Brewer Fanatic

LaPorta to Helena? Nope, W.V., First Must Rehab Quadriceps

Rojo21

While he was subbing for Bill Schroeder, I thought Dan O'Brien said that LaPorta was going to West Virginia, but at the end of the Notes section in today's paper, there was this:

Quote:
As is their custom, the Brewers will bring LaPorta to Milwaukee to work out and meet reporters before assigning him rookie ball.
Obviously, we'll find out pretty soon anyway, but I just thought that was an interesting disagreement.

EDIT: Subject Update...

LaPorta is a rather old draft pick keep in mind. He turned 22 in January which means he is even old for a college senior. In general 22 year old college seniors don't do as well but LaPorta of course was back due to injury. All this says is that to be worth a first round pick being paid slot money he really should be in Milwaukee by 2009 when he's 24. So I think we might see the greatest push on a prospect in the Melvin era.

Quote:
All this says is that to be worth a first round pick being paid slot money he really should be in Milwaukee by 2009 when he's 24. So I think we might see the greatest push on a prospect in the Melvin era.

If he weren't changing positions, I'd agree, but he's moving to the OF. I think the switch will slow down the timetable a little.

LaPorta will be in left field, and Jenks' contract will expire after `08.

I think he's gonna be in left on Opening Day `09...

As the Brewers begin their push for a World Series three-peat. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

That seems like it may be the plan. Now it remains to be seen if LaPorta will cooperate by playing well. You never know until they get there. It would be even better if Gwynn, Cain, Ford, Gillespie, Brantley or Fermaint (et al) would gunk things up a bit by developing into something special.

the brewers have never let the inability to play defense slow a players progression down before, so they won't with Laporta either...

he'll be promoted very aggresively...you just dont draft a guy 7th and then keep him in the minors until he's 26

We kind of need to get him signed first. I'm surprised he hasn't signed already. All I can think is he's demanding significantly over slot money. Otherwise there is no reason to have not signed as he is beginning to miss out on development time.

[ We kind of need to get him signed first. I'm surprised he hasn't signed already. All I can think is he's demanding significantly over slot money. Otherwise there is no reason to have not signed as he is beginning to miss out on development time. ]

Don't worry about it, he already signed for slot money. They're just working out the language of the contract.

They're just working out the language of the contract.

Boras demands that each contract his client signs has clauses which read:

"SCOTT BORAS RULEZ!!!1!"

and

"I, GENERAL MANAGER X, JUST GOT HOSED BY BORAS. BWAHAHA."

There's probably also something about making Melvin reaffirm that he indeed signed A-Rod for $250 mil and how much that's awesome.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

www.dailymail.com/story/S...ower+bats/

Milwaukee draft pick will bring pop to Power bats

Jacob Messer

Charleston Daily Mail Sportswriter

Only three South Atlantic League teams hit more home runs in the first half of the season than the West Virginia Power.

That number might be zero in the second half, which starts today.

Former University of Florida slugger Matt LaPorta, Milwaukee's 2007 first-round draft pick, will report to Charleston soon to join the Brewers' low Class A affiliate, a team executive said this week.

However, LaPorta first must go to Arizona. There, he will rest and rehabilitate a minor strain in his right quadriceps.

"We don't want him to come in there with a nagging injury," Milwaukee Director of Player Development Reid Nichols said.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has reported that LaPorta is close to signing a $2 million deal with the Brewers, who selected him with the seventh overall pick.

LaPorta, 22, hit 74 home runs in his four-year college career. He ranks third in Southeastern Conference history and ninth in NCAA history in career homers.

LaPorta hit 14 home runs as a freshman, 26 as a sophomore, 14 as a junior and 20 as a senior. He was the SEC Player of the Year in his sophomore and senior seasons.

When asked if LaPorta would arrive in time for West Virginia's game against Kannapolis Thursday night at Appalachian Power Park, Nichols said, "Probably not. But he'll be there soon."

LaPorta led the nation in on-base percentage (.582) this season. He also ranked second in on-base plus slugging percentage (1.399), fifth in slugging percentage (.817) and ninth in home runs (20).

LaPorta left Florida with a .323 career batting average.

"He was the best power hitter available at our spot in the draft," Nichols said. "He is a good hitter, too. He has a nice path to the ball."

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound LaPorta was a catcher in high school and a catcher in college. However, he will play left field in the pros, according to Milwaukee Director of Amateur Scouting Jack Zduriencik.

"We felt that this, in our estimation, was one of the best hitters in the country and one of the best power hitters in the country," Zduriencik told the Journal Sentinel earlier this month.

"So it was intriguing to us, the fact that, where we were picking and where we are as an organization, to bring a guy into your system that may be able to help you at a couple different positions."

An injury hindered LaPorta in his junior season, causing his draft stock to drop. The Boston Red Sox selected LaPorta in the 14th round last year, but didn't reach an agreement with him. He decided to return to Florida for his senior season.

The Chicago Cubs also drafted LaPorta in the 14th round in 2003, after he graduated from Charlotte (Fla.) High School, but they couldn't sign him, either.

"Simply put, LaPorta can flat-out hit. Period," according to a 2007 draft analysis on milb.com. "LaPorta has as much power as any bat, especially from the college ranks, in this draft class. He's got power to all fields and can hit the ball out of any ballpark with any kind of bat."

Former Florida Gator Matt LaPorta hit 74 homers in four college seasons. He?ll report to the Power soon.

http://www.dailymail.com/images/062107LaPorta%203.jpg

I didn't want to say anything until the organization confirmed what it had said all along -- that LaPorta would play at WV -- but this goes down as another example of Haudricourt's inexcusable laziness, especially when it comes to the Brewers' minor league system. Brian was very kind to try to excuse "rookie ball" as generic terminology, but it isn't.

Most of us here work hard at other jobs or school, but most of us who cared knew that (a) LaPorta logically would start in A ball and (b) the Brewers had explicitly said LaPorta would start in A ball. I'm a loyal, lifelong J-S reader, but IMHO both the paper and the fans deserve better effort than what Olsen and now Haudricourt have put forth.

Greg.

[ actually, in baseball circles I've heard A often referred to as Rookie ball, too. I don't know why that is, though. Maybe they think of A+ as A, and low A as advanced Rookie. ]

I think the casual reader may not know what "A" ball is (compared to AA and AAA)... so, putting myself in their shoes, maybe "rookie ball" is more descriptive... of course, there's no reason not to give a 5-7 word explanation.

Mea culpa. Jack Z says in the J-S story today that LaPorta will play first for the AZ Brewers, albeit very briefly. It's only fair to assume that Tom H. knew about that plan when he wrote the earlier story.

Greg.

Archived