to be convinced.

I do think that this team needed a spark of some kind. They looked dead for a while, tonight was a much different game... or maybe it just seems that way because they won.

I do think that this team needed a spark of some kind. They looked dead for a while, tonight was a much different game... or maybe it just seems that way because they won.

I do think that they need something -- but I still think they are bringing a sloppy product to the ball-park. If Ned wants to spin this into a motivational opportunity thats OK, but I doubt anything good will come from this.

Archived