Brewer Fanatic

If Yost were to be fired after the season, whom would you choose as a replacement?

BREWCREW5
If this is as bad as it gets then we will start to play better soon. There is still a lot of season left and I doubt that Yost gets fired midseason unless there is a 10 game losing streak. Just have to see our record at the end of the season. Still lots of time to either have a monumental collapse of meteoric rise.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but didnt he quit because he didnt have the "passion for the game" anymore?

Jim Leyland quit for the same reason, and I think he has the passion back. I'd think Hargrove would be ready for next year. Also, theres circles that believe he lost a power struggle in the organization over Ichiro, and thats the real reason he quit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Still lots of time to either have a monumental collapse of meteoric rise.

I agree 100%. I think August could really make or break Ned --If they go 10-20ish in August I expect that Neds head would be on the block, if they go

20-10, I suspect he will be a frontrunner for MOY.

As a sidenote, the MOY award should be renamed "Team that surprised the sportswriters the most" -- as managers of teams that repeat high levels of performance seem to be automatically disqualified, when a guy like Francona may be doing a better job year after year than any other manager in the game -- it's largely a sham/perception award.

Yost is a good clubhouse, poor in-game manager. After yesterday, it appears as though his poor in-game managing is starting to have a spillover effect into the clubhouse. That spells trouble for Ned's future, in my opinion.

As for a replacement, I think it should be a hard target search of every henhouse, outhouse, and doghouse in a 5,000 mile radius, and let the best man win. I believe the best candidate is definitely Mr. Outside Hire.

Yost has 3 losing and 1 break-even season. At the recent pace, this team looks like another break even squad. Can anyone name a manager in the last 50 years with such a modest record turning that same team into a playoff team? I can't. Whatever his positives or negatives, this team won't likely win under his leadership so a change is in order.

Two I'd consider are Kremblas and Sedar. All Kremblas does is win. That isn't that easy to do consistenly at the AAA level. I like Sedar's disposition and he seems to have a deep understanding of the game.

Personally, if the Brewers do end up getting a new manager, I'd prefer it to be a veteran manager with a track record of winning. I wouldn't want to try someone just because they're a Brewer alumni like Sveum or Cooper or whomever. That's why I suggested LaRussa earlier, if he ends up leaving the Cards.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

At some point, Yost is going to lose his job as Brewers' manager because his teams have consistently failed to play well after the all-star break. I for one hope the Brewers can snap out of this recent funk and finish strong, but recent history isn't too promising.

I don't care if Yost is great in the clubhouse or not, whether he's a great in-game manager or not, the fact is that he's been given somewhat of a pass during his first 3-4 seasons as Brewers' manager due to a lack of MLB talent or crippling injuries on a thin roster. This season, that's not an excuse, and if this slide continues, I'd be shocked if management doesn't make a change this offseason, or even sooner. Many times getting a fresh face and perspective to lead a team improves the team's performance.

As for the recurring theme of Yost berating a pitcher on the mound, and now apparently berating a position player in the dugout for physical errors/mistakes - There's a time and a place to "get on" a player, as well as a time and place to counsel/comfort/encourage a player - not all players respond well to certain "motivational" tactics, and it's the manager's job to identify how each players handles differing coaching styles. IMO, Yost does not have a solid grasp of his roster's individual personalities, and repeatedly berating individual players for physical errors wears very thin on a roster - especially if the players themselves feel like they are all giving maximum effort.

From Yost's point of view, he probably sees the opportunity this team has to succeed and wants to do anything possible to help the team win. I think managers who don't handle pressure well tend to overmanage, overthink, and overanalyze within the individual games rather than allowing players to take care of things themselves. In baseball, managers seem to get in the way of a team's success much more than enhancing it. While Yost experienced past success in the Braves' organization, he wasn't the manager of that team. Just because he was on Cox's staff doesn't give him the same credit that Cox justly receives for managing the Braves' success. I hope management understands that.

I think I might have the perfect guy: Bobby Valentine. Valentine is the type of fiery leader that this team could really use. I think he would be a great choice to replace Yost. I mentioned Girardi a few posts back but the way he destroyed the Florida pitching staff has me saying no way to him. I think he might have completely ruined Josh Johnsons career.

Bobby Valentine? Oh my. I agree he'd a pretty good short term guy, but he's been a real pain in the neck for every organization he's been in. They've all run him out after a short tenure, even though he's always done a decent job on the field. He'd be here for a year and a half and then be gone no matter what the results on the field would be, good or bad.

I just don't think you are going to get anything much different than what you already have, no matter who you hire. I hope they stay the course, ride through the bumpy times and establish a firm foundation with this solid core of young players and stability in the Mgr position.

I get the sense Girardi is lying in the weeds waiting for the Yankees job to open up. I wouldn't discount the proximity to his hometown Chicago that Milwaukee would provide him. Others have made good points about his mismanagement with his pitching staff and confrontational style (while some may argue might not be a bad thing for this team).

Bobby Valentine has proven he can win but at the same time, he stikes me as a guy who also would wear out his welcome after a few years. I think we have a 4-5 year window where we'll control the destiny of many of our youngsters so he might be the guy that could get through to them and win in the near future.

My pick: Girardi

Hey, gang. One more time. Let's keep this thread focused on Yost replacements rather than the legitimacy of him keeping his job. "Who kidnapped Ned Yost?" is available to discuss his job performance.

Thanks! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

(edit: killed link to locked thread; the new 'catch-all' Yost thread is now "Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread". --1992)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've always gotten the impression that Valentine likes coaching in Japan and hasn't really considered moving back, but I very well could be off there. If he wanted to come back, he'd be a good choice, though.

I'm also curious about Cito Gaston. I know he's turned down some hitting coach offers, but perhaps he'd be more interested in coming back as a manager? It would be kind if funny if he managed the Brewers, since Gord Ash was the one who fired him in Toronto.

I'll end this post by saying the name Joe Torre.

edit: can Bill Hall coach?

im Leyland quit for the same reason, and I think he has the passion back. I'd think Hargrove would be ready for next year. Also, theres circles that believe he lost a power struggle in the organization over Ichiro, and thats the real reason he quit.

Leyland quit after the season was over. Quitting in the middle of the year with a team in position to contend ins't nearly the same thing.

Can anyone name a manager in the last 50 years with such a modest record turning that same team into a playoff team?
Tom Kelly has a stretch of very poor seasons before they turned it around. Granted he won before that but it was with a differant set of players. It should also be noted Ned is not managing the same team he did even three years ago either.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Please not

LaRussa - Way to many double switches and general tinkering. The guy hasn't seen a substitution he doesn't like.

Girardi - Overused young pitchers, but I suspect that came more from the front office than him.(Melvin seems to be the one behind the innings limit for our young pitchers.) He was just using what he was given. Chicago guy.

If we were to change managers I hope that we would get somebody who thinks out of the box. From what I see most managers seem to manage pretty much the same. Changing lineups around won't make much difference unless you do something drastic like having the pitcher lead off.(that would have a very negative effect) The most important thing is to put your best 8 hitters on the field at the same time. Guys need days off to stay fresh for the whole season so you can't put your best players out there every day. The only real effect a manager could make in the win column would be to put your best reliever out there in the highest leverage situations, but who does that. Find a manager that doesn't manage with a cookie cutter and I can get behind that.

I blame Wang.

I think Girardi said he'd only go back to managing if he could take the job with the Cubs. That's why he turned down the job with the Orioles earlier this year.

Call me crazy on this one, but what about Ozzie Guillen? I'm only half-serious, but it seems to me like there's a need for a semi-fiery leader. I just don't know if he'd be able to lead the young kids, since his time with the White Sox has been all with old guys. And he is becoming a minor pariah in Chicago since the White Sox have firmly planted themselves in the toilet and are now just threatening to pull the handle.

I don't like the personalities of either LaRussa or Guillen. If you think Yost is condecending then you would hate LaRussa. Guillen says really stupid things in the media.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What's Cito Gaston doing these days? I never understood how he fell off the face of the baseball earth after winning 2 titles in Toronto.

Great call. Still can't believe he never got another shot. Gaston would be a dark-horse candidate for me but the manager I really wouldn't mind seeing here is Bobby Valentine.

A friend of mine peaked my interest by mentioning Tommy Lasorda. I like the sound of Tommy coming out of retirement to coach Prince and the gang for a few years. Only problem with that is Tommy isn't coming out of retirement. My pick... Tom Treblehorn.

Archived