Brewer Fanatic

04/16/2004 - Milwaukee (Davis) @ Houston (Oswalt)

squarepusher

I'm not too worried about Davis, no matter what happens tonight. The heavily right-handed Houston lineup is one of the worst matchups for Davis in the NL. And the Cubs are probably just behind them. Realistically, he probably should struggle with the Astros tonight.

Robert

Ok so there was something of a minor storm of positive feeling heading into the home opener, but it didn't seem to greatly impact attendance. At what point do people start to get a little bit more interested? We've got a long home stand (11 games-4 series) coming up after Houston. Is taking 3 of 4 fom Houston enough to get people interested in the 2 games above .500 Brewers? I wouldn't expect a bandwagon or anything, but maybe some people deciding it might be worth it to see a game in April?

Doug will be fine.

Just gotta get a bunch of runs on the board.

These two statements are in direct contrast of one another. Not a lot of confidence in 'ole DD, huh clancy?

Doug Will be fine....just gotta get a bunch of runs on the board. Classic. By making one of those statements, you cannot logically write the other. How about either

Doug will get bombed...just gotta get a bunch of runs on the board

or Doung will be fine...our offense just needs to scratch out a couple of runs tonight.

I am leaning toward the former.

I've been looking at the splits for opposing batters to examine the "benefit" from the lefty starter, and to this point I'm underwhelmed. Houston is just stacked with guys who really make hay off lefties. St Louis was closer to neutral with Edmonds being severly neutralized, but a number of other batters benefiting to varying degrees. and SF was pretty much straight neutral Bonds appears slightly less dangerous against lefties having posted basically the same OPS over 3 years against both, but he loses .050 points of OBP against lefties (probably an indication they challenge him more frequently). I'm hoping we start finding these line-ups that we can "exploit" with our lefties or it's hard to see the point of making a big deal about it in the first place.

I've been looking at the splits for opposing batters to examine the "benefit" from the lefty starter, and to this point I'm underwhelmed.

Someone should write an article about that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Robert

Ok so there was something of a minor storm of positive feeling heading into the home opener, but it didn't seem to greatly impact attendance. At what point do people start to get a little bit more interested?

I think it would have been there if Sunday had not been Easter. That produced a very small crowd (11,000) and negated any effect of a larger crowd on Saturday. That being said, I don't think positive feeling should only be looked at as impacting the immediate home games, but other games throughout the season. Certainly walk-up attendance is a good measure, but there are certainly people who buy tickets a week, a month, or more, in advance.

Ok so there was something of a minor storm of positive feeling heading into the home opener, but it didn't seem to greatly impact attendance.

Actually, the opener was rather large(2nd largest in MP history), i think the reason the last 2 crowds in the series were so small was because the brewers lost the first (the "oh no here we go again" feeling was setting in.) the last game was on easter, so i wasnt shocked not too many people went to that game. I think the attendence should be around 23,000-30,000 for the first series, seeing as it's richie's first time back, the fact that Yount is one of the Dback coaches can't hurt attendence either.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Chances are that Doug will pitch well tonight. Most likely Berman won't take him deep again, considering the fact that he is terrible against lefties - .261 BA (not terrible), .409 SLG (terrible) and only 11 of his 129 career HR's. Hopefully Davis will pitch well enough to be able to pitch around Hidalgo whenever possible, and be careful to Bagwell / Kent.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I feel the same way about Yount as a coach as I did about Pete Rose the manager when people suggested Rose as the manager would put butts in the seats.

WHO goes to a game to see the manager? The first base coach?

I'd want to see Yount IF I went to the game, but I'm not buying the ticket because of him.

The Brewers averaged 28,000 for a weekend series with Arizona last September. I'd have to think it will be less than that for a weekday series in April. I'd be surprised if the average is much over 21,000.

Robert

Brewers, thanks to Geoff Jenkins, actually hit Oswalt better, average wise, than Houston hits Doug Davis. Houston has, however, hit more dingers in fewer ABs 69 to 80

Astros vs. Davis

Brad Ausmus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .250 (1-4)

Jeff Bagwell . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .167 (2-12)

Lance Berkman . . . . . . . . . . .300 (3-10, 1 HR)

Craig Biggio . . . . . . . . . . . . .308 (4-13, 1 HR)

Raul Chavez . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .000 (0-2)

Morgan Ensberg . . . . . . . . . . .250 (1-4, 1 HR)

Adam Everett . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .500 (3-6)

Richard Hidalgo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .333 (3-9)

Jeff Kent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .200 (1-5, 1 HR)

Orlando Palmeiro . . . . . . . . . . . . . .250 (1-4)

Totals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .275 (19-69, 4 HR)

BREWERS VS OSWALT

Gary Bennett . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .667 (2-3)

Brady Clark . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .000 (0-5)

Craig Counsell . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .250 (1-4)

Keith Ginter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .286 (2-7)

Ben Grieve . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 BB

Bill Hall . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .250 (3-12)

Wes Helms . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .333 (3-9, 1 HR)

Geoff Jenkins . . . . . . . . . . . .438 (7-16, 1 HR)

Chad Moeller . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .500 (1-2)

Lyle Overbay . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .000 (0-3)

Scott Podsednik . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .154 (2-13)

Junior Spivey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .500 (3-6)

Totals . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .300 (24-80, 2 HR)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Like Clancy said, tough luck for Davis. Pitched a nice game against a tough offense and Oswalt on the other side is throwing a gem. Them's the breaks I guess.

I had a feeling we were due for one of these, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow. This has been one of the most boring games to listen to ever.

Archived