Brewer Fanatic

04/14/04 Milwaukee (Obermueller) @ San Francisco (Franklin)

squarepusher

I don't want to take him out before the 9th.

The crew will need a fresh bullpen against the Astros.

EDIT:

Well, Obie's out, and the Crew now is threatening.

Here is hoping Wayne Franklin is as bad as his detractors here say he is...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful outing for Wes. I'm a doubter where he's concerned, but he can go right ahead and keep making my doubts look more and more misplaced. Not to take anything away from him, but wow, the Giants without Bonds don't exactly scare you, do they?

Time for the relievers to earn their keep.

Glad to see Wayne Franklin finally helping us.

Greg.

gregmag

I didn't have many doubts about Obermueller, except for how long he would last in light of folks like Hendrickson, de la Rosa, Matt Ford, Manny Parra, and Mike Jones knocking on the door.

EDIT:

Looks like Wayne gets out of the potential big inning by inducing a DP.

Contrast this to how Kinney fell apart in the series opener against the Giants. Wayne might give up a bunch of hits and walks, but he can fight his way out of trouble at LEAST some of the time.

Kinney, on the other hand, often collapses into a big inning.

It's a shame that they walked Bonds and got the next guy to fly out. Jeff Bennet was robbed of a good learning experience there. They should have let Bonds go deep again and tie the game.

I really worry about Bennet's development as a pitcher now. His future has been scarred.

AJAY

As I said earlier, the situation in this game is different from the one in the opener.

Kinney needs to learn to pitch out of trouble if he is to become something other than a rehash of Jamey Wright. On the other hand, the situation today is different: The Crew needs to avoid a sweep, and that means playing the odds, and to heck with "developing" the pitcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Overbay walks!!!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice AJAY. You got a good chuckle out of me.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What is so important about avoiding the sweep? If they'd have won the other day by walking Bonds, would the NOT have walked him today?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Actually, clancy, it was the effect of seeing yet another thread turn into the saga of Kinney, Franklin, and Jamey Wright...

Nice win for the crew tho. Odd little Giant lineup, but Obermeuller still deserves some credit...maybe it's a thank-you card for allowing the highlights in games 1 and 2.

BREWERS WIN !!

But it's too bad Jeff Bennet's career has been ruined since he didn't get to pitch to Bonds. It's such a tragedy to see a young promising career go to waste..

I have mixed feelings about not being swept today. Was it really worth it to win this game?? I don't think so. I would rather be 4-6 with an angry fan base and a lot of empty seats.

Winning is not important at the big league level.

http://ideaspot.net/mlb/NL_Central/small/brewers1-sm.gif

SoCalBrewfan

Well, I will say this much: The series against the Giants showcased why I would have preferred Frnaklin over Kinney.

When Kinney got in trouble, it snowballed (arguably it was not entirely his fault) and a big inning was the result. But when Franklin let the first two guys on base in the 8th, he was able to pitch out of the jam he got himself into.

If I were a GM or manager, and I have to choose one starter out of two guys who tend to get into trouble, I'd be inclined take the guy who is better at pitching out of the trouble he gets himself into. That's just my thoughts on the matter. Obviously, Doug Melvin and most others here disagree.

yeah, Franklin getting Ginter to ground into a double play probably was just like Kinney pitching to Barry Bonds. I'm sure Franklin would have never given up a HR to Bonds because he can pitch out of jams. How can you seriously compare the two situations?

just when I started to respect Yost's decision to walk Bonds...... he proves he was full of excrement The Brewers were up3 in this game, not 2, like the last time. That completely changes the whole strategy. This walk doesn't put the tyeing run in scoring position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

But Yost said he want's his pitchers to battle? Bennett didn't battle by intentionally walking him, did he? What exactly did he learn?

It's simple. Yost is a wonderfull motivator, but I simply don't agree with many of his day to day decisions. With the team being as it is, he's probably still the best manager for the job, but there may come a time when his shortcomings can't be overlooked.

Archived