Brewer Fanatic

8/4/05 Brewers (Davis) vs. Mets (Benson) 11:10 AM CST

7rebmun
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

FV,

I was thinking the same thing. I wondered allowed if Helling would be able to bat for himself in the 5th inning - maybe that's why they pulled him so they could pinch hit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW YORK -- Geoff Jenkins tied a career high with five hits and the Brewers set a season high with 21 hits in their 12-9, come-from-behind win over the Mets on Thursday in front of 30,359 fans at Shea Stadium.

Trailing, 9-7, going into the ninth inning, the Brewers rallied to score five runs on six hits off Roberto Hernandez (5-5) to stun the Mets. Julio Santana (3-5) was the winner despite allowing a run in the bottom of the eighth, and Derrick Turnbow pitched for the third straight day and pinned down his 23rd save.

Bill Hall sparked the winning rally with a leadoff double, and he scored on Brady Clark's fourth hit, a single. Jenkins then hit a game-tying single and Damian Miller legged out a go-ahead infield hit before Wes Helms hit a two-run double that bounced past center fielder Carlos Beltran.

The Mets' Mike Piazza finished a triple shy of the cycle and drove in five runs, but the Brewers took the series, two games to one, and head to Philadelphia within one game of .500.

The Brewers actually may need some relief pitching tomorrow, and everyone but Helling and DLR are overworked right now. Turnbow, Eveland, Santana, and Lehr may not be able to pitch any more than 2-3 inning between themselves tomorrow, and I wouldn't use Lehr or Santana (and maybe not even Turnbow) at all.

Quote:
God I love the brew-crew but its hurts so much!

AND IT HURTS SO GOOD!!!!!

Man, Tuesday was so trying, and then the last two days, they just erupted...I really felt they'd fall apart if after that loss, or blow up if they won...I'm so glad they erupted after the loss

Let's pray that the Sheets are filthy tomorrow night!!!!

Quote:
This was such a great game, I just wish I would have been able to at least hear it on the radio instead of following online. I'll bet Uecker was going nuts!

Went to lunch, turned on the game on the way home for the 9th, yea, Ueck was excited, not going totally nuts though.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I lay awake for one hour before I got one hour of sleep (the game finished about 6:30 am here). I was too excited to sleep. My one hour of sleep I got made me late for work. But I am here at work now hmmming Christmas songs. I am humming them subconsciencely (however the heck you spell it).

You better watch out.

You better not shout.

Better not worry even with the Nedster

Jenks and Lee, even Clark will, come through.

Davis had a problem

Helms was on the bench

The pitching was so terribly bad

It was just a big, big stench

But the youngsters came through

The oldsters came through

The catchers were there

Even two of them - TRUE

Brewers are marching to town.

I think team streak's song was "The Beat Goes On". It is nice to be in a season where we still have chance. We have to keep winning series after series, and it would help to put some week long winning streaks in there as well. It won't be easy.

never mind just read the last 22 pages. What the heck do I have to miss a game like this http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

This calls for a beer. Ill drink to Jenks on this one.

Brewer party at Paddleds house! .500 here we come.

from espn game review

Trailing 9-8 in the ninth inning Thursday, Milwaukee manager Ned Yost considered his options. The Brewers were rallying with runners at first and second and none out against the New York Mets. Overbay, who singled home the go-ahead runs the night before and had singled home two runs earlier in this one, was coming up.

"As much as I wanted to bunt, I didn't want to give up an out," Yost said after a five-run ninth carried the Brewers to a 12-9 victory.

Overbay understood the circumstances and bunted on his own anyway, putting the tying run on third and the lead run on second.

-----------------------------

Funny, I did not rail re that bunt. Overbay and I were on the same page.

I do get grumpy at Ned, but I still say, all in all, I think he is best for the team. I really mean that and have said it often. But I will go stupidly upset if he does things that will (in my opinion) lessen our chances.

I almost think the biggest improvement we can now make in our team is the in game management!

Quote:
Afterward, teammates kidded Miller that he looked like Tom Berenger's character in the move "Major League," lumbering down the line with the bunt hit that won the pennant. "Taylor bunts!" Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker screamed in the visiting clubhouse after the game, recreating the call of his character, Harry Doyle, in that flick.

"I never get infield hits," Miller said. "It's catcher's karma. I hadn't stretched or picked up a baseball all day."

www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/aug05/346125.asp

Cool! I don't know why, but this kind of fluff stuff always makes me happy. I love Major League.

Archived